main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One What was your reaction the first time seeing the Vader hallway scene?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Blue 5, May 9, 2017.

1. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    We all saw Vader being a badass in videogames, etc... it was cool to see it in an official movie.

And the shot when he lights his lightsaber, you cannot be more badass than that.

Blue 5 and christophero30 like this.
  2. SmallTatooineSun

SmallTatooineSun Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 16, 2016
    I was underwhelmed by it too. I think I was trying to process everything that had just happened and don't even remember the part where the hallway was dark. I remember seeing Vader kill all the dudes, but it seemed a bit out of place with the tone of the rest of movie.

I understand why lots of people thought it was awesome, but it wasn't like I had been waiting for years to see it. I was also more bothered by the neck part of his helmet than I should have been.

3. TheRebelFleet

TheRebelFleet Jedi Padawan

Apr 21, 2017
    I think Darth Vader's helmet was like that in ANH. His neck was a bit exposed and the helmet was too 'big.'

4. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I was waiting the entire movie for it.

5. Dr_Cthulhu

Dr_Cthulhu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    In Star Wars, the Tantive IV had been captured, and in Empire Strikes Back there was a blockade in place that was expected to catch fleeing ships, but there was an urgency to the situation in Rogue One that required his direct involvement. The raiding party he brought with him in the shuttle could not possibly secure the Profundity in time to stop the transfer or transmission of the plans without his participation.

6. Vader0706

Vader0706 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2017
    I had goosebumps and a tightness in my chest from excitement!

Like those similar tightness you get when you go see a new SW film and the "Long time ago..." text appears and you know you are seconds away from the opening crawl..

This is what I felt when the hallway scene happened!

Blue 5 and Ricardo Funes like this.
  7. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    [face_nail_biting]
    [face_hypnotized]
    :anakin:
    =D=

Blue 5 likes this.
  8. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Personally I think the switch between Jyn and Cassians death on Scarif and Vader is incredibly well done. I'm no cinematic expert but I think Edwards perfectly evoked the feeling of a "postscript" to the story that didn't overshadow what had come before became it was deliberately atmospheric and unspecific, we weren't following any one rebel dramatically the way we had followed the lead characters.

9. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017

I agree. Been a Vader fan since 77, and I clapped in the theater when he appeared in that scene. Then I realized what he was about to do. Oops. :)

Lady_Misty, EHT, Snafu55 and 2 others like this.
  10. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Did anybody notice how the one rebel guy closed the door when there were still rebels alive and well and trying to fight off Vader? Instead of yelling at them to get in or at least try to get in before he closed the door.

Snafu55 and christophero30 like this.
  11. christophero30

May 18, 2017

Wasn't he buying time so they could get the plans to the ship?

Lady_Misty likes this.
  12. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    You could argue that.

But even after he had the plans, there were still rebels fighting Vader who might have been able to jump into the ship right before the door closes. Those guys were still full on facing Vader when this other guy just closes the door on them. Even if they die in the end, at least make the effort to get them on board.

christophero30 likes this.
  13. christophero30

May 18, 2017

I took it as a bit harsh but a reminder about the cause and how important the plans were. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few to quote Spock. :)

Lady_Misty, Snafu55 and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  14. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I think the door closed automatically before the guys on the Tantive side of the door knew what was happening in the hallway on the other side where Vader was about to appear. Then it got jammed, a few inches open. I think troopers on both sides were trying to get it open when the trooper was yelling "help us!". By the time Vader and the plans had made it down the hall to the door, they had given up on getting out of there and just wanted to get the plans through that space. That's when the trooper yelled "take it!". Ironically, right after he gave it to someone on the other side, Vader impaled him and the door with his lightsaber, and the door opened again.

15. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    On the Profundity I took it as Vader closing and jamming the door with the Force before he made his presence known. The trooper who closes the Tantive IV door really had no choice though since Vader was inches away from getting on board the ship.

16. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    That's definitely possible, too, but he probably should have used the Force to jam it all the way closed, instead of leaving that three inch space that the plans got passed through. :p

17. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    True. Maybe it jammed on it's own before he could close it all the way.

Recently I noticed one of the most chilling parts of that scene. Just before the Tantive door closes on the Rebel trooper who fell to the floor outside you can see him reach out and scream "Wait!" Brutal!

18. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    [​IMG]

19. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    Rumor has it that one of the deleted scenes is Vader performing a VICIOUS execution move on that rebel. That guy totally looked like he was going to make it, too, he just picked a bad time to stumble. The guy carrying the plans stumbled but was lucky to be in the right spot to close Vader off.

Oh Disney...about those deleted scenes...

Lady_Misty and christophero30 like this.
  20. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    I felt sorry for all those guards that were no equal match for Vader - that was my initial reaction.

Lady_Misty and christophero30 like this.
  21. Jim Smith

Jim Smith Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 5, 2017

You seem to be oblivious to the fact that if those few remaining Rebels makes it on board the Tantive IV then Vader does too.

22. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Not oblivious. Just wanted to bring it up was all.

23. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    That's a really interesting point and a tough call. I think at that point, after mowing through a dozen rebels with ease and literally being an Unstoppable Force, you as holder of the plans have to prioritize the mission and respect the reality that if you wait around, everyone dies and Vader acquires the plans.

Jyn made a similar call when Cassian got shot climbing the vault. She didn't know he died and analyzed the fall he took, and you could tell it hurt to leave him but it looked like a kill shot and she knew she had to keep the mission top priority.

24. christophero30

May 18, 2017

It was an emotional scene for sure. I went from cheering for Vader to almost crying. That movie really showed the cost of war and of a higher purpose. Kudos to Disney for allowing a complex mature war film to be released. :)

25. OneTrueOverlord

OneTrueOverlord Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 19, 2015
    Couldn't find the Michael Sheen giggling clip from the final Twilight movie

but you know

I was like that