main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What was your reaction when Darth Vader told Luke that he was his father???

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth_Xizor, Nov 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Xizor

Darth_Xizor Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 1, 2003
    The first time you saw ESB, what was your reaction in the theater? What were other people's reaction? Did they gasp??? Scream? Unfortunately for me, I wasn't born until 1990 :( so I never saw it in theaters.

2. ForceMaster101

ForceMaster101 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 30, 2003
    I was shocked.

3. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Darth Vader is Luke's father?!?!??

I already knew about it, actually. I was about 7 or 8 when I first saw the movies and I had already heard the "I am your father" thing but never made the connection, then my friend was like "Hey look, this is where Vader tells Luke he's his father!"

This was the same person who said the battle of Hoth was boring.

We're not friends anymore.

;)

4. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I screamed "NOOOOOOOOO!"
    Then I jumped out of the window of my house. Fortunately my sister caught me. Then we made out.

Rick McCallum loves you!

5. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    The battle of Hoth is boring.

;)

I didn't see it in theaters, and it wasn't that big of a deal to me. I don't think it would have been had I seen it in theaters, either. "All part of the story... Makes Vader more human." These were the kind of thoughts I had.

6. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    I was eight years old when I first saw it...in 1980, in its first run in theaters. My initial reaction? He's lying--he's trying to manipulate Luke. At the end of the movie I thought he might be telling the truth, but I wasn't sure. It was horrible to have to wait three years to find out. You young whipper-snappers don't know how easy you've got it. ;)

7. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I already knew because I didn't see the trilogy until I was 12 or 13 and kids at school had told me before then. Way to go, kids at school. :mad:

8. Crispy_Fried_Dentic

Crispy_Fried_Dentic Jedi Youngling star 2

May 27, 2003
    I saw it at its original release and I was surprised. I figured Vader was lying, but inside I hoped it was true because I thought that would be an incredible thing. The worst guy ever in the GFFA really was Luke's dad?! :eek: Whoa! I also fantasized that Vader would turn and join the rebellion...that would have been the ultimate in cool for me :cool:. Of course, he turned back to the light but he died; to this day I wish he would have lived.

9. Soulboy

Soulboy Jedi Youngling

Nov 12, 2003
    I was 11. I didn't believe it. I remember thinking that Vader was lying...saying anything he needed to say to trick Luke into joining him. Needless to say, I was corrected...lol!

10. Spacehunter24

Spacehunter24 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    I honestly can't remember how I reacted. I was only about 1&1/2 when the film first came out, and I first saw it on video a couple years later. I don't remember if I already knew about it by then or not, though.

11. IncomT65

IncomT65 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 1999
    I already knew because I didn't see the trilogy until I was 12 or 13 and kids at school had told me before then. Way to go, kids at school.

Yeah, that'll lead ya to the Dark Side...

I didn't really have any reaction when I saw it. Maybe because I saw RotJ first.

By the way, I l o v e the Simpsons episode where Homer comes out of the cinema, after seeing ESB, and says: "I can't believe Darth Vader is Luke's father!" And there's a huge line of people waiting for the ESB! Brilliant!

12. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    By the way, I l o v e the Simpsons episode where Homer comes out of the cinema, after seeing ESB, and says: "I can't believe Darth Vader is Luke's father!" And there's a huge line of people waiting for the ESB! Brilliant!

[face_laugh]

That was so FUNNY!!!!!

my first thought was Darth Vader was trying to trick Luke so that he could kill him. Then again, i was like 5 years old, very vague thought.

13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I was 5, I barely remember but I seem to recall thinking Vader must have been lying 'cuz...well...he was bad...and...uh...Luke was good...and stuff.

14. Kinobe

Kinobe Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2003
    I wasn't shocked, cos I knew already. I was only old enough to see ROTJ in the cinema, was a bit too young when ESB was out, and at first only had ANH and ROTJ taped off the TV. They never really showed ESB on TV much, so that's the last one I saw...

15. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I thought, "What's next? Is Leia gonna turn-out to be Luke's sister?"

16. ForceMaster101

Aug 30, 2003
    Whoa. We got a psychic person here.

17. Warrior_of_Mandalore

Warrior_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003
    Well, I was -10 when the movie came out, so I saw it in 1997, when I was 7. Unfortunately, I knew about the whole father thing. It went something like this...

[flashback] I was but a wee thing at 7 years old, the special edition was just coming out, and everyone in Mrs. Koons's 2nd grade class was crazy over Star Wars. I had just seen ANH, and my friend and I worked on a Star Wars puzzle together. There was an image of Grand Moff Tarkin in the lower left hand corner. It was kind of a bad angle, and the lighting made him look weird, but I digress. Anyway, In the bathroom at my school, I asked my friend "Who's that guy in the lower left hand corner?" He said, "I'm not sure. I think it's Luke's father." Then, of course, one of the big third graders behind us said "NO, DARTH VADER IS LUKE'S FATHER!!" My world collapsed around me :(. I refused to beleive him until I saw ESB for myself. [/flashback]

Whew.

I've been waiting to tell that story for years.

Sorry if I rambled, but that's my twisted tail of woe.

Warrior_of_Mandalore Strikes Again!

18. ForceMaster101

Aug 30, 2003
    The worst spoiler ever!

19. SW3TheHolidaySpecial

SW3TheHolidaySpecial Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 2001
    I reacted thusly: No!Thats not true!Thats impossible!

20. damndirtyape

damndirtyape Jedi Youngling

Nov 24, 2003
    I saw it in the theatre in 1980 when I was 11. I reacted exactly the way Luke did: I thought he must be lying! Why would Honest Obe tell Luke that Vader killed his father? Well, apparently my "certain point of view" was all wrong. Anyway, it was a definite surprise to me.

21. Mad_Jon

Mad_Jon Jedi Youngling

Aug 1, 2003
    My first thought: "Wow. Who saw that one coming?" My second thought: "Sucks to be Luke."

22. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    My heart pounded with shock, and horror! I was ten!

Then I thought, what must have he gone through to be so rotten? Why did Obi-wan lie? What is this?

23. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    Of course, he turned back to the light but he died; to this day I wish he would have lived.

Ditto here, although the "good" Rebel Alliance would have called for his head on a stick. :(

24. TheUnchosenOne

TheUnchosenOne Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 11, 2001
    Of course, this was the key moment in Star Wars, wasn't it? This was when Star Wars stopped being just a fun movie and became something more. Something darker.

I found out by reading the Marvel comic adaptation before seeing the movie (I've been a spoiler junkie since 1980, I guess.)

My reaction? I never disbelieved it. What choice did I have? It made sense right away for some reason.

But later, when fandom was whipping up uncertainty about whether Vader was telling the truth, and who "the other" was, I had my doubts.

But I think I always knew ? once Vader let the cat out of the bag, so to speak.

Lucas is brilliant. Let's leave it at that.

25. Darth_Tynaus

Darth_Tynaus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    You know, I honestly can't remember. I wasn't even ten years old when the Empire Strikes Back came out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.