main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What was your reaction when Darth Vader told Luke that he was his father???

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth_Xizor, Nov 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Ditto here, although the "good" Rebel Alliance would have called for his head on a stick.

:_|

That would have been Luke's chance to show how noble he was and go into hiding with his father.

2. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I don't recall a reaction, I had already known about it. . .vaguely, so I was not really surprised by it. :(

3. Lord-Vegas

Lord-Vegas Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 8, 2003
    "Somehow, I've always known" :)

4. Crispy_Fried_Dentic

Crispy_Fried_Dentic Jedi Youngling star 2

May 27, 2003
    anakin_girl said:

Ditto here, although the "good" Rebel Alliance would have called for his head on a stick.

Do you really think so? I never thought that would happen. I figure the Rebels would strive to keep his survival a secret, to hide it from the bloodthirsty masses. I think they'd feel it's too "Empire-like" to have any kind of execution, either public or private. Also, they'd be fools to throw away all that juicy information Vader knows about the Empire. I'd bet the farm Anakin would spill anything they asked. ;)

5. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    He probably would, and Luke would try to stop his execution...but I'm thinking Han would definitely want him executed, and probably Leia, Lando and Mon Mothma as well.

I could be wrong though.

6. Darth_Marc

Darth_Marc Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 21, 2002
    I was 9 years old (saw ESB 4 times in a row the day I saw it). I took my younger sister, who was not a SW fan. That scene still holds the power of movie magic for me.... I was so shocked, I nearly fell out of my seat. For the years prior to ESB, I had Luke eventually killing Vader (by decapitation)....When he told him he was his pop, I was like, "WTF?" Whats he gonna do now? I really never thought that Luke could/would bring him back to the light side in ROTJ either.

7. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    I was 6. My reaction:

"Nuh-uuhhh!!!!"

8. FalconInToronto

FalconInToronto Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 23, 2003
    I screamed "NOOOOOOOOO!"
    Then I jumped out of the window of my house. Fortunately my sister caught me. Then we made out.

Dude you're freakin halirious. Back to the post. I think the only thing that sums it up is shock. Don't forget we didn't have the internet and all the info we have now. I had no idea at all and when this scene happened, the whole theatre just went completely silent! Talk about "shock and awe". Unbelievable that's all I gotta say. You had to have been there back then and when everyone was exiting the theatres, complete strangers were talking about it and they were still in shock :p The scene is famous for a good reason and I don't remember anything afterwards that has come close to having the same impact in any movie :)

9. Balrog_Paradox

Balrog_Paradox Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2003
    I didn't really get into Star Wars until long after that movie came out, so I can't even count how many times I'd heard "Luke, I am your father." It was quite the expected surprise.

10. 1701

1701 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 18, 2003
    Whan I heard that (I was 6) I thought that he was lying to Luke at first. A father cuttinfg his son's hand off. Anakin is a bad parent and a bad husband.

11. Gunrar

Gunrar Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2002
    My reaction was the same then as it is every time I see it now:

OH
    MY
    GOD!

Really, I never even considered that Vader might be lying. It was like a twisted nightmare; that the Hero we all aspired to be was, in fact, the spawn of evil. It was and still is extremely powerful and evocative moment. And a brave thing for a storyteller to do.

12. gregory12

gregory12 Jedi Youngling

Nov 27, 2003
    I said "Whaat...wha- No way"

13. DarthShona

DarthShona Jedi Master star 5

Jul 29, 2003
    Unfortunately I was born four years after the original release of ESB, and I didn't get a chance to see it in theaters when the SEs came out. :( I had to wait until that December when the original came on USA and it was the first of the series I ever saw.

Now that that's out of the way, I was flabbergasted when Vader said, "No... I am your father!" and the loud, slow Imperial March start up; I had the same facial expression as Luke!---> :eek:

14. gold-finger

gold-finger Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2003
    Well, the first time I saw empire was when I was two, so I don't remember my reaction(if i had one). I just sorta lived with the fact my whole life I guess.

15. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    I first saw ESB in 1980 when I was ten. I already knew about Vader being Luke's father since I had read the Marvel Comics adaptation a few weeks before. When I first read it, I had a feeling of unreality. I didn't like it, and I still don't. Darth Vader killed Luke's father, dog gone-it!

16. DarthShona

DarthShona Jedi Master star 5

Jul 29, 2003
    I forgot to add this to my first post...

After finding out he was Luke's father, it only made me even more interested in Vader's character and history.

17. Queengodess

Queengodess Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    I was ten when I saw all three movies in a row (one each day) and when Vader told Luke I was like - "YES! That makes perfect sense! Ah, this is so prefect, yes, yes, yes. Now Vader is gonna turn back for sure!"

That last part was so glaringly obvious - and I was blissfully happy. It was then I really, really started loving Vader. Now, he was not only an extremely cool bad guy, he was a bad guy with a history!

Curiously enough, I completely understood Obi-Wan's reasoning that Vader had killed Anakin - which is strange since I've developed a very strong resentment for that lie afterwards. But back then, it seemed perfectly clear. Those were the days...

18. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Well, I first saw ESB on tape in 1981, and I was nine at the time. In French, because I hadn't quite mastered the tongue of Shakespeare back then.

As many of you have said, when I heard: "Non, Luke... Je suis ton père", I was completely, utterly and horridly shocked. Luke's "Non! Ce n'est pas vrai! C'est impossible!" echoed exactly what I felt.

But when I saw ROTJ I thought about it more, and I couldn't help but feeling a lot of unanswered questions made sense:
    -Why Owen wouldn't let Luke go at the Academy. Well, because the Skywalker name would be pretty much like a red flag saying, "Hello, I'm Anakin's son!",
    -Why Obi-Wan had brushed aside the "You knew my father?" question as much as he had been able in ANH without destroying Luke's dreams in the process, and
    -Why Vader was extremely reluctant to have "the young Skywalker" disposed of earlier in ESB.

And as I watched ROTJ, I kept wondering why Anakin had fallen and how (and GL only answered part of those questions so far). And I was extremely disappointed our favourite dark lord couldn't live to redeem himself in the eyes of the GFFA, too.
    And that's why I've been reading too many Anakin redemption fics for my own good...

MTFBWY,

Laure ;)

19. Binder-lover

Binder-lover Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 3, 2003
    I screamed, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.