main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ what we did in our holidays

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SimplyThrilledHoney, Oct 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    (sigh) back to work then ....

Got back from Australia yesterday. Let me say, anyone who has the means, for heaven's sake go to "The Magic Of myth" exhibition. It was so good. Even my fairly non-enthuiastic wife was blown away by it. If you've already got the book, then there's no real surprises, but just actually *seeing* the stuff in real life was so amazing. And the presentation was just fantastic.

Also, the merchandise stall was brilliant.

Due to financial and space restrictions, the sum total of my purchases were a Republic Gunship (one word .... HUGE ... and a bargain at only NZ$99.95) and two Clonetrooper pilots. But the shop at the exhibition had all the new figures, as well as a whole bunch of lego, models, posters etc. The best collection of Star Wars stuff I have ever seen ...

So, a good time had by all.

For anyone interested, I also saw a few good bands/artists, including ...

Morrissey
    Mercury Rev
    The International Noise Conspiracy
    The Lucksmiths
    Oasis
    Mogwai
    The D4

Right ... better do some work now,

Lawrence

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I saw Magic of Myth in DC at the Smithsonian when it opened back in 98. No TMP stuff then obviously. And yeah my non-SW girlfriend (now wife) was also suitably impressed. :D

Oasis and Mercury Rev! :eek: You bastard! ;)

3. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    Mercury Rev were great ... it was the third time I've seen them, and they haven't disappointed yet. Oasis were really disappointing. I really love the first two albums, and despite their later albums being a little patchy, I think they're a great singles band. However, they were quite bland live ... no interaction with the crowd, no banter etc.

Morrissey, on the other hand, was amazing. The only person I've ever seen who I would describe as a "star". Just totally enigmatic, sexy, cool etc., despite being 40 now. I think that, even if you weren't a fan, you would have been blown away.

4. Kai_Halicon

Kai_Halicon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    I agree with the Oasis observations: they kinda lost the plot after Definitely Maybe & What's the story (morning glory). Too many drugs and getting banned by airlines will do that though.

Mercury Rev go off live, no doubt. How were Mogwai? I'm told that they are pretty damn fine in concert also.

5. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    Mogwai were good. I saw them back in '99 at the Powerstation, and at that point it was (apparently) the loudest gig ever at that venue. it was quite interesting, because for the first few minutes the volume was quite distressing, and then the endorphins kicked in and it became very relaxing. despite being incredibly loud, they are very melodic. Kinda like My Bloody Valentine in that respect. But, yeah, great live band ... nice light show too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.