main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT What were George Lucas original intentions for the death of Owen and Beru Lars?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Biel Ductavis, May 8, 2017.

1. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Maybe they simply set the whole homestead on fire the old fashioned way.

2. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Well, here's a possibility:

or this...

CT1138, Seagoat and Darth Caliban like this.
  3. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    In the extended origfinal ANH screenplay Vader gave specific orders to Praji not to attract attention.

The Jawas were killed by the stormtroopers but it was made to look as if the Sandpeople had done it.

Thus, I'm pretty certain that the same applied for the death of Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen, i.e. it was made to look as if the Sandpeople had done that, too.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The bottom line is that Lucas didn't change anything by adding Boba Fett in the SE, and both the old and new EU follow suit.

5. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    I thought everyone knew that the stormtroopers excuse was used to cover Owen and Beru's meth lab explosion

Darth Caliban and Seagoat like this.
  6. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I like the "Boba burnt that **** down" theory/headcanon

As I understand, adding in their skeletons was something that was done late in production to ensure a PG rating. I think even then, it was a choice between G and PG. Just it was the sight of their burnt skeletons that bumped it up

How the MPAA has changed

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  7. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    That's strange! George showed the brutal killing of a rebel soldier by Darth Vader at the beginning. Why would he get an higher rating for showing the couple simply laying dead on the ground, which would be more childfriendly than bringing up burned people?

For the "why they were burnt" question, why would both stormtroopers and the Tusken they were perhaps trying to imitate, give their victims a funeral? And if it was simply a result of the burning homestead, doesn't the conditions of the skeletons and the place where they were found look strange for something like that?

The things i brought up before are making, at least for me, the blaster damage theory more reasonable. Maybe they used higher settings because they were both trying to destroy the homestead and killing the Larses with their blasters. Why would they change their settings to a lower level just for executing them? That would be inefficient for the elite soldiers they were supposed to be then, known for their efficiency and precision, wouldn't it?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G530FZ mit Tapatalk

8. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Remember that in the 70's, there was no PG-13 rating. It was very easy for a film like ANH to land a G rating even with all the shootings in the film and Vader killing Captain Antilles. Standards were much different then and Lucas didn't want the film to be hit with a G and thus limit its box office appeal. By going for PG, he ensured that evening showings would be filled with adults and teenagers, while matinee showings would have young kids with their parents and older siblings. Many movie theaters would restrict showings of G rated films to daytime showings, which was much more common in the 70's and 80's as the larger multiplexes of today weren't widespread outside of the major cities. Some venues only had three screens to show movies and would double up on G and PG/R rated films.

There were no funerals on the part of the Tuskens. The bodies were left where they were when they were killed. Threepio is the one who piles the Jawa bodies together, after either Artoo or Obi-wan started a fire for them. The burning of the moisture farm was just done to make it look like the Tuskens opted to go full on destruction. Luke later buries the remains of Owen and Beru, before rejoining Obi-wan and the droids.

9. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    America - pretty intense violence is still PG-13.... You have to really go for that R

America - show a boob? Instant R

Lt. Hija and Darth Caliban like this.
  10. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Not technically true. James Cameron gets away with plenty of nip slips in his PG-13 movies. It's usually when you show MOD Edit that you get the R.

Editing out an inpropper word.

11. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    The state of the corpses doesn't seem to look like random damage from the destruction of the homestead, more like being done directly to them. They were found outside the burning moisture farm. Can't imagine that they would be burning down to skeletons outside the fire. If they were burning and escaped outside, the fire would extinguish itself before reaching such an effect on their bodies imo.

Edit: For being more precise, writing down my objections.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G530FZ mit Tapatalk

12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The destruction of the farm was just bonus to killing the Lars, to make it look like the Tuskens staged a random attack. There wouldn't be an investigation into their deaths. Obi-wan knew better due to his past as a Jedi, where he investigated similar occurrences before and after the outbreak of the Clone Wars.

The only film of his that comes remotely close, I think, would be "The Abyss". I haven't watched "Avatar", but depending on how much nipple is shown, a film will only get a full on R with a female breast is if it is a full on shot lasting for more than one or two quick seconds.

13. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    Question: if the word is inappropriate, then why was it not blocked? Bazinga'd

14. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

The word filter does not always catch slang versions of a prohibited word.

CT1138 likes this.
  15. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    Ah, alrighty, thanks.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  16. Cedric T Sealion

Cedric T Sealion Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 19, 2014
    Mod Edit: NO...Dont go there.