main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What were the 1980s like?

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by nostalgia, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    You could make a similar list for any decade. Or maybe you think today we live in a golden age with Justin Bieber, The Kardashians, Jersey Shore, Dancing With The Stars, American Idol, etc. etc. etc. ;)

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I dunno, I think an argument can be made for the 1980's being a social, cultural, and political cesspool in comparison to the other post-WWII decades.

1. The decade (along with the late 1970's, I guess) of the "Reagan Revolution" and similar conservative "I hate minorities and poors" whinefests around the West, further reducing, stalling or killing outright whatever progressive movement there was left in mainstream politics. This era started the culture of deregulation (directly leading to many of the economic and financial problems of today) and things such as cutting assistance to the poor (WELFARE QUEENS). The mindset still pervades the United States and United Kingdom and probably other countries as well.

2. Children's programs outside of PBS were extended toy commercials. Thankfully actions by Congress and the FCC have mostly killed these abominations.

3. Popular music became syth-laden and rock became the refuge of bad hair and makeup. The latter was mostly killed by the grunge movement, but awful-sounding synth and studio tricks such as autotune have only become worse.

Of course, I'm biased mostly because I hate the politics of the 1980's and I hate glam rock.

3. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    At least we will reveal ourselves to the Billboard Top 100?

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Oops, sorry, I meant to type "Sith."

5. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    Oh please, I remember the 70's

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Ditto.

"Dancing Queen" and "Stayin' Alive" made for great elementary school memories. Along with Star Wars action figures.

Anyone remember the bikes with "banana seats" and plastic fringe hanging from the handlebars?

7. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    The banana seat!

The worst part of the 70's was the 'fashion.'. Bell bottoms, polyester suits, etc.
    No decade can hold a candle to them on that one. People can (and do) wear retro clothing from every other decade and no one bats an eye.
    Meanwhile we've decided as a society to pretend 70's styles never existed.

8. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Oh, so North Korea being bad means that the Nazi Germany was good? No one sadi today was a golden era: I'm saying the 80s weren't either.

Face it, mummies: the only reason you like the 80s is because you were younger.

9. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Hell to the yes. You can say the same thing about just any decade. The 80's where the wonder years/growing pains (heey, two more 80's references!) decade for me, and there was a lot of bad to go along with the good. But when all is said and done, the good times and memories considerably outweighs the bad. I can't say the same about most of the 21st century so far.

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Slap bracelets are still around. My kids found some last week.

11. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Yes, the shipping companies love to blame the captain of the ship, because otherwise they might have to acknowledge their own responisiblity...

Hazelwood was drunk. He was also OFF-DUTY. Since the ship wasn't US flagged, only the officers were US citizens. The rest were from Liberia, Philippine islands, and Caribbean islands. And guess what? They don't all speak the same language! Hazelwood (once they woke him up and made him aware of what was going on) actually kept the problem from getting worse. Had the crew all spoken the same language, it not only might have prevented the problem, but even if the incident still occurred, they might not have needed to wait for their captain to sort them out. (Sorry, this is a pet peeve of mine from working Merchant Navy ships).

12. nostalgia

nostalgia Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 6, 2011
    what the cheaper ones are made of

[image=http://i.imgur.com/Thy2f.jpg]

13. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    weren't slap bracelets more of a 90's thing? maybe late 80's.

wasn't there some kid who went to slap one on his wrist and a part of the metal was exposed and it cut his hand off or something? and then he was staring at the bloody stump and screaming? and blood was shooting into his mouth and it turned his screams into an anguished gurglings? and a nearby classmate started masturbating?

14. nostalgia

nostalgia Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 6, 2011
    Yeah, yeah! They call it 4chan.

15. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    [image=http://i42.tinypic.com/2qxq93m.gif]

16. Mortimer_Snerd

Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 14, 2004
    I could not have said it better. Seriously. I blame my 1980's public education.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I like 80s rock. Even if some of it brings back bad memories of the guitar player that I had an off-again on-again relationship with. :p

I hate 80s politics as much as you two do, but as far as public education, no worries--the state of Texas is trying to make history textbooks glorify 80s politics. Upon ordering a shipment, each school will also receive a golden idol of St. Ronnie the Gipper for the student common area.