main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Edmonton What were you doing 10 years ago? (LFL project)

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Rogue_Thunder, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    I'm not too clear as to what purpose this is going to be used, so understand that before you continue. This was posted in the CR forum, and what with the anniversary coming up I'm feeling a little bittersweet about it all.

I also figured it would be fun if you shared your story here with us, as well, because it's fun to reminisce about those days. :)

2. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    I'll start the ball rolling:

I would have been just turning 14 when the re-release of the OT came out, and that's what got me hooked in the first place, even though I remember my brother renting those movies when I was younger, for some reason they didn't hold my interest until I saw them at the old Cineplex Westmall 8 theater on my 14th birthday. From then on I spent my high school years devouring anything Saga. At first I just signed books out of my high school library, but I quickly built a collection of novels by spending whatever money I got on them and asking for them for xmas and my birthday (or a gift card to the nearest bookstore).

I don't remember where or when it was that I heard Lucas was doing a prequel trilogy, but I know I would have been excited from day 1. By then I'd had every novel ever released to that date, and has started collecting a few figures and posters, but my obsession was still going. By the time '99 rolled around I would have been just turning 16 and still living under my parents' rule, but I had dropped out of school by this point and was looking for work. I wasn't having that much luck, but I had arranged well in advance to borrow some money to pay to go see Phantom Menace with my two cousins. When tickets finally went on sale about a week or two before release I hadn't even slept the night before and was in line at the then-brand-new (and not even officially opened) Silver City (as I still call it :p )at about 6am (the earliest I could get there). The line stretched past the deep sea adventure to the information kiosk on the second floor (above the flamingo pen) when I arrived, so I figured I hadn't gotten there early enough, and yet oddly enough by the time the doors opened for ticket sales, the line stretched well around the deep sea adventure and back into the new phase IV of the mall, and everyone was able to get tickets. It seemed like hours for me to finally get to the ticket counter, but when I got those tickets I had never felt better.

That is, until the day of the movie. May 16th, and the line seemed longer than the previous week, but none of that mattered. I was there with two of my favourite cousins (one of which is still a huge fan) and I was getting in to see something I'd waited years for. I was initially blown away by the movie, and to this day when I watch it I still remember that thrill I got watching the opening crawl at 16 and I feel like a teen all over again.

3. Ky-Wan

Ky-Wan Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2002
    Whew a ways back. I had been doing some minor work with some Government things and preparing for a career in the police field. I had of course grown up witht he sage and saw them on tape and had the toys that I could get. But I didn't really get into SW until the THX remastered ones came out and from there the Special Editions. I really loved the saga but found I enjoyed things that happened before the Saga like finding out about Anakin's then theorized past rather then enjoying post Jedi books and mterial(witht he exception of Legacy comics that's still true.)

I had heard that there were going to be new SW films about young Obi-Wan etc and I had to say I was really sort worried. I wasn't sure how they were going to do that. I mean...SW looks like the future but the saga looks old cause it's made in the 70's. How are they gonna do that? was how my thinking went.

I had read that Ewan would be playing young Obi-Wan and I almost lost it(I mean the only thing I had seen him was Trainspotting) so I was actually pretty worried. But then I heard more about it and started going hey this might be good.

Then one day I was with my highschool now ex girlfriend and we were in Camrose seeing Patch Adams I think and I saw this blue sky out of the corner of my eye and I thought huh that looks like Tattooine's sky weirdly enough. So I stopped and looked closer and I really tok a breath. It was the coolist poster I had ever seen.

Young anakin standing with his pack looking down while his shadow is that of Vaders against a small hovel. At the bottom Star Wars Episode1. I lost it. I fell in love all over again from that one poster and I actually bought it when it was released for sale and stil have it.

From there the hype began, seeing the teaset and trialers and of course heading to the mall that day the toys were for sale. Didn't need to doa midnight run cause it wa s asmall farm town and no one went to wal-mart when it opened. So I gobbled the new toys and books and all that fun stuff till the day a friend of mine drove to the city and got us tickets on openeing day for 11am. I didn't care it wasn't at midnight. And the whole way there from wetaskiwin to edmonton I actually sped. Not a little either....the whole way. And skipped school too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.