main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What were your first thoughts on the AOTC soundtrack?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by darkOmegazer0, Nov 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkOmegazer0

darkOmegazer0 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    I mean before the movie came out and you bought it and played it, what were you thinking during the imperial march at the end? or the overall spookyness of the music, the love theme, yada yada yada. Be nice too, this is for people who liked the movie and the soundtrack, also feel free to complain about how the great arena music was left out of the movie. Sorry if this is redundant I haven't posted a thread in the music hall before.

2. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    I was actually fairly underwhelmed by everything but the love theme and the last few tracks at first, but I've listened to it enough to really appreciate it as a whole.

3. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    I didn't get the soundtrack until after I had seen the movie. I did download an mp3 of one track, the love theme, which I thought (as I still do) was absolutely stunning in its haunting beauty.

4. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    My procedure follows exactly like Jeff's, but I was less impressed with the love theme. That being said, I have grown to love it and consider it as one of the essential Star Wars themes.

5. Grand Moff Joker

Grand Moff Joker Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1999
    At first, I remember being completely mesmerized by 'Across the Stars'. I thought - and still think - it's an excellent theme that fits perfectly in the Star Wars universe.

With the rest of the soundtrack, nothing else jumped out at me as being terribly exciting or inspired until "Love Pledge and the Arena", "Final Confrontation", and the bonus track "On The Conveyer Belt". Much to my disappointment, the arena music was largely absent from the movie and the conveyer belt music was edited beyond recognition.

I know others don't agree, but I still don't think the music of EP2 (taking the score as a whole) comes close to comparing to the scores from the Classic Trilogy. I'm still surprised at how virtually every track from the Classic Trilogy soundtracks (and especially TESB) can be that good. That, combined with the poor treatment the music got in the movie itself, have kinda left me disappointed in EP2 in general.

6. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Across the Stars blew me away. It's so haunting and beautiful. The whole soundtrack really takes you to each scene.

7. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    The whole soundtrack was haunting, except for a few tracks I never listen to, like the Picnic. I used to drive around listening to it around sunset, so maybe I just think it's better than some others do because I have beautiful visual images to tie them to. Nostalgia. :)

8. s1138_

s1138_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 14, 2000
    something along the lines of:
    "oh goodie..more star wars music"

9. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    I listened to the soundtrack before seeing the movie. "I thought if the movie is as good as the soundtrack it will be the best SW movie ever." Boy was I wrong.

The soundtrack is still beautiful and really tells the story without pictures but the movie itself is my least favorite of the saga.

Across the Stars and Yoda and the Younglings are my fav. of the soundtrack.

10. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    My first reaction, after listening to the Coruscant Chase:

"OMG!!!!1!11!!!! asdljfdsoighwenoygsdj!!!!! That's ****************!!!!!! Ahhh! OMG!!!!111!!11!!" :D [face_shocked] [face_love]

;)

11. Darth_Silenous

Darth_Silenous Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    I hold the AOTC soundtrack very close to my heart. There are countless nuances; the sheer range of emotional power throughout the score is astonishing. I was, to put it lightly, almost as blown away as I was by ESB. ;)

12. jedi-mind-trick

jedi-mind-trick VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 6, 2001
    I thought it was extremely cool. Of course I loved "Across the Stars", but I was also quite taken with the "Courscant Chase" music with the percussion solo. Both of those pieces alone made it a winner for me. I also liked the way they incorporated bits and pieces from previous SW soundtracks....thought it was a nice tie in. :D

13. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    "YESS!" Imperial March beyond a few notes!

And it a big suprise, too..I was about to flick to the next track, and then...
    BA BA BOOM BOOM BOOOM BOOM BOOOM BOOM BOOM!

14. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    I listened to in non stop for 8 days. It was the only thing in my CD player. I was practically drooling at parts such as the end of the soundtrack with the Imperial March, and during parts like the Trade Federation Theme.. :D

15. _Padme_

_Padme_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2002
    I purchased the soundtrack a few hours before the opening night. The tracks which attracted my attention were Across the Stars (obviously) and the Coruscant chase (I was actually amazed/confused to hear an electric guitar on a SW soundtrack! :eek:). It was surprising to hear The Duel of the Fates and The Imperial March as well. It really made me have great expectations for the movie.

16. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    "I listened to in non stop for 8 days. It was the only thing in my CD player."

It's STILL in my CD player, Roy. :p Honestly, I have hardly listened to any other CD all summer/fall since I got the AOTC soundtrack. But weirdly enough, when I first heard it, I hated it.

I didn't listen to it until I got home after the midnight showing (this is like 4AM :p ). I had bought it before, but hadn't listened to it, heck, I didn't even look at the track listings ( Click and drag this link into your address bar to see how I didn't look at the listings. :D !
    Well, when I first saw AOTC that night, I hated the movie itself. I was utterly defeated. I come home exhausted, hungry, and depressed about how bad I thought AOTC was (I love it now, BTW). So naturally, with such ill-feelings in my mind already, I thought the soundtrack was pathetic. So, yah, that was my first impression. :)

17. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    He exaggerates. :D He was peeved about the music edits and was unsure of where the themes were on the CD but he did not hate them. For I was there on AIM chatting with him both times and I helped Sithman from being seduced by the Dark Side. I helped him realize the true brilliance of both film and score.

*Triumphant music*

:D

18. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    It's taken some time for the music from AOTC to "grow on me" like the music from the other 4 movies. I think it's just because I've listened to those other soundtracks so many times over the years, it's hard to incorporate new themes and music into that previously-existing collection. But now, you can almost "listen" to the story according to the themes as they progress. Beautiful work by Mr. Williams once again!

19. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Wanting to stay spoiler-free in all aspects, I did not even buy the cd until the day after the midnight showing. I could not get down to the record shop fast enough the next day. The first track I played was Confrontation With Count Dooku & Finale...

"Dawn of the Empire" :D

...and the ATS reprise.

Overall, very good.

20. rodan70

rodan70 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2002
    I really liked it. I loved the last couple of tracks such as the arena battle music. But alot of the tracks were cut in weird ways. Like they were not in the movie. other than that, No problems.

21. Batty4btman

Batty4btman Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 18, 2002
    I absolutely appreciated the soundtrack, even though that I thought there was too much sappy love stuff. Now I know that subplot of the movie was a love story I just would have liked to hear more of other stuff

22. george_starwars

george_starwars Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2002
    First thought: GOD! That's a perfect love theme. Haunting.

Second thought: Very little action music. A little bit saggy in places because of that.

23. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    It took me two listenings of the soundtrack to truly appreciate it. Now it's one of my favorite soundtracks ever.

24. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I remember buying the soundtrack and listening to it once, straight through. The only cue that I can remember making an impression on me was during the Tusken Camp, the 'psycho' bit with the strings leaping us as Anakin take a trip into the Dark Side. I remember thinking that that could be something really bad happening, and that's how it turned out.

Apart from that one listening, I also heard it straight through the night after seeing the film for the first time (which I loved).

But it wasn't until I was able to really get down to listening to it, properly, that I really appreciated it.

Two things - firstly, I was able to bear in mind many of the thoughtful and intelligent posts on this forum, that pointed out little touches and flows to the music. Secondly, I was able to get time to do what I did for the soundtracks on the other 4 films - play the CD on a loop for about 5 hours.

I love the AOTC soundtrack to bits. I really hope there is an equivelent to the TPM Ultimate Edition as well, but as with TPM I'll still keep and listen to both copies.

25. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    I must confess that I succumbed to temptation and downloaded a bootleg of the soundtrack weeks before it was in stores. :-| I remembered that the movie had somewhat spoiled the TPM music for me, and I wanted to experience the grandeur of Williams's score without the movie to interfere. I just couldn't wait until I could buy the thing either.

Needless to say, I was blown away.

I listened to "Across the Stars" first, and was completely shocked. It was so poignantly moving that it was unlike anything else that I remembered in Star Wars. I called my family to listen too. Man oh man. The first time I heard that oboe solo, I was standing up, and I just kind of melted into a chair. It was incredible.

I didn't want to know what happened at the beginning or the end, even in tone, so I skipped "Main Titles" and "Confrontation & Finale" on the first listen. AtS was by far the most amazing thing on there, but I was also floored by the sheer dark passion of some of the music with Anakin and the Tuskens. The one true shock moment was when DotF started up in the middle of "Return to Tattooine" - that had a kind of woah! factor. I despised "Zam the Assassin," though, it sounded really out of place with its percussion and electric guitars. (Though I've grown to like it better, I still tend to skip that track.) But I knew from how creepy and dark all the music was that I was going to love the film. And I ended up being absolutely, dead-on right.

Finally, I could not resist. I listened to the Main Titles. I was surprised at how subdued and quiet all that music was, even though I had no idea what was happening. But then I switched to "Confrontation with Count Dooku & Finale" and it was all over from there. That eerie vocal solo, and the mens' choir stuff were dark and thrilling. However, I had no idea what was coming next. When "Dawn of the Empire" started playing, chills ran all up and down my spine and I just sat there staring at my computer with my mouth open and my eyes kind of glazed over. It's the creepiest moment of my life, I'm sure. And then the switch back to AtS which built to the End Credits..... Man, oh man. I couldn't believe it. I knew then that AotC was my favorite SW soundtrack, and I remain firm in that opinion.

Wow. I'd forgotten how much I love it. I need to pop it in.

-Paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.