main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What were your reactions to "I am your father!" in 1980?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by waheennay, Aug 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R2-12point

R2-12point Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 12, 2002
    >>>R2, maybe I dont pay enough attention!<<<

I apologize, JB. I certainly didn't mean to imply anything of the sort. I think how "tricked" you can be by a film depends on how wrapped up you get in it. I was very wrapped up in Fight Club (which I knew nothing about going into the theatre and didn't expect to be so ornate) but was not too wrapped up by Sixth Sense and The Usual Suspects, which I liked well enough as films but could only enjoy from a more ironic, distanced position (due to, I think, their glaring genre debts to other films). Then there's the fact the FC I saw in the theatre, the other two on video.

With SW back in 1980, I can't imagine anybody not being swept away and thus utterly taken by surprise. However, I am dismayed that all these guys my age can remember their reactions at age 10/11. Part of my inability to remember might be, however, that (I've come to the conclusion) I think I have a bit of an ingrained "criticism" switch. If a movie in its opening twenty minutes or so (maybe less)can manage a fresh atmosphere all its own, and, more importantly, not step on any landmines, then I become truly like a child and simply accept everything in the most passive manner possible, easily surprised. If a landmine is tripped, I become one of the harshest, most unsentimental critics of them all, retreating back into my head to begin pruning the screenplay and judging the editing, so that I'm mentally working on the third act before it shows up.

I like that I still have the switch, though. I hope ROTS trips no landmines in May, 2005.

2. R2-12point

R2-12point Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 12, 2002
    Having hung around this site intermittently for some time now, I can honestly say that were we between ANH and Empire now, a few eggs around here would've at least floated the father theory once or twice. Of course, like Nostradamus (or several hundred little Nostradami, to be precise), saying so much stuff means eventually calling something right.

>>>I didn't believe Vader. He's the bad guy, right?<<<

That was my Dad's response in Jedi--not to his being Luke's Dad, but to his reversal of hats--and, along with the Ewoks, the reason Dad began to grumble very lously in the theatre.

3. Moonraker_007

Moonraker_007 Jedi Youngling

Jul 7, 2004
    I was 10 years old and I did not believe it at the time. Since Vader was a "bad" guy, I thought he was trying to trick Luke into surrendering at the time.

4. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Vader: "Luuke... I AM YOUR FATHER"...

Me : He's lying! Darth Vader's a robot, he couldn't be Luke's father! (guilible 3 year old brother concurred)

Needless to say, I only "got it" after ROTJ came out and I had the distinct pleasure of making sense of the films in reverse sequence.

Also, the scene where Vader's helmet emerges from the steam as Han is brought out of the carbonite maker and you hear the dum-de-DUM of the Imperial march... I had nightmares about that for weeks as it was the first time in my innocent little life that I'd witnessed pure EVIL.

C_B (still hopin' that the SW-holiday special does make it out on (bootleg) DVD during my lifetime)

5. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    I suspected Vader was telling the truth, but I hoped he wasn't.

I never thought I would say this..but...

I..
    agree...
    with...
    Binary_Sunset...

:p

6. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
  7. I_Bent_My_Wookie

I_Bent_My_Wookie Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    My reaction didn't occur in 1980 (I wasn't born yet.)

But my reaction when I saw it in 1990 and was 5 years old was confusion that Luke was upset.

My 5 year old logic was Luke thought his dad was dead. He wasn't. I thought he should have been a little happy.

8. sweetcaroline

sweetcaroline Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2004
    I was shocked at the thought of Darth Vader being Luke's father. I remember thinking, "Poor Luke". :(

9. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Well, I was six at the time, so the memory is a
    little fuzzy. I was sitting in the front row (My
    Dad wanted no part of the front, so he sat about
    10 rows back) with like 6 or 8 other kids, most
    about 10-12. When Vader spoke the line there was
    silence and then one kid said "Man, no way!"
    I just sat there quietly, as I remember. Shocked
    beyond words. Being 6, I think I took Vader at his
    word (Probably not a good idea, but in this case, it
    worked out)

When the movie was over, my Dad's first words to
    me were "So, old Darth Vader is Luke's Dad, huh?"

I then remember going to Burger King to eat (Probably
    got an ESB glass) and then to Gold Circle to spend
    my allowance on ESB figures (Can't remember which).

Good times. Good times.

10. Leias_Lipgloss

Leias_Lipgloss Jedi Master star 1

Jul 25, 2004
    I was 10 and saw it in the theater. I believed Vader. This revelation absolutely shocked me and I thought about it for a long time afterwards. I loved ANH but that last reel of ESB (the revelation and Han being frozen) completely changed my life and turned me into a huge SW fan. It remains probably the single most shocking thing I've ever seen on film.

11. Darth_Julio

Darth_Julio Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 18, 2004
    I poo my pants

12. CBright7831

CBright7831 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2004
    "Luuke, I am your father."

Actually it's "No, I am your father."

13. Delorean_Kenobi

Delorean_Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Mar 14, 2003
    I was six years old and I can remember seeing ESB very clearly.

I didn't believe Vader. He had just chopped off Luke's hand! I believed, and did for a long time - probably until ROTJ, that Vader just wanted to get Luke to come back onto the platform so he could finish "chopping him up".

I don't recall really paying attention to Luke responding with "Father..." when he was in the Millenium Falcon, the bit I remembered hearing was "Ben... why didn't you tell me?". I think at the time I was more annoyed that Ben wouldn't help him when Luke was clinging to the weather vain below Cloud City. I didn't think about what Ben could've actually done to help him but I was annoyed nonetheless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.