main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What were your thoughts upon seeing Vader's face for the first time?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by AnakinSucks, Sep 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnakinSucks

AnakinSucks Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 15, 2005
    I saw ROTJ in the cinema when when it was newly released (I was quite young at the time), and to be honest I was just glad that his face was shown.

What stuck me most was probably the shape of it, - it resembled an egg. I thought this to be very strange, and rationalised it be assuming that Vader was not human. I knew that he had been horribly scarred, but as I say, the shape threw me off. Did anyone else find this strange?

Was his face as you expected?

Your thoughts...........

2. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    It was in the area of what I expected. I thought it was very cool to actually see Darth Vader's face!
    This was in the nineties, though, so obviously, I had heard about it. Before I actually saw the movies, the thought of seeing Vader's face was unreal. For years, I had only seen pictures of him in his mask.

Vader - he likes darkness
    /LM

3. jedi-master-kev

jedi-master-kev Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 22, 2005
    I hated it, to see him unmasked really changed him, I thought he was real cool black guy but then he had the body of a white guy just like Hamill said in that documentry I can't remember

4. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    How weird - Luke, who is white, has a white father!

That's mindblowing
    /LM

5. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    I couldn't believe that this big tough guy looked like that underneath the helmet.

6. mynameismyown

mynameismyown Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    we all thought he was black, why else have james earl jones do the voice?

7. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    James Earl Jones doesn't really sound "black" as Darth Vader--when combined with the mask and the breathing and the suit he just sounds like a huge, robotic bad guy. In fact, in ANH JEJ's voice was pitched up to make it sound more neutral.

As for Vader's face, i saw ROTJ as a toddler so there was never any moment of realisation for me. But i imagine if i was old enough to see it freshly i would have been surprised to find a sympathetic old man and not a horrible monster underneath (especially after that misleading glimps in ESB). Love the old Vader though--very clever.

And you are right--his head IS egg shaped! I always noticed that too! Sebastian Shaw's head isnt though since we see (or at least we saw) his ghost at the end--i am guessing it is the result of the prosthetic scarring at the back of his head.

8. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    He was supposed to be changed at that moment. You were supposed to see that he was just a crippled man who loved his son. I mean, look at the emotion in his face. It shows years of pain and torture. And then how he smiles just before he dies...classic. It shows how for the first time Anakin Skywalker: a slave boy, a Jedi Knight, and a Dark Lord of the Sith can finally find peace.

The scene is classic.

9. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    I thought he appeared a little too frail for being such a bad *** dude. It never bothered me though.

10. JamanMosil

JamanMosil Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2004
    To tell you the truth, I was sorta scared, knowing I'd see his face...I was about 10-11 when I saw RotJ for the first time, and I remembered how in ESB we saw his head from the back, and it was all scarred...so I expected his face to be really messed up and scary looking...but it wasn't that bad. He looked like a kindly old man, honestly. So I was surprised/relieved.

11. mynameismyown

mynameismyown Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    by the way this a good post, actually my dad thought he would be black, i dont remember what i thought

12. darthbronco

darthbronco Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2004
    don't really remember what i was thinking since I was only 8 or 9 when we saw it in the theatre. I remember, my brother, being ticked off and my family making fun of him because it took him about 3 viewings to finally stay awake through the whole movie to see the end and vader's unmasking. He was only 4 years old and would get sleepy half way through the movie. think he finally saw it on tv or vhs...

13. Darth_Ramsis

Darth_Ramsis Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 1, 2005
    i don't remember what I thought. if anything I was more or less disappointed as a child. Vader was this big cool bad guy in black and in the end he is just this old looking guy with big bushy eyebrows that justed extremely out of place. i was glad when they removed them for the DVD lol.

14. Darthcarpet

Darthcarpet Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 5, 2004
    yea those eyebrows are horrible he looks like liam gallaghers father [face_laugh]

i saw the movie in the cinema in 1983 aged 11
    i thought he was too fat and old and too nice in a way i was expecting him to look like darkman for example say for his face to be eaten away and the gums exposed

15. Darth_Punk

Darth_Punk Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Kinda wierd really. I thought he looked like the Wizard of Oz, all weak and pathetic. Which IMO was good. It was humbling, and I think it was that scene alone, which inspired GL to do a PT. That is not fact, only speculation.

16. AnakinSucks

AnakinSucks Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 15, 2005
    What do they have instead (on the DVDs)? I have not seen them.

17. DarthSerta

DarthSerta Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 17, 2005
    I never imaginede that he was so old the first time i saw RotJ . And always imagined that Vader had his Face completly scared and disfigured , just like Irvin Kershner said in the "Empire of Dreams" documentary.I only looks pale , with alittle scar in the head , nothing like we all saw in ESB.

18. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005
    AHHHHHHHHHHHH. I was horrified, becuase I watched the movies 1,2,4,5,6 and so I knew how Anakin looked when he was young. And that was a huge shocker. But after I got over that, It was just downright sad.

19. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001

That's more than a little scar, my friend. :)

[image=http://www.theforce.net/swtc/Pix/dvd/ep6/ldvader4.jpg]

20. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    His eyebrows are removed and his eyes are colored blue to match Hayden Christensen's.

21. morpha2

morpha2 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2005
    I remember mostly being kind of grossed out.

22. CDR_Praji

CDR_Praji Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2005
    [image=http://www.giftsonline.net/catalog/images/humpty_dumpty.jpg]

[image=http://www.theforce.net/swtc/Pix/dvd/ep6/ldvader4.jpg]

Any questions?[face_laugh]

23. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I don't remember my thought on seeing Vader's true face for the first time. I don't it affected me too much. If it did, I would remember it.

24. bebbie

bebbie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2002
    I was abit disappointed because I thought he was too old and frail. That said, I *loved* Luke's reaction to it

25. red_ajax

red_ajax Jedi Youngling

Sep 23, 2005
    I was really surprised to see that he was a frail old man, but he already began to show this side of himself upon meeting Luke in ROTJ.

In ESB, I still had no idea who or what Darth Vader was. From the scene where his helmet is being put on, I thought he might have just been a brain. It was only in retrospect that I realised that Luke's vision of Darth Vader's face in the cave was meant to be a premonition...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.