main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What will be Luke, Han, and Leia's biggest flaws?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ghost, Jan 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Oh I definitely believe the originals can, and should, be given very well structured arcs. I mean I love the Palpatine and Yoda arcs in the films we do have.

But I just don't imagine this film will be focusing on them to the degree that they will be given strong character flaws that will play out in any real, in depth way. Perhaps if this were a Todd Fields or Mike Nichols film, sure, but as it stands this is an Abrams project off a Lucas treatment. Nothing in their histories suggests we'll be given any kind of great, flawed character arc for the older cast.

As much as I would love to see that.

I just expect more Gandalf in LOTR/Hobbit than say Michael Corleone in the Godfather trilogy, or Rocky in Rocky Balboa.

2. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    News flash: at this point, it's all just theorizing about the Big Three as well.

3. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    Well, Luke killed about a million people, I'm pretty sure that counts as a flaw.

4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    News flash: Your tone in this and other threads is a bit too much.

Anyway, we know a lot about the personalities of the Big Three from having seen them a lot in the OT. It's not a stretch to discuss what we know about them already as it relates to what we might see happen in the ST, later on in their lives.

5. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Luke: Too determined to do everything himself; he wants to make sure he doesn't make the same mistakes Obi-Wan and Yoda did so he micromanages, to the point of even having a hand in the training of different Masters' (assuming there will be any) apprentices. Maybe he gets injured and VII and realizes he can't keep doing that; he has to let the other Masters/Knights have their part in training the students.

Han: Short-tempered, trying to be helpful in his old age, maybe a mid-life crisis. He's past his glory days and he realizes he'll never get them back, so he and Chewbacca fix up the Falcon and go on one last adventure to relive the days where they had no responsibilities, leaving Leia and the kids when they need him. He'd also probably be very hard on his kids if they didn't live up to his expectations.

Leia: She has a temper too, and we've never seen her deal with her heritage as Vader's daughter. Perhaps she's almost phobic of training as a Jedi because she doesn't want to repeat his mistakes, and she didn't even want Luke to train her kid(s). She might also try to hammer into her kids the ideals she had when she was their age, and encourage one of them into politics or the military, instead of being a Jedi.

Rabs and Iron_lord like this.
  6. andresfelix

andresfelix Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2014
    old age, being tired, and still having to fight villains

7. Royale w/ Codeine

Royale w/ Codeine Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2014
    Leia smokes, Han drinks, & Luke is constantly playing with his lightsaber.

8. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    Cybernetic body parts.

9. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Leia has an unnatural fear of Mynocks.

Rabs likes this.
  10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Leia has a prejudice against Zeltrons :D

11. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Han's is being a former smuggler and Luke and Leia's father being one of the greatest mass murders in the galaxy.

12. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Any new ideas?

13. Empress Shatterpoint

Empress Shatterpoint Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2013
    Luke: Too forgiving/willing to give second chances. Encouraged by his success of helping bring out Vader's redemption/return to the light,it could make him overconfident about his ability to turn others from the dark side. Maybe he'll be too willing to take dark side Force-sensitive under his wing under the hope of redeeming them, and gets burned in a big scale by one of them(who'll destroy a significant part of Luke's post ROTJ work in rebuilding the Order).

Maybe it could be that his decision to forgive so and so for X deeds pisses off other Jedi who were affected badly in what so and so did, making said Jedi actually turn to the dark side as a twist.Even better, make his/her own Jedi Order, creating a divide with Jedi wanting to remain in Luke's order(more pro-forgiveness Jedi) and Jedi switching to the other Order(more Pro-Justice Jedi). The Republic(well assuming there is no longer an Empire) would be divided as to which Order they would let 'rule', maybe even both Order would co-exist with increasing tensions(who knows what political schemes would play into that and how bloody it could turn-new villain arising from that conflict?). Luke would get blamed for not balancing his sense of forgiveness with justice, could end up getting 'dethroned' as a grandmaster or even resign recognizing his failure at balancing matters properly.

Leia: Too unwilling to forgive/compromise on ideals. As a new leader of the Republic, she could make serious mistakes in improving Imperials vs Rebels relations post Empire time in her fervent drive to purge the remaining bits of the Empire out of the galaxy. Instead of negotiating for common interests with important potential allies, she could make influent enemies by having a single-minded 'You lost, you pay, YOU repair' (much like how post WW1 treaties treated the 'losers') and inadvertently create chaos/Imperial regrouping. Maybe she'd be criticized by fellow alliance members and loose her voice. (extreme thought, would be really **** up if LEIA, as half-Jedi, half-political leader would be grandmaster of an Order opposing Luke's as per my 'two orders theory'. And poor Daisy would be stuck in the middle. Not likely to happen though).

I see Luke and Leia as having opposite flaws; one too extreme on forgiveness, the other too extreme on justice. Both imbalances have potential to cause disaster and create some interesting character arcs.

Han: Hmm, it's a difficult one because his arc was sort of done in the OT. Would feel like a needless regression for him to revert back into his old ways, I'd rather he die. Maybe the past can catch up with him? Whilst he definitely improved with each movies, his past wrongdoings(such as his dealings with slavers like Jabba) were never addressed. Maybe his cocky 'never has to deal with the law' could lead him in some legal trouble...

14. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    Luke trys to find good in the galaxy but finds war & loss, Leia worried about being a bad mum & Han marriage counselling:rolleyes:

15. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
    Hubris

That's how these stories work.

DarthSyverus likes this.
  16. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    Hubris? All three lack pride or self-confidence. Huh?

17. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
    Han or Leia lack pride? Gotta love ego.
    Luke on the other hand....the rumor is he's seeing past, present, future and it's driving him nuts.
    Is he also seeing alternate realities?
    nod to the EU saying yup. you dont exist but we recognize you are there.

DarthSyverus likes this.
  18. Red_Leader_313

Red_Leader_313 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 30, 2014
    I think it would be short sighted for some folks to say that the legacy characters won't have arcs because the new films are focusing on the younger cast, or because their arcs ended in the OT. Are any of us the same person we were 10, 15, 20 years ago? Let alone 30? Also, it doesn't take much to inject a character arc into a story - just look at an ensemble film like the Royal Tenenbaums. Those characters all have pretty clear arcs, and none (aside Royal) have a whole lot of screentime.

I think Leia will be hopeless. The war has never ceased, and all of the things she was vigorously fighting for in the rebellion seem out of reach now. She's questioning whether or not to sacrifice her ideals for the sake of peace. Her involvement in the new plot will see her regaining the hope she once had, and finding the determination to lead the rebellion to a final victory against the empire.

I think Han will have grown cynical again, partially because of the war, but mostly because he regrets the ways he has failed as a father by abandoning his kids. His journey will be one to redeem himself in their eyes by finally being there for them when they need him most.

Luke seems harder to pin down - he's scared of himself. He was always on the cusp of the dark side and now his power has grown to dangerous levels. He doesn't trust himself because of the compassion and love he has always harbored for those closest to him.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  19. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Exactly...I think any flaws they might possible end up having would be that they might not have developed in their potential over these last 30 some years as much as they could/should have. If the premise is true regarding the state of the galaxy and whatnot, Luke may not be the "super powerful jedi master, training a new jedi order" we would hope for, Han might have reverted back to his old smuggler ways, and what could be the most dissappointing IMO-Leia would not have learned much at all regarding the ways of the force, let alone her being a Jedi.

Of course this may not play out this way, but at this point all things we've heard are mostly rumors-so I hope we've seen SOME form of progress from the big 3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.