What will be the outcome of the Super Bowl?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Rogue...Jedi, Jan 23, 2009.

?

What will be the outcome of the Super Bowl?

Poll closed Feb 2, 2009.
Steelers by 1-7 points 10 vote(s) 31.3%
Cardinals by 1-7 points 9 vote(s) 28.1%
Steelers by 8-14 points 5 vote(s) 15.6%
Cardinals by 8-14 points 6 vote(s) 18.8%
Steelers by 15+ points 1 vote(s) 3.1%
Cardinals by 15+ points 1 vote(s) 3.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    I was tempted to include a joke tie option like the poll in C&G, but resisted the urge.

So, who will win and by how much?
  2. darth_gersh Force Ghost

star 6
    I voted that the Steelers will win by 1-7 points.

I want the Cards to win.
  3. Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus

star 6
  4. Trika_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 6
    gersh has psychic powers, but despite all that, I think he's right, and I agree. Although I may want the Cards to win, I think the Steelers will be just a little much for them. I do think that it's dangerous to think that they'll blow the Cards out, however. Warner's been here before, and with Fitz? Oh lawd. Good times ahead. There's more to them all-around than what is readily apparent.
  5. Grimby Technical Consultant

Administrator
    star 7
    I voted Cards by 1-7 because I like Super Bowls where the underdog ekes it out in the end. :p
  6. MasterMonkey13 Jedi Knight

star 3
  7. Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Am I missing something here? Do all of you Cards backers know something Vegas doesn't?
  8. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Technically, theres only one more vote for the Cards than the Steelers right now.

I haven't voted yet. I'll probably go with Steelers by 1-7, but I'm still undecided.
  9. Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I realize that, but the question was posed to *anyone* voting for the Cards. I'll happily grant the inhuman performance of Larry Fitzgerald bolstered by Warner's reliability, but respect for position and talent is a two-way street. They are going against the #1 defense in the league, including the NFL's defensive player of the year in James Harrison, and Polamalu who has had several clutch interceptions in the closing weeks of the season and post-season. Our offensive line is inconsistent, sure, but the Cards defense isn't even in the top 50% of the league, and we've got depth at running back, wide receiver, and QB. Is the Warner-Fitzgerald combination really that superhuman that they'll pull off the upset, let alone by two scores? Really? Really?

EDIT:

And to clarify why I picked the Steelers by 8-14, I'm thinking more on the low end of that scale. I'm not betting that this is primarily due to the offensive line, but more along the lines of a field goal and defensive touchdown.
  10. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Offense is flashy and draws attention, especially in the playoffs ;)

Not saying I agree with them (see previous) but such isn't really surprising to me.
  11. emporergerner Jedi Master

star 4
    Steelers are going to play a slow methodical game and win the super bowl pretty easily.
  12. SkottASkywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    I voted Steelers by 8-14 points, but I may want the CARDINALS to win. I haven't really picked either team to pull for as of yet.

But, I know I'm pulling for a great game. :cool:
  13. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    I want the Cards, but it probably will be the Steelers.
  14. darthtenbiscuits Force Ghost

star 7
    Steelers by 8-14 because they basically just beat the crap out of their opponents.

I hope I'm wrong.

Vegas odds factor in a lot of ridiculous things like the fact that the Steelers have played in six previous Super Bowl games. Nevermind that four of those were around three decades ago.

So vegas odds are not a realistic indicator of what the actual point spread could be let alone the clear favorite to win it all.
  15. Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I agree that the 70's Superbowls don't make sense, but when we've played recently (with some of the same players), it makes sense to consider it.
  16. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    So I finally decided, and picked the Steelers by 1-7.

Cardinals fans may start celebrating... now. :p
  17. The Great No One Force Ghost

star 8
    i picked the cards by a TD or less.

my logic behind this is that they have a lot more than just warner to fitz. you're forgetting boldin (who should be healthy) who had over a thousand yards on the season, and more TD's than fitz had. then there's steve breaston, who has been an extremely good third wideout. then urban, who has played better than a lot of team's third wideouts as well. at the wideout position, they are stacked and we have seen the steelers be beaten by teams that have a strong passing game (i.e. the colts for instance). and then there's the fact that the cards O-line has been playing extremely well in the playoffs as well. it's like warner said, this was a young team and they clinched so early they didn't know what to do. so they played WAY below their talent level, as is reasonably obvious now.

then there's the fact that the cards do also have something of a running game now as well. if they can manage 70ish yards they'll be able to have playaction, and THAT could kill the steelers with this offense.

and your comment about the cards D? not so valid as of beating the panthers the way they did, and then shutting out the eagles in the first half. as was said by one of the commentators in the eagles game, the card's hadn't played bad on D (especially in the first half of the season), but again they had the same problem as the offense. young, and didn't know how to handle the success of clinching their division with something like 7 games to go? that's a little bit insane, even if it was the NFC west. who has caused more turnovers so far this postseason? i'm pretty sure the cards lead all teams in that category as well. with ben's problems in the past of sometimes turning it over a lot if he falls into that the steelers are completely dead.

now, i'm not dissing the steelers in the least. they're a good team. but what james harrison said really stuck out to me. they haven't played them, so they don't really know the cards at all. that is going to cause them some issues one would think. especially at the beginning of the game, which could be where this one is won actually. they haven't seen a player like fitz before, and haven't had to deal with the likes of boldin on the other side. this a better wideout tandem than the colts have ever had. better than the 49ers when they had taylor and rice. possibly better than the chris carter and randy moss vikings, and if you'll remember what the colts did to some teams in the NFC who had good defenses but hadn't played them before... well, it was ANYTHING but pretty.

but looking at the steelers, i can see why vegas, most people and their fans in particular would be confident of a win. but you asked for the why of going for the cards? there you go. that's my reasoning.

:snoopy
  18. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    Actually Polomalu has the same concerns...that they could give up a few big plays and get demoralised, since they are a major pressure defence. At least according to my paper this morning.
  19. Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Which is all good and well, but again, the Cards also haven't faced the Steelers before, so they don't know what to expect (and no, Wisenhunt et al. left two seasons ago, and the Steelers have added a few new tricks and training methods since they left). Aside from a strong defense, we have good depth at running back, and when Ben is on, he's *on*. I have no qualms giving props to the Cards offense, and I have no problems admitting that our offensive line is inconsistent, but the Cards simply haven't faced the Steelers D. History has favored strong defenses over strong offenses, especially in the past few years (since 2000).
  20. The Great No One Force Ghost

star 8
    not strictly true quix... the cards beat the steelers last season. admitedly that was a season ago, but knowing that they CAN beat the steelers (different team/season/whatnot) might play into this a bit as well. and they didn't have a set QB at that point either, as they were in swtichout mode between leinart and warner. so... that adds a little bit to my thinking as well. not huge, but it might play in like the giants/pats last season. the cards KNOW they are beatable because they did it, and this cards team is a bit better than that one.

21. Drac39 Force Ghost

star 6
    Steelers because they are the superior team. I am willing to give Arizona some credit but I think the two weeks plus the fact that Pittsburgh has recently won a Super Bowl goes to the Steelers favor.

Steelers by 1-7 points
  22. The Great No One Force Ghost

star 8
    i suppose that they played in 07 does kinda reverse one of my points, but this really isn't the same cards team. the steelers haven't changed that much since then, but the cards weren't even sure who their starting QB was at that point! so i think that plays more towards the cards favor, actually. warner was able to move the ball on the steelers in that game, and helped them regain the lead and seal the deal.

23. Lowbacca_1977 Force Ghost

star 6
    Ive voted Cardinals by 15+, as no one had yet, so if it turns out that happens, I can feel awesome.
  24. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    lol

All we need now is for someone to pick Cardinals by 8-14, and this poll will be perfectly tied :p
  25. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    I've already voted, or I'd oblige.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.