main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What will be the Protagonist's Struggle?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ghost, Feb 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    What will the protagonist be struggling with in the ST?

Anakin Skywalker struggled with separation from his loved ones, death of his loved ones, and wanting to gain more power so he can fulfill his supposed destiny as a galactic savior.

Luke Skywalker struggled with finding a connection to his father, living up to what he thought his father was, finding his true family and friends among the stars, trying to become a knight to better help his cause and live up to the expectations of others, and finally cope with the truth and redeem his father.

What kind of heroic journey is left for the ST to focus on?

The thing that most comes to my mind is the protagonist who rejects using their special gifts for a moral duty (or at all), who wants to separate themselves from their family, who wants to leave behind others' expectations, who wants to escape from it all and live in isolated peace.

Like Simba in The Lion King after Mufasa's death, or Peter Parker before Uncle Ben's murder, or even a little bit like Han Solo in ANH.

But once they do eventually reintegrate, I think the protagonist shouldn't just assimilate into the old order that they had left behind... the protagonist should transform it into something very new.

2. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    One of the main similarities Anakin and Luke had in common was they both readily accepted their destinies.

It would be fresh to see the main protagonist resist or outright reject his destiny; only to eventually come around and embrace it. The 'long way around' - so to speak.

3. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    You can not escape your destiny.

Bullhead CIty likes this.
  4. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    The protagonist tries to live up to the legacy of the Skywalker clan and cannot keep together under the pressure to perform. It ultimately leads him or her to the Dark Side.

Dra--- likes this.
  5. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    Actually, That was the main difference between Anakin and Luke. Anakin lost it all, didn't know that he had children, didn't have anything to really live for, other than Palpy's bidding. Luke was a better learner because he wanted to get off of the farm and do something positive. The two of them in that aspect could not have been any more different. This is why Luke would ultimately become a better Jedi, and eventually more powerful. Just my two cents.

Sith-Mullet and Bullhead CIty like this.
  6. Bullhead CIty

Dec 1, 2012
    Yeah, believe me Luke is tops and Anakin sucks in my book. I was just referring to their initial journeys into training; not their overall life outcome. Both Anakin and Luke wanted to become Knights at the beginning of their journeys. I like your thoughts about the different courses they took. What i had in mind was someone who had aptitude and abilities off the charts- but would rather not get involved for whatever personal reasons; then eventually has to answer the bell. Perhaps they're afraid of where the journey will take them personally? It would add a nice dimension to the narrative IMO.

7. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    That sounds like, Uncle Owen talking. :p

JediKnightOB1 and Bullhead CIty like this.
  8. Bullhead CIty

Dec 1, 2012
    That's funny. I almost included a line about Uncle Owen as the Apprentice. :cool:

JediKnightOB1 and Sith-Mullet like this.
  9. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    The struggle will be getting the lid of the mustard... ;)

Seriously... I actually think the best way to go would be a son/daughter of Luke (or Leia at a push) who does not want to be a Jedi and rejects the teachings because of all the pain and destruction caused through Jedi and Sith doctrine over the ages.

10. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    He'll probably write a book about his struggle at the end.

[​IMG]

D'an, plaidphoenix and DanielUK like this.
  11. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004

OUCH! Hitler's book book being used as an example of the outcome of the "protagonists" struggle????? ;)

Maybe the protagonist will struggle with his/her sexuality in these modern times

12. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Couldn't resist, with all the talk of "his struggle."

plaidphoenix, Dra--- and StoneRiver like this.
  13. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    If the story focuses on Luke's offspring, then his struggle could be living up to expectations or ideals of his father, the founder of the new Jedi order, probably the greatest Jedi in history.

14. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    It's like a wise man once said: one often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it.

Sith-Mullet likes this.
  15. bluemilkcheesypuffs77

bluemilkcheesypuffs77 Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Struggling to find a good burrito... Seriously though, I could live to be a hundred and still not know how to fold one of those things

Dra--- likes this.
  16. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Intimate feelings about a close relative... the twist being that this time they're aware of their connection.

Yeah I'll try to think of a serious answer.

Dra--- likes this.
  17. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Luke's story is the classic nobody kid becomes the greatest guy ever; sword in the stone type tale. Are there any adventure storys about young elites?
    Like, if King Arthur had a kid....
    The only thing I can think of is a Cain & Able type story where one of the new generation goes bad. been done before though[face_dunno]

Where are you from, they teach burrito rolling in kendergarten here in Texas.

18. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I'd like to see a co-protagonist structure where both characters are responding in different ways to their family's legacy (of Vader's villainy but also of Luke, Leia, and Han's heroism). One would be a pacifist who believed in trying to end conflict in peaceful ways. The other would try to be an uber action hero. Their arc could work in few different ways: 1) they move towards each other and attain a kind of balance, or, 2) both of them fail due to their extremities and a third sibling learns to synthesize their qualities into balance, or 3) the two become enemies, 4) one of them dies and the other either synthesizes their qualities or risks failing to grow or falling to the darkside.

19. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    Perhaps the protagonist will lead a peaceful, sheltered, boring life, growing up on stories of heroism but never able to become so themselves. And so they jump at the chance for adventure, only to find tragedy and a far less black and white world than expected. They have to learn what it really means to be a hero, more than just swashbuckling.

20. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    I wouldn't mind seeing something similar to Cade Skywalker, Drug habit, Wants nothing to do with the his family's legacy

Granek and Dra--- like this.
  21. Lord Megatron

Lord Megatron Jedi Youngling

Jan 28, 2014
    My problem is that this is way overused, to the point where it's cliché. Every modern protagonist does this. I'd rather have them accept their destiny, and struggle to handle the responsibility.

Granek likes this.
  22. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I could be down with a Cade type character that wants nothing to do with the family legacy.

Not being good enough or living up to the family name. Up to father or uncle Grand Master Luke or afraid of falling. Ending up like his or her grandfather.

Dra--- likes this.
  23. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    One of Luke's students finds that he is a Force sensitive Mandalorian who is conflicted between two worlds as he is taught by his culture to hate the Jedi and that they are the ancient arch enemies of his entire race. He has to decide his fate as a new Mandalorian Empire comes to power and threatens the New Republic. He probably seeks the Dark Side as an escape because the Sith used to be the allies of the Manadlorians and this way he is respected for his powers instead. Luke must convince him otherwise.

24. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Any more ideas?

25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Please do not have falling to the Dark Side being the struggle. Been there, done that.

Granek, TKT, Dra--- and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.