main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What Will be the Rating?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 28, 2013.

?

Your Guess

1. PG

61 vote(s)
    32.4%
  2. PG-13

127 vote(s)
    67.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    The Oz PG rating was because the flying monkeys always scared kids and the munchkins scared adults.

2. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    PG-13 It should have the same intensity as Star Trek, The Lord of the Rings and The Avengers combined!

3. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    PG-13 probably.

4. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It won't rate any higher than the Marvel or Pirates movies, but given most of the SW movies were made as family movies I would think it will be either G or PG (In the UK most are rated U which is the lowest rating a movie can get)

5. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Yes, and the special effects are better than the ones in the fan made films, they aren't bad at all. At least that is what I have heard. :D

6. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    NC-17. JJA says he wants it to "feel real". The word "war" is in the title. Do the math.

Darth Raiden likes this.
  7. David_Skywalker01

David_Skywalker01 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2006
    ESB would be PG-13 if it was released today IMO. So more than likely it will be PG-13, but it really depends on the themes it deals with.

8. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013

Seems legit to me :D

9. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    It still is released today, on DVD and such. There is nothing really to suggest it should be PG-13, aside from Luke having his hand cut off. Heck a whole bunch of people got dismembered in AOTC and it still only got a PG rating.

Video titles can still have their rating changed. I remember the Godfather I had on tape was rated 18, the DVD is now rated 15

Chewgumma likes this.
  10. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
    It's going to be PG-13
    If this is going to be focused more on psychological themes... It's going to get dark and controversial.

11. Sheol

Sheol Jedi Youngling

Oct 5, 2013
  12. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    I like that one but the RC "Empire on Ice" is a classic.

13. ForceJumpAnakin

ForceJumpAnakin Force Ghost star 4

Dec 24, 2006
    Rated G. Especially with the sing a longs.

The force will come out tomorrow, bet your bottom saber that, tomorrow.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    You could argue it either way, but I wouldn't go as far as to say there is "nothing to suggest it." It is borderline, as was AOTC; I don't know that comparing it to one example is terribly convincing. If you look at a list of PG movies today, and a list of PG13 movies, it definitely fits more into PG13 movies.

There are other things about it besides the hand cut off that are "intense sci-fi violence" as the ratings language goes, such as Vader force-choking his officers.

15. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009

It really wouldn't be a PG-13 these days. The violence is bloodless, it's got no sexual content and has very little in the way of strong language.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  16. TheStorm

TheStorm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 8, 2002

Does not matter that it is bloodless, it is violence none the less. You have scary images, with monsters, the Wampa, (especially in the SE with blood dripping down). It's more tone that gives them PG-13 than anything. Episode I and II got lucky and honestly I'm shocked they did get PG, Episode I I could see it but II I think was very borderline and GL's powerful pull probably pushed it to what he wanted. But anymore that just won't fly.. But also in ESB you had limbs being cut off left and right among people getting holes blown through them. So yes it would be PG-13. PG-13 is the old PG of the late 70's and 80s.

Lee_ and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  17. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Yep.

IMGb's top rated PG Movies include: Home Alone (all 3), The Prince and the Surfer, Hook, Hocus Pocus, Jumanji, Surf Ninja, Peter Pan, etc.

List of top rated PG13 includes: Batman Returns (with 3 other Batman movies), Haven, City Slickers 2, Pirates of the Caribbean 2, King Kong, Captain Ron, Gremlins 2, etc.

I am going to guess that ESB fits better with the PG13 movies, I think that is the most likely if it were today.

18. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I agree with others above that movies are rated more strictly now than they used to be, and that a lot of the PG films from the 70's and 80's would be PG-13 if rated now. I haven't heard of re-ratings, at least in the US. Not only would ESB probably be PG-13, but ANH could possibly have been rated that way too if it came out now. The Avengers, for example, doesn't really seem "worse" by comparison. I'm a bit surprised that TPM and AOTC got PG, but things may have even changed since '99 and '02, too. So I'm guessing E7 will be PG-13.

19. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    13+ Midichlorians, there is a risk the film could influence the weak minded other wise. [face_nail_biting]

20. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    Part of me think that Episode 7 will be rated PG because the Star Wars films, sans ROTS, have traditionally been given that rating. The other part of me thinks that it will be rated PG-13 for some of the reasons others in this thread have mentioned.

On the discussion/debate of G vs PG vs PG-13:

I believe that the issue with the PG rating today isn't so much that standards have changed, but, more-so because studios, at least in the US, don't want their films to be rated G. This is mainly because they're probably afraid that audiences will look at a G rated film and say, "that's for little kids."

The problem though is that some modern PG films are still technically little kids films (eg for 5 and 6 year old kids) regardless of whether they're rated G or PG. In fact some modern PG rated movies that really don't deserve that rating (Smurfs, Turbo, Alvin and the Chipmunks, etc) are still rated G in other countries. And if I remember correctly only the 3D version of The Wizard of Oz is rated PG. The regular 2D version is still G.

Now, I'm not saying that those mentioned films are only for little kids. However, I bet you that there were moviegoers who have looked at something like Alvin and the Chipmunks and thought to themselves, "I'm not gonna see that little kids movie!"

Anyways, as others already know, the G rating wasn't always seen as a "young children's rating" and PG in the 60s and 70s was the PG-13 rating. Unfortunately, the MPAA didn't bother to slap an age advisory on the PG rating back then and they still won't do that today. This brings me to my next point: I think the MPAA should slap on age advisory/suggestion on the PG rating. Personally, I think something like PG-10 would be effective and something like that could be used to rate PG rated films that have actually earned their PG ratings.

In turn the some of modern PG rated films that should be rated G would be rated G. Because you know the MPAA slapping a 10+ age suggestion on something like The Smurfs would be pretty embarrassing. And just like the PG and PG-13 rating something like PG-10 would merely be an advisory rating. Anyways that's how I would solve the whole "should a film be rated G or PG or PG-13?" problem.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  21. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    The Saga could have had new ratings when it came out on Blu Ray since it still would have been looked at by the BBFC & MPAA to se how Lucas' changes affected it. Fact is the ratings didn't change, because they don't need to.

All of the Star Wars movies get a U (G) rating except AOTC & ROTS.

The BBFC have always said PG films may not be suitable for children under 8 and they should be accompanied by an adult when viewing.

22. TheStorm

Apr 8, 2002
    The MPAA does not re-rate films unless the studio wants it or it is very controversial.

Poltergeist still has a PG rating and has been released on blu-ray etc. And same with Temple of Doom. Trust me if re-rated they would be PG-13.

MPAA is one of the most...flexible/unfair rating systems out there. Watch This Film has Not Been Rated, and if you have big pull like Spielberg or Lucas, they can pretty much get the film rated the way they want.

So I will bet 20 bucks right here and now Episode VII will be rated PG-13. Because the OT would as well. Just because it has not been re-rated does not mean anything. Either has Poltergeist and I bet a million that would be re-rated R.

23. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    It is an apples and oranges discussion to talk about how movies are rated when involving two different nations. That is having a debate that is not even a debate; it is talking about two different things.

If you think the ratings system has not changed in the US, I am afraid you are not in the know, and need to look deeper. The fact that they even HAVE PG13 indicates a change to begin with since release of the OT, but it goes well beyond that. I could make a giant list of PG13 movies that are similar, if not more light-weight, than ESB (or as another said, even ANH). I could also make a long list of PG movies from the 70's and 80's that are just as heavy if not far more so than most of today's PG13 movies.

The fact that particular movies have not been re-rated is virtually meaningless in the US.

24. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    People are far less sensitive than they used to be, it's unlikely ratings would be harsher now than they were. What was once 18 (R) rated is now 15 rated, movies that got an X Certificate and were banned 25 years ago are laughed at now. Kids play GTA now, they aren't bothered by wimpy stuff like the minimal violence in the OT and the censor boards will reflect that.

And I wouldn't call the MPAA unfair, the BBFC cut the Jango head-butt out of AOTC. The 3D showing I watched at CE was the first time I'd even seen that in the movie because all the UK versions don't have it. That's pretty silly to me, it's not as bad as being dismembered yet that stuff stays in.

25. TheStorm

Apr 8, 2002
    Each has their quirks but the MPAA really has rules that they bend to break at times and don't stay as consistent as they should. But still I guarantee you if a PG movie came out in theaters and had the stuff that was in Poltergeist (the man ripping his face apart) parents would be pissed. We may be less sensitive to things in films but in a way we are more "PC". Things that could fly back then, would not fly now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.