main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What Will be the Rating?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 28, 2013.

?

Your Guess

1. PG

61 vote(s)
    32.4%
  2. PG-13

127 vote(s)
    67.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    PG13 was created to have an in between for movies that were a bit hard for PG, but didn't deserve the "stigma" of an R rating. Thus, for example, Jumanji and ESB could have both been PG in the 70s/80s when PG 13 didn't exist, but now would likely be rated differently. As far as exactly where the line is, it isn't sensitivity per se, but more knee-jerk reactions to the way the winds of politics are blowing at the time (at least in the US, I don't know about other places, but imagine it is similar, although the politics of the time could be different in different places).

2. Ditolus

Ditolus Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 22, 2005
    I hope all 3 films of the new trilogy are pg like the original trilogy were. Lucas was actually very smart in creating the droid army for the prequels. It's what allowed him to keep the pg rating with all the lightsaber mayhem there would be compared to the original trilogy. if the jedi were constantly killing people all 3 prequels would have been pg13 instead of just sith. Based on what Disney has done with its superhero movies im leaning on them going for a pg-13. i'd still prefer the pg though.

3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    PG-13, easily. Can (obviously) do more, and it worked well for ROTS & Abrams' two Trek films; For Disney's POV, the Pirates series (as an example) did very, very well with PG-13 ratings.

4. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Frozen and Alice in Wonderland are really the two most recent Disney PG blockbusters, and when compared to the Marvel and Pirates juggernauts (all of which are PG-13) it's pretty clear which model fits SW best. The OT was classified prior to PG-13 even existing, and PG has now become an ever-so-slightly darker version of G. I don't see how a PG SW could even be made now.

5. Ditolus

Ditolus Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 22, 2005
    i agree i think it's headed to pg 13. but episodes 1 and 2 were both pg and the pg 13 was certainly in use during the time they were made. so u can still make a lot of money with a pg star wars film.

6. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Those movies were 12+ years ago and I suspect it is now harder to get a PG rating.

7. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    As long as there's no immolation and youngling slaughter, as much as I think Disney will aim at PG-13, it just might land a PG rating and not just out of tradition for Star Wars but what's actually in the film. After all, the villain deaths are just guys in white armor falling over after some smoke dirties their armor. Blood is a rare thing when laser weapon coulterize wounds, armor prevents it from ever being seen, and you never see the badguys dying face. As long as its not seen but implied you can get away with quite a bit of violance, just look at the torture scene when Joker kills the fake batmen in The Dark Knight audiences where cringing but their was actually nothing shown so it escaped an R rating too staying PG-13.

Of course we have no idea how much JJ might spice up other aspects of the film... we did get totally meaningless underwear sences in Into Darkness after all. Things like that would land it in PG-13 faster than the Falcon made the Kessel Run.

Iron_lord likes this.
  8. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    Its going to be PG.

9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The OT were U-rated in at least some places - the UK, for example, when released on video.

10. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    I'm not bothered either way

11. markdeez

markdeez Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2005
    PG-13 is the way to go. ROTS & the 2 JJ Star Trek films were PG-13, and I enjoyed them both more than Ep. 1 & Ep. 2, large in part to this.

But I don't mind PG, at all.

12. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014

I agree. According to Box Office Mojo, and I have no idea whether they're accurate or whether they're adjusting for inflation, the five PG Star Wars movies are Nos. 1, 2, 10, 11, and 15 among all-time top-grossing PG films. So I doubt the money guys are going to have a problem with a PG Episode 7. But you look at the rest of the list, and aside from a few other oddballs released before PG-13 existed (Jaws!), there's little that's live-action and has much of any real fighting. It's like the first two prequels somehow hypnotized the MPAA. Sure the battle droids are part of it, but c'mon -- they were lenient there, no question!

It feels like the jump from G to PG gets you practically nothing that's discernible to those over 8, and PG to PG-13 happens almost instantly after that. Star Wars has the tools to be a "hard PG" if there is any such thing, but I don't think that's the direction the franchise is going. The top PG-13 movies seem much more like the future of Star Wars.

(Totally unrelated note: Passion of the Christ is still on top among R movies! Take that, Wachowski brothers! We're No. 1! We're No. 1!

...OK, better now.)

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  13. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    Doesn't matter one bit to me.

jedinightwing likes this.
  14. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I actually don't understand how Ep 2 is PG.

15. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    Honestly doesn't care. If someone wants to see it, he/she will see it, no matter what the age restriction says.

16. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
    I think we'll all be in line for it no matter what its rated. Most parents probably wont care if its PG-13 since its Star Wars.

17. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I hope it's PG-13, if only so that Han can drop the first Star Wars F-bomb on us.

But seriously, I think the ratings board more or less stamps "PG" on these films and then sleeps through them. Cutting Maul in half alone probably should've earned TPM a PG-13. I always got the impression that Lucas and Co. lobbied through the press to get a PG-13 for ROTS, not only to give it a "cool" factor, but because they wanted parents to know "Hey, this one's really dark.".

I'd say Ep. VII will likely get a PG rating, but that doesn't mean it'll actually be PG.

18. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    It's thread merge-a-riffic!

jcgoble3 likes this.
  19. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    i say this trilogy will be rated PG-13.

B99 likes this.
  20. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I hope they don't go too over the top with lightsaber dismemberment in this one. Cool thing about the original trilogy was how sparingly Luke decided to use his lightsaber.

I mean, he only decided to activate his lightsaber when the backup of the backup of the backup of the backup of the original plan to free Han in ROTJ all failed.

Meanwhile in the PT Anakin whips out his lightsaber to kill two bugs.

21. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    i think because Luke has probably spent the past 30 years fine-tuning his force abilities as well as lightsaber abilities that he will probably be like yoda in the PT and only whip it out when need to and will rely more on his force powers.

22. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    5 out of 6 films thus far are PG, with the exception being ROTS. Some families might not take their kids under 10 to see Episode VII if there's a PG-13 rating, so part of me thinks they might aim for PG in order to pull in as big an audience as possible.

Or NC-17?

Mav Edit: Mergining this thread with the previous thread on ratings.

23. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    In the UK we have U PG 12a 12 15 18 although, mostly PG and 12 are ignored and things tend to be either U 12a 15 and 18. It's a pretty safe bet that it'll be 12a over here.

12a means you can watch under 12 but you need an adult with you. And then over 12s can go in alone.

24. Jedi Older Code

Jedi Older Code Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2014
    It'll be PG. Disney will want to maximize the profitability of SW. Plus Rebels will pull children into SW and into EP7.

25. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I'm leaning towards PG-13.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.