main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What Will be the Rating?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 28, 2013.

?

Your Guess

1. PG

61 vote(s)
    32.4%
  2. PG-13

127 vote(s)
    67.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

All of the Marvel outings so far have been rated PG-13 and most parents, including conservative parents like myself, will allow their children to watch a PG-13 Star Wars movie. I am betting that these movies will be PG-13 as well.

plaidphoenix and Lurknomore like this.
  2. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Possibly PG, but I'd say PG-13 is the most likely.

3. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    PG-13 if I had to bet. Although in some ways I actually think it could be very refreshing if it gets a PG. Might mean a better chance of Episode VII delivering a more timeless adventure feeling as opposed to the majority of big blockbusters these days.

4. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

How much timeless adventure gets cut out of a film when you move from PG to PG-13?

5. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    I'm guessing PG. There won't be swearing, there won't be nudity, and there probably won't be the amounts of child murder and burning flesh RotS had.

6. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    I guess PG-13.

7. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014
    Whatever it technically ends up being rated, I just hope the overall tone is consistent with the OT. Not too kiddy or silly, not too dark.

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The OT was U-rated in the UK. I could see the tone of individual ST episodes varying though - dark moments and light-hearted moments.

9. snikttrooper

snikttrooper Jedi Master star 1

Mar 15, 2014
    I'm guessing it will be PG-13.

10. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    The whole ST will most likely be PG-13.

mes520 likes this.
  11. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    If I had to guess, PG-13. Not based off my expectations for a gruesome movie or whatever, just that all of the big blockbuster movies are PG-13 these days.

Lurknomore likes this.
  12. Victorian Time Traveler

Victorian Time Traveler Jedi Master star 3

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm 90% certain it will be rated PG like the 5 out of 6 existing Star Wars films. E7 is aiming to embody a lighthearted tone similar to A New Hope, and I'm fine with that. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for all the upcoming films to be PG-13 or even R, but realistically Star Wars films have traditionally been PG. The only reason Revenge of the Sith was bumped up to PG-13 was because of Anakin's implied child-murder scene and his gruesome immolation. I highly doubt anymore children will be killed or anymore Jedi burned alive going forward....but crazier things have happened o_O

Ditolus likes this.
  13. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    I think it's kind of funny that we're talking about a Star Wars movie getting a PG-13 rating, which I'll grant is possible, when the first movie released with a PG-13 rating is one of the most violent movies ever made.

14. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    It's hard to say
    I don't know how TPM and AOTC got away with PG ratings when we had the horizontal bifurcation of a character (with a mist of blood might I add) and a character's decapitation
    Marvel movies go for more "realistic" violence. That is, real guns and actual hitting people and stuff. SW has lasers that, at most, leave a scorch mark, and there's very little hand to hand combat
    Really I guess the main difference is that in marketing, Marvel movies are aimed more towards young adults/adults who grew up with the comics. SW has always been for kids and for the analytics, I think Just my interpretation

Problem is, the movie ratings system is indecisive. The standards keep changing
    I'm really hoping for PG. As it stands, ROTS is almost too much for me to take. I don't want the ST to scare me lol

15. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    This will be PG. Marvel movies get PG-13 because they tend to show a lot of blood.

Star Wars RARELY shows blood, and most of the violence is sci-fi violence which gets a pass from the MPAA 9 times out of 10.

ONLY ROTS got a PG-13 rating of the Star Wars predecessors, I doubt Disney goes for that on their first outing.

16. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  17. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    From the teaser thread...

Bambi and Finding Nemo are G-rated films. They are for extreme young audience, that has next to zero tolerance for violence...

Star Wars is for kids (Lucas has ALWAYS said Star Wars is a series made for kids... not just "young people"), and it's PG rating in all but ROTS backs that up.

ROTS was not specifically for kids, no... I've already pointed out why that one was different though. Burning someone alive... beheading someone... yeah, can't get PG with that.

The rest of the saga though... is PG through and through. Sci-fi violence gets a pass from the MPAA 9 times out of 10 in and of itself. It's when you add lots of blood that you get in trouble. Star Wars shows no blood.

18. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    This will get a PG13 rating I just got that feeling.

19. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Right so those G movies are "for kids", whereas PG movies that include violence including severed bloody limbs & charred corpses are clearly in a different category. They're for a general audience including older kids. The comment that started this conversation: "Star Wars is for 5 year olds" is ridiculous.

20. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    It's for ALL kids... 5-13yr olds, the age group that will want all the toys.

So specifying 5yr olds... whoever said that, was over the top... but it IS for kids first, but it's story is relatable to all ages, thus general enjoyment comes from every age group. It's just when people start saying that they need the movies to grow up and stop with the kid stuff... those are every bit off base as the person said it's specifically for 5yr olds.

These movies are for kids... FIRST.

21. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    We'll agree to disagree. They're for a general audience first. They're for everyone first. The Marvel films sell plenty of toys & comics too but the films are aimed at everyone. Those movies include love subplots that little kids aren't interested in, political overtones (ditto), & some violence that's over the top for young kids. General audience movies, like SW.

mes520 likes this.
  22. Jonger1150

Jonger1150 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 25, 2005
    The dark forest Sith scene pretty much sealed a PG-13. They are going with dark again.

The Marvel franchise has solidified Disney's acceptance of PG-13.

Darth_Downunder likes this.
  23. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    There is nothing about that scene that says PG-13. No violence or anything.

There are PLENTY of kids movies that are dark in tone...

Haven't you seen Dark Crystal, Empire Strikes Back, Temple of Doom, The Never Ending Story, Labyrinth, A Nightmare before Christmas, Chamber of Secrets just to name a few.

Dark TONE isn't going to have any affect at all on the rating. It's actual content that will affect the rating. since we're not likely to see much if any blood, I doubt it gets PG-13.

24. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Agreed, it will probably be back to being PG, ie for a general audience including kids. RotS was really for teenagers & adults.

25. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    PG13 is the current hollywood trend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.