main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ What will be the top-grossing film of 2006?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Kitt327, Jan 2, 2006.

?

What will be the top-grossing film of 2006?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. X-Men 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Superman Returns

22.2%
  3. Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest

55.6%
  4. Cars

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Da Vinci Code

22.2%
  6. Another movie not listed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    And tell us why. I'm thinking it's going to be Pirates, unless Cars or Superman is particularly good.

2. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    I would like to be able to say x men.... but I think Pirates will, all the tenny bopper johnny depp gusher girls will make sure of that!

3. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    oh please God, not the frickin' Da Vinci Code. When I was in London, it seemed like every second person on the tube was reading a Dan Browne book. (shudder)

There's not that much I'm excited about, to honest. I'm sure X-Men III will be decent enough, and I'm interested enough to see the new Superman film, but there's not much else I'm really desperate to see, other than the Johnny Cash bio-pic, "Walk The Line" which looks awesome.

4. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    I haven't read the Da Vinci Code (it's always on loan at the library), but I've read the entire plot summary online. The hype surrounding it reminds me of the Blair Witch and Alien Autopsy marketing strategy ... 'is it real? you decide!'. It certainly is a money-spinner, there seems to be hundreds of these 'da vinci code decoded', 'da vinci code debunked', 'da vinci code re-coded in base seven with cheese' spin off novels around, trying to cash in on it. I guess people just love conspiracy theories.

5. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    This is where SFL jumps in to defend Dan Brown, yes?

I've read all his books (which SFL lent me, thanks). Decent enough pulp fiction, even if all of the books rehash the same plot. But certainly nothing to stir up the Da Vinci Code craze that seems to have swept the world.

I'll probably see it on DVD eventually. Nothing I'm particulary hanginig out for. And all the recommended movies I've hired on DVD or ones I've liked the look of lately (Hitchhiker's Guide, Life Aquatic, Minority Report) have bored me to sleep. Literally.

Maybe it's that after a day with the kids, putting on a DVD and lying on the couch to watch it isn't the best plan. To be honest I was liking what I saw of Minority Report before i fell asleep.

6. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    I've watched the teaser trailer for Superman online ... the music they used sounds like it could be from the 78 film. Apparently it's supposed to be in continuity with Superman: the movie and Superman II (I guess they're just pretending III and IV were never made, heh.). I've read they're using cut footage of Marlon Brando as Jor-El in it, and the composer is using elements of John William's Superman theme.

And speaking of Superman, does anyone else love the superdickery website as much as me? Funniest website ever.

http://www.superdickery.com/galleries.html

7. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    give me back my life aquatic dvd then.

Dan Brown* (no e STH :p) can write a gripping story, one that once you start is hard to put down, even for me who's never read a book in his life (even one's i 'had to' for english (i got by). And with Tom Hanks as Robert Langdon - it will be a good film (I'm hoping at least).

So STH only likes things other people don't... popularity turns you off a movie or book? :p

*note SFL defending him

8. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    well, to be honest I don't really have a specific issue with Dan Brown's books - they're obviously a "good read" because every second person on the planet has bought one - as I haven't read them. I have read some commentry on them though, and I think he plays a little too much with history. I know he claims the books are a work of fiction, but based on some historical material, and that he's a bit dodgy in terms of acknowledging which of his source material is factual, and which isn't. Which means you have thousands of (mostly) Americans going to France on Da Vinci Code tours, actually believing _everything_ in the books.

But, yeah, point taken - I'm sure i'd actually enjoy the yarn, should I ever decide to read one. I'm off home to make pizza dough.

9. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I'll trade it for my Buller's Birds of New Zealand book. [face_thinking]

How was Gizzy? Muscled in on your flattie's trip, huh? (Please answer in a different thread)

Yes, but they're americans. While we're talking in sweeping generalisations, they (americans) also take the bible literally. And if Da Vinci Code & Angels and Demons it means they're travelling to new countries and experiencing some other culture (albeit from behind their tour bus windows) and viewing classic artworks, well all power to those books.

10. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    and speaking of which, you have my Brian Wilson DVD ...

Anyway, I am the master of sweeping generalisations.

Back to films,. just watched three fantastic documentaries in the last few days - "Murderball", "Grizzly Man" and "Walmart: The High Cost of Low Price". All highly recommended ... esp. "Murderball", about the US/Canadian quadraplegic rudby teams. Hard, hard men.

11. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Yeah, well, you have my, umm, Backstreet Boys documentary DVD.

Guess we'll have to hook up for an exchange of goods in brown paper bags on a disused bridge sometime.

12. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    I reckon the da Vinci Code.

Ain't read the book, but pretty much everyone in the rest of the world has, so there's my logic.

Personally i can't wait to see X3 :cool:

13. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    I've heard uniformly bad stuff about X3, a lot of it from people who loved the first two. i seem to recall it's a new director, because the director of the first two (whose name escapes me) has jumped ship to direct the new Superman film.

Anyone excited about "Walk The Line", the Johnny Cash biopic? Should be awesome.

14. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Da Vinci, solo speaks logic.

From the trailor online, X3 looks good I thought.

The BEAST is in it, woo! :)

15. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    STH, me and the missus are planning on seeing Walk the Line this weekend. We've been hanging out for it actually, big Johnny Cash fans

16. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    wow ... this place is pumping.

Saw "Walk The Line" on the weekend, along with "Everything Is Illuminated", the new Elijah Wood life. Both highly recommeded.

17. Darth_Berserker

Darth_Berserker Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 12, 2005
    greetings i think it will be X men 3 : the last stand, you just got to view the trailer and your hooked, my second vote would be for Pirates of the Carribean 2. D_B

18. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    The full trailer for Superman Returns has been released:

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/supermanreturns/

19. YouAgain

Dec 20, 2001
    Wow I saw X-Men last night... Awesome movie!!

And I'm in love with Kitty Pryde!!

20. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    How? It comes out today? Midnight screening?

Good flick then? mmmmmm tuesday night I'm thinking, cheap tickets.

21. YouAgain

Dec 20, 2001
    yup midnight screening!!

22. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    Saw X-Men 3 this afternoon :) For those who haven't seen it, there's another scene after the credits worth staying for.

23. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    thanks for that kitt.

24. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    damnit, I just remembered about the bonus scene! Anyone else stay for it? PM me what it's about please. I doubt I'll see the movie again... unless on DVD

25. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    This was how it turned out:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=2006&p=.htm

1. Pirates
    2. Cars
    3. X-Men 3
    4. The Da Vinci Code
    5. Superman Returns

I expected Pirates to be the top grosser, but I was surprised at how well it did do in the end ... it was the third highest grossing film of all time on the worldwide chart. It will be interesting to see if Pirates 3 does as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.