main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion What will Han's place be in Ep VII?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by KitsterAKABobaFett, Feb 15, 2013.

1. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007
    It's easy to see what roles Luke and Leia might play in the years after ROTJ. Luke will presumably become a Jedi Master and rebuild the Order, while Leia could either stay involved in politics, become a Jedi herself, or both. But what role does Han play? I don't see him saying active with the military or anything. And with a new Republic, he would have no one to smuggle past. Where will be at the start of Ep VII?

I suppose it could also depend on whether he's still involved with Leia. If she's involved in politics, is he too in some way? Seems unlikely to me. If she's a Jedi, how does he spend his time? Do he and Chewie just work transporting goods?

I can definitely see an aging cowboy arc like you see in Westerns, where an aimless Han feels like he has no place with the new times, and when a new threat rears its head, he goes out in a blaze of glory with the Falcon...

Other thoughts?

2. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    Blaze of glory, Chewie and him, like Thelma and Louise...but for Geeks.

3. Iefan

Iefan Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 31, 2013
    Who knows. Maybe he will be a side character who will save Luke from a tie fighter squadron right before he blows up Death Star III.

4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I like the idea of Han as the retired war hero itching to have one last battle to fight and then going out in a blaze of glory on the Falcon while protecting the new protagonists.

5. Zane the Reaper

Zane the Reaper Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    Get ready for replies that involve the EU.

Not saying it would be bad or good if they went in that direction. Just sayin - get ready :)

I personally wouldn't be surprised if, when we meet them in Episode VI, Han and Leia are having trouble or are broken up because of her political career, or because Han got restless living a life on the straight-and-narrow.

We shall see.

6. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I think he would have to be with Leia. That was the assumption at the end of ROTJ. And even those who have never read a bit of the EU have probably heard they got married in the books.

7. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Not gonna lie, I burst out laughing.

Iefan likes this.
  8. Corax78

Corax78 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2008
    Supreme Chancellor of the New Republic.

yodasbum and Zane the Reaper like this.
  9. Zane the Reaper

Nov 5, 2012
    "Yes, I tried death sticks as a young man in the Academy... but I didn't inhale."

TreborSabreon likes this.
  10. Jinn-N-Tonic

Jinn-N-Tonic Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 17, 2006
    What if they go the Rocky Balboa/Rocky VI route with an aging Han Solo and he's still grieving and struggling to move forward in life since Leia's (off screen) death and a new threat to the Republic and his surving family brings him out of the slump and back into the cockpit of the Millenium Falcon?

Graphic likes this.
  11. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Pretty much this.

I see him like Winston from the Mummy.

12. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Han goes on a mission to save his Daughter & or Grand-daughter ......

13. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    I thnk much like the EU, he'd be a hero's face that could be sent on missions to garner support. Don't waste a charismatic superstar.

14. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Han's place? Somewhere in the backseat of the Millenium falcon ranting on the driving ability of his kid *kinda like this*

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  15. RAZORBLADE

RAZORBLADE Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 13, 2013
    i want to see the falon get a skyfall/aston martin moment. i like the idea of han and chewie being retired, been gifted with a new ship but struggling to understand it. all we hear about the falcon is it is in a hanger somewhere gathering dust. in the last act an attempt is made on leia's life and han comes to the rescue. as they make thier way to the main hanger they get cut off and they go to han's secret hanger where the falcon is there in all it's glory[ han will say chewie has been fixing it up]

Echo-07 likes this.
  16. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    For the life of me, I can't picture Han doing anything in this other than lounging around.

17. RAZORBLADE

RAZORBLADE Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 13, 2013
    [QUOTEi want to see the falon get a skyfall/aston martin moment. i like the idea of han and chewie being retired, been gifted with a new ship but struggling to understand it. all we hear about the falcon is it is in a hanger somewhere gathering dust. in the last act an attempt is made on leia's life and han comes to the rescue. as they make thier way to the main hanger they get cut off and they go to han's secret hanger where the falcon is there in all it's glory[ han will say chewie has been fixing it up]][/QUOTE]

also i would kill off Han at the end of EP VII, and give his Jacen[the main protaginist] someone to honour. star wars has always had missing fathers, so with this trilogy we should play with that and have han die and have jacen feel responsible. i would mirror anakin's struggle with letting go, by having Jacen struggle with the death of someone close, starts to dabble in the dark side, but unlike anakin, he realises that death is an important part of life and it is not the end. he will learn to let go

Echo-07 likes this.
  18. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Han should save Jacen in a self sacrifice moment...

"Your mother. You have to take care of her..."

-C

Echo-07 likes this.
  19. DarthRelaxus

DarthRelaxus Chosen One star 5

Apr 23, 2007
    Please, let's not have SW sink to the level of other sequels and go through the cheesy plot device where they broke up and have to go through the painful (for the audience) process of rekindling the romance.

20. Zane the Reaper

Nov 5, 2012
    I absolutely see your point - I just said I wouldn't be surprised.

I think the way you avoid those kind of traps is to keep the "big three" in the background. Then again maybe not lol it's so much speculation.

What would you rather see? (not being snarky - actually curious)

21. DarthRelaxus

DarthRelaxus Chosen One star 5

Apr 23, 2007
    The only way to avoid the possibility that this will be a plot point is to have them stay together through the decades. If they aren't a couple in VII, people will expect them to get back together. Even if that doesn't happen, the plot device will rear it's ugly head.

22. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    His place is on the Falcon, where it's always been.

23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'd rather not see him as some disgraced figure.

24. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I've always imagined him growing into a more respectable role after the war. Not so much with the military, but building up his own enterprise and running a shipping company or something along those lines. That way, he will still be doing what he loves (tinkering with ships and piloting the Falcon) and he will also have time to be a father and husband (the new generation has to come from somewhere).

What does this mean for Episode VII? At the onset of a new conflict, I can see him picking up right where he left off and jumping back into the action. And as others have said above, I think it will also be likely that he will sacrifice himself for the cause.

But yeah, those are just some random thoughts. If there's anything I don't want to see, it's a plot that follows a fractured relationship between Han and Leia and how they spend a good chunk of the film trying to mend things. That has been done too many times before and it gets old very quick.

25. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I was waiting to read that. ;)

edit: I forgot to mention that you're right, by the way.

Echo-07 and Pro Scoundrel like this.