What will happen to Star Wars when George Lucas is gone?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by MasterDillon, Jun 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Padawan4687 Force Ghost

star 4
    Okay, how would you be here that long? I just want to know why insult her?

Anything bad, including constructive criticism is frowned upon? Huh? Then what happened to all the mean comments I have found before about Jar-jar?
  2. Darth_Gamek Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Don't get me started on the TCW forum here. :rolleyes:
  3. Padawan4687 Force Ghost

star 4
  4. Darth_Gamek Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Just read the stuff there, and you'll see how bad it is. :rolleyes:
  5. Padawan4687 Force Ghost

star 4
    Mind to shoot me a link? Or give me the name so I can find it. I'm a bit busy...
  6. Darth_Gamek Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  7. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    I don't know that anyone has said anything against constructive criticism. Labels and name-calling, which is probably what you found on Jar-Jar since I've seen it as well, is simply childish and not conducive to discussion. Only to playground-ish "Yes he is!" "No he isn't!" arguments.

I'm not a mod, and I don't know anything about TF.N "frowning upon" this sort of thing, but it certainly does not push forth any sort of real conversation, only a lot of "rah rah rahs!" or "No he isn't!" comments.
  8. Sistros Force Ghost

star 6
    which is why I haven't said why I don't like her

it's not enough to say you don't like a character, you're then asked why you dislike that character and then be called a basher over it.

it's not bashing to disilke a character, that is a stupid argument.

You don't like a tiny bit part of Star Wars, you're treated like a lepar who shouldn't belong on these boards, and for some that is justifiable

9. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    No, it isn't bashing to dislike a character.

But I would say that it is bashing if, in response to "Why do you dislike this character?", the answer is "Because he or she is a [Insert Childish Insult Here]!"

I can only speak for myself, but I would not label "I don't like this character because this character does X, Y, or Z" as bashing, because it does not involve childish name-calling and actually produces discussion.

That's just me, I can't speak for anyone else who has ever made the "bashing" accusation.
  10. Sistros Force Ghost

star 6
    well I can name a quite a few in the PT especially, so i might PM shaner over it,

and I agree, childish insults are pathetic, but when someone even makes a good argument why they don't like a character/situation, you get the "gushers" slam into them saying things like "that's a strawmans argument" or "you suck" it's worse on the gusher side than it is basher side i've observed.

And I consider myself neither one, i like a lot of star wars, but also thinks it has a lot of bad points too.

Anyway:

I think that Star Wars will continue long after Lucas has departed

a bit like Star Trek

11. Chewgumma Chosen One

star 7
    I have the time and the sanity.

- She has a habit of one upping established characters. In her first episode of the actual TV show Ahsoka speaks back towards Obi-Wan, Anakin, Yoda and Palpatine simultaniously!!! Then there are moments where she notices obvious things that Jedi Knights and Masters mircaulously don't, like in Bounty Hunters and she points out smoke from a camp fire which Obi-Wan and Anakin miraculously missed. It's an obvious attempt to say "Love me I'm clever!!!" but many fans just said "Bugger o'rf! You're a Mary Sue!"

- Her un-jedi like attitude towards everything. There was a recent episode where she essentialy went "My master told me to do something, but that's not his job!" and does the opposite. Noone has a problem with her voicing her concern, but her disobedience is just annoying.

- Her alarming dress sense. It's gotten undeniably better after season 3, but anything is an improvement on a boob tube, a mini skirt and a pair of leggings, which were probably only added out of last minute modesty because of the athletic jumps she does. It's really not suitable attire for a 14 year old to wear.

- The way she has been hamfistedly crammed into canon to create a character we have no foreknowledge about to create a sense of mystery in an otherwise predictable outcome(something that was somewhat unnessecary as the prequels seem to prove.).

Is that enough reasoning?[face_whistling]
  12. Sistros Force Ghost

star 6
    ChewGumma: =D= =D= =D=

first time i've ever agreed with you,

you're spot on in everything you said.

13. Chewgumma Chosen One

star 7
    I feel unclean.:p
  14. Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Okay, guys, not the Ahsoka discussion. Please.
  15. TrueJedi Force Ghost

star 5
    I can't even imagine this world without George Lucas. His brilliance has changed all our lives for the better. Sure, IMHO he's made some mistakes with the saga but it was Lucas who created his incredible universe in which we all find so much pleasure. And that's not even taking into account what he's done with the special effects industry. His innovations have brought to life all sorts of sci-fi and fantasy films that in the not-too-distant past were not possible to bring to the screen. He's helped other companies like WETA continue to improve CGI to the point where anything that can be dreamed, can now be put on the screen.

At this point, it's all just a matter of refining the CGI so that it looks more and more realistic. I look forward when we get to the point where we can computer generate actors to the point where real actors won't be that necessary any longer. Could you imagine how much less expensive it will be to make movies without having to pay outrageous salaries to actors? They can make more movies for less money.

As for who could take the reins from here with regards to the SW saga, I don't really know. Clearly, it has to be someone who knows every aspect of the SW universe. My preference would be someone who isn't deeply in love with the EU. Someone who understands the motivations of every aspect of the functioning universe. Someone who lives and breathes SW would be nice.

Regardless, I pray for a long and productive life for our good friend George.

16. Sinrebirth SWC and EUC Forum Moderator

Manager
    star 7
    Katie did fudge Asajj's back story for no real good reason, one could argue, and Filoni shot continuity in the head when he killed Evan Piell, but otherwise I'm hoping Filoni takes over...

... oh who knows. We'll have three more films not long after, we can expect.
  17. Darth_Gamek Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  18. Ree Force Ghost

star 5
    Lol! That's because even those who like or don't mind Jar Jar still laugh at the criticisms because they are true! :p Don't worry Padawan I'm not going to bash jar Jar...he and i are tight :D
  19. Chance the Jedi Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm going to sit back and enjoy this thread.[face_laugh]
  20. Riven_JTAC Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I completely agree that this technical competence and innovation will be missed.

I am more than a bit miffed at many of the changes he's made in terms of story and continuity, and his seemingly arrogant attitude with regards to the contribution of EU writers. However, he did begin this universe and without him we wouldn't be having a discussion. He started something great. It has had its bumps in the road, but at the end of the day, Star Wars is good for us all. :)
  21. Chewgumma Chosen One

star 7
    I have had an aversion to daylight and nature since I became a Star Wars fan.:p
  22. Riven_JTAC Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    It's good for us all... from a certain point of view? [face_thinking]
  23. Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus

star 6
    And social interactions. I seem to have forgotten what those might be. :p
  24. Darth_Gamek Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Social Interactions? Isn't that the thing I signed up for 16 years ago? I haven't checked it in ages. :p
  25. Axle-Starweilder Force Ghost

star 6
    hopefully, after george lucas is gone, they'll stop making shows about the clone wars.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.