main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What will happen to the younglings?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Jedi_Ankh, Jun 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Ankh

Jedi_Ankh Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2003
    All the Jedi are wiped out. . . Do the younglings that Yoda teach count? Would they have them killed in a PG movie?
    Just think, they could escape and never finish their training, and without the masters they're no threat. . . Hmmm. . . Or GL could go completely morbid when he knows kids around that age are out there watching and get them slaughtered. Little too much if ya' ask me. . .
    Well, what do you think?

2. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    I don't know if Lucas wants to kill off the younglings... that sounds too morbid for his style.

If you'll pardon my EU reference, in Kathy Tyers' Truce of Bakura, a boy named Dev Sibwarra was able to manipulate the Force (although to a very limited degree). If Lucas decides to let the younglings live (which I think will go over better with the audience and critics), they'll likely retain the rudimentary knowledge of their Jedi training, but they'll never develop beyond that so they'll likely become regular Joes.... or (dare I say) servants to the Empire.

My God, I never thought I'd work an EU reference in one of my posts... :eek:

3. Jedi_Ankh

Jun 5, 2003
    Yeah, you have a point. . . But Yoda lives so, wouldn't he want to secretly teach some in hopes that they will save them? The emperor isn't stupid and he might think of that. Lol, I highly doubt GL would go that far, but it makes ya' wonder. . .
    [EDIT] I just remembered, they don't know where their parents are so they would have no where to go. . . Slavery *could* be possible. . . *raises eyebrow*[/EDIT]
    Hehe. I have never read any of the EU books so that won't be a problem with me, g'eh :).

4. obi_wan_kanathan

obi_wan_kanathan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2001
    If they were still around, then why would Luke and Leia be the last hope? It cheapens the story to think that there are a bunch of jedi hopefuls still around.

I'm sure that they'll be killed, but I'm not as sure if you'll be able to tell it from that movie alone. I know that Lucas would never make it obvious that the children were being killed, but I hope that he hints at it.

5. Jedi_Ankh

Jun 5, 2003
    G'ahhh. . . How could he hint at it? Just Obi-Wan and/or Yoda talking about it? Lol, gruesome stuff . . .
    They wouldn't really be much help as Luke and Leia were because they were son and daughter of the most Force-sensitive couple.
    So they're natural heroes, I think . . .

(yes, I like my dots :p)

6. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    They'll die when the Jedi Temple is destroyed by the Empire.

7. jedi_867

jedi_867 Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2003
    i think they'll be wiped out i mean it might not show it but somehow it will illustrate it or by now there padawan's and die in action who knows?? ?[face_plain]

8. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    If they were still around, then why would Luke and Leia be the last hope? It cheapens the story to think that there are a bunch of jedi hopefuls still around.

Yep, kind of ruins Yoda's "When gone am I, the last of the Jedi will you be" line

9. Obi-Ron42

Obi-Ron42 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2002
    I am expecting Palpatine to tell the new Vader to search every planet for the Jedi (which would play off Anakin's line "I want to be the first one to see them all! in the Phantom Menace) and destroy them all. I'm sure the man in charge isn't gonna let any kid that can bring him down get away. So yes, I think they'll be eliminated, but it will probably not be actually shown.

10. Apophis

Apophis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2002
    Maybe when Vader comes to destroy the Jedi Temple he first fights some Jedi from the Council.
    Then you see a room full of children.
    Vader walks in and the door closes and then the Imperial March starts to play ...

11. lightsaber_wielder

lightsaber_wielder Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2002
    They'll definitely have to be killed. Whether on-screen or off-screen remains to be seen, but personally I don't want to see four and five-year-old kids murdered. Not cool. [face_plain] :(

12. Apophis

Apophis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2002
    If Lucas hints at the death of the younglings I think it would portray the darkness of Ep III a lot.
    I would like that !

And besides that, in the real world there are also women and children who die.
    It's not just the men.

13. djbonez

djbonez Jedi Youngling

Feb 17, 1999
    Thousands of children were killed on Alderran in Ep 4. Was it gruesome?

14. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Exactamundo. All we need to see is a shot of the Temple going boom, and the point will get across.

Afterall, not only are all the Younglings at the Temple, but a lot of other Jedi, too. Sidious would have to be a fool - which he's not - to not take the chance of taking out all those Jedi.

15. Darth_Sacrilicious

Darth_Sacrilicious Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 30, 2003
    Anakin killed a bunch of children tusken raiders, i don't see why the younglings wouldn't be killed in the same off-screen maner. they had to hide luke and leia so they wouldn't be killed as children either.

16. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I think they will be wiped out with all the other Jedi, but we won't hear about it.

17. Jedi_Ankh

Jun 5, 2003
    Wow, I was surprised to come on here and see this topic still on the first page! Lol

And, yes, that would be the best and most PG way, to blow up the Jedi Temple. That would be the least gruesome and gets the point across. ;)

18. jedimelis

jedimelis Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2002
    Remember that Alderaan was blown up.... that implies many dead innocents, therefore it is very probable that the Jedi Temple will be destroyed.

19. ogilbyb

ogilbyb Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2003
    I think that while we will know that they have died (along with all the Jedi save Obi Wan and Yoda) we will not see the Younglings deaths in detail. They will be at the most be in a situation where they are doomed and where we know they die like an explosion or a bunch of Bounty Hunters entering into a room where they are.

20. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    I don't think GL would actually SHOW the slaughter of so many young children. While Ep III is supposed to be a much darker film...GL still seems to have a strong sense of family-man ethics, that wouldn't permit him to resort to such graphic bloodshed.

There may be scenes where it is assumed the Clonetrooper/Vader/Imperials go through the jedi temple...and murder everyone they come across. But as for GL showing it...you've got the wrong type of director.

Some of the younger children may escape (having only recieved bare basic training) and grow up into many of the future Force -sensitive individuals we come across in EU?

21. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    All GL has to do to keep the money machine rolling is to have a quick shot of a few youngling survivors with Sidious nearby.

Then we could assume that those children become 'Emperors hands', or Dark Jedi, or ..... whatever, and then they could start a whole new series of books between E3 & E4.
    It would also open up a world of possibilities for of people like Mara Jade.
    But thats all EU.

Personally, for E3, I think it makes more sense for Sid to kill 'em all, but I dont know how they'll do that on screen without an R rating. And I dont think GL will agre to an R rating.
    So... I'm stumped.

22. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    It would also open up a world of possibilities for of people like Mara Jade.
    Not really, unless one of the infants manages to escape (or maybe not)...and grows up to be the person we know as Mara Jade, most of the younglings are too old to be roughly the same age as Luke and Leia.

I don't think GL is willing to give in to "the dark side" and actually show the slaughter of hundreds of young children in his movies. There are a numbers of ways to imply that the killing took place, but I doubt GL will be reduced to gratuidous violence for the sake of creating a "dark movie"

But thats all EU...you say that as if it were a bad thing?

23. Leah

Leah Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 26, 2003
    They will die unfortunantly. :_|

24. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    There death will be implied, just like the Tuskens.

Except, I think we should have seen more of the Tusken massacre...just a little.

25. jada_marnew

jada_marnew Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2003
    Pulling from the EU, Children of the Jedi deals with the subject of the children or younglings being hidden on a planet - Plawel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.