main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What Will ILM Work On First?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by adamclark83, Oct 24, 2014.

1. adamclark83

adamclark83 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2009
    When ILM starts/started working on Episode VII, do they start off with certain sequences? For example, would they be working on scenes that would form part of the first teaser? Do they prefer to get the heavy-effects sequences out of the way first?

2. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I think ILM will be working on multiple sequences simultaneously. If I had to guess, I would think space sequences or those sequences that have live actor involved would go first

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Space & star fields for backdrops to everything else.

EviL_eLF and plaidphoenix like this.
  4. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    It's an interesting question as I honestly have no idea how they determine the priority of the scenes and the order in which they are to be done. My guess would be that the most demanding scenes are done first, so that if something goes wrong there is still enough time to fix it.

Echo Base and plaidphoenix like this.
  5. Darth Lurker

Darth Lurker Jedi Knight star 1

May 24, 2014
    I can't wait for someone who works in film to chime in, as I'm actually pretty interested in knowing the answer.

My guess would be whatever film can gets dropped on their desk first is the one they work on... But I don't know poop about the film industry, lol.

6. Kajash

Kajash Jedi Master star 2

May 15, 2002

I'd guess they start with the easiest and cheapest ones as there might be rewrites and throwing out elaborate, time consuming and expensive pieces would be wasteful.

7. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Truth to that as well. I guess the easiest ones are being done by sort of "auxilliary teams" so to speak. The big and important ones are handled by the "main teams" of the company, so both are being done at the same time. Still, I don't think it's a good idea to leave the toughest things to do last when you have a set release deadline that cannot be budged even a day or two. If something goes wrong and you need 6 more hours to render that final shot... you're properly screwed.

Echo Base likes this.
  8. Royale w/ Codeine

Royale w/ Codeine Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2014
    What does International Ladies Men have to do with this? Is that not what ILM stands for?

9. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014

[​IMG]

Royale w/ Codeine likes this.
  10. Kajash

Kajash Jedi Master star 2

May 15, 2002

JJ Abrams might point out scenes that are virtually set in stone, they might work on them too. But until the reshoots they will be cautious with their scheduling.

11. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I think initial model building, some kit bashing would factor in there...

12. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    They usually work on heavy-duty stuff first, like big battles or scenes with lots of particles and physics. Also scenes for the teaser trailer.

13. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    ILM has probably been slowly working on stuff for a few years now; I'm pretty confident that their gears were already in motion before Lucas sold Lucasfilm. Naturally, the heavy duty workload comes with the completed, ready-to-shoot-script and when reels finally starting coming in.

How they delegate workload and priorities once they have film to work with, I am unsure.

14. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I would assume that they probably have teams working on different things at the same time.

15. kegs202

kegs202 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    Mod edit: Removed image containing disallowed language.

16. Royale w/ Codeine

Royale w/ Codeine Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2014
    Yes sir...... can I finish my drink first?

17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
  18. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    ILM has been working on Episode VII since even before filming began. JJ likes having completed (or near-complete) effects to show his actors, so ILM has been doing stuff for about a year now. Even Kevin Smith saw completed sequences put together when he was there.

19. kegs202

Jan 26, 2013
    Sorry, it was just a bit of humour.

20. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Right, but please watch the language in images too. Thanks.

21. kegs202

Jan 26, 2013
    No problem

EHT likes this.
  22. seasider

seasider Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 12, 2002
    If J.J is anything like Spielberg, he's probably editing the film as he shoots and then sending the footage immediately to ILM to get to work. But ILM will likely be just one of several VFX houses working on the movie to get it ready in time for December 2015 release date.

23. acroyear7

acroyear7 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 11, 2006
    I hope ILM gives us more than the usual two-dimensional outer space scenes Star Wars is notorious for. Maybe 'Interstellar' will light a fire under ILM.

24. acroyear7

acroyear7 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 11, 2006
    Maybe, MAYBE, Star War Ep. 7 will win an Oscar for Best Visual Effects, let alone be nominated for one.

25. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    The 3D models for things like ships were built before filming started, likely during pre-production. In fact they probably used them to help produce the props on set for the X-wings and so forth.