main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What will Indy 4 be about? (speculation only - no spoilers please)

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Coolguy4522, Jul 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dubya_Fett

Dubya_Fett Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2001
    If Paramount isn't releasing it, how will they do the trademark opening shot where the Paramount mountain logo fades into a real mountain? All the other films have it, so it would seem strange if "Indiana Jones IV" didn't.

-Dubya Fett

2. ComicDude

ComicDude Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 9, 2001
    Not too strange.

3. Darth_Rediculous

Darth_Rediculous Jedi Youngling

Dec 13, 2001
    I want a sequel to "Raider's of the Lost Ark"...you could set the movie 20 years in the future...so it's now somewhere between 1955-1960. Harrison has aged, so it makes sense, right?

Have the Ark play an important role in some scientific military research and have it turn up missing from the warehouse or something...Indy is the only one who know the true power of the ark and is brought back to try to find it...instead of Nazi's, the enemy could be the Russians...they could bring back Karen Allen too...since we never found out what happens to her...

Somehow we need to go back to Egypt and see Sallah again, so maybe there's something else from Tanis that the heros need...

4. Aftermath

Aftermath Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 18, 2001
    A long time ago, on a UBB far far away (the old JC), there was a brief Indy Fanfic going one. I didn't write for it (not enough time) but I came up with a plot for the story.

"Indiana Jones and the Tomb of Genghis Khan"
    Setting: 1937, China
    It involves the Japanese with aid of Nazi scientists searching for the lost tomb of Genghis Khan in the recently conquered parts of China. They're hoping to find some mystical object (no one quit knows what it is until they find it) that will turn the tide of war in the owner's favor. It's up to Indy to keep the Axis Powers from getting their hands on it.

Of course, this could be easily tranposed into the Cold War era with the Russians of Chinese looking for the Khan's tomb. It could be in Russia since Genghis Khan was born on the shores of Lake Baikal. No one knows where or how he died. He just road of on a hunting trip and never returned.

5. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    it would be really good if the guy who wrote sixth sence and unbreakable (and signs) writes it. i forgotten his name....

6. scum&villainy

scum&villainy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 8, 1999
    It's my opinion that Raiders is the best film ever made. It has everything - action, suspense, humour etc etc - but the most important thing it has is that massive sense of foreboding - the gradual realisation that the Ark should not be found. Ever.

That adds a real ominous darkness to the (otherwise fairly lighthearted) action. It sets the film above all its peers. It makes Raiders the classic it is. That foreboding is solely due to the fact that the Ark is a religious artefact; something can all relate to and, in this modern athiest and humanistic world, be fearful of. The Ark represents the biiblical wrath of God - an awesome and powerful God we've all been taught about since we were children, but have ignored.

Then we have the later Indy films - neither of which have this ominous umbrella hanging over them - and they're both poor imitations of Raiders. They're just action-adventure films. They both lack that Doomsday fear. They miss the fearful shadow of God - our God.

If Lucas wants to resurrect Indy, he has to reach beyond the crap that passes for action-adventure these days. Tomb Raider and the piss-poor Mummy franchise obviously cover Indy territory, without ever coming close to the sense of biblical awe inspired by Raiders. Why? Because we don't believe. We don't believe in the Tomb Raider Timeclock. We don't fear the Scorpion King or his army of man-dogs. We don't buy into false artefacts and therefore don't give a damn that people are searching for them.

I'd rather not see another Indy film than have another shallow, meaningless adventure romp by numbers.

7. Coolguy4522

Coolguy4522 Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 21, 2000
    As a Mormon, I think that Indy searching for something like the sword of Laban or the liehona(sp) would be cool. But I think that the ten lost tribes would be the best.

8. DARTH-VASKA

DARTH-VASKA Jedi Youngling

Nov 24, 2001
    It would be bad to make Indy 4 about aliens, because if this a film that many people are waiting for, which they are, than you'd want to do something that's not original. A lot of the movie sequels that are out always have something on aliens and that's getting a little boring.

9. Coolguy4522

Dec 21, 2000
    Well considering that Indina Jones has nothing to do with space, that would be pretty stupid. On the other hand, imagine Indy at Rosewell or something looking to retrive a artifact that the aliens took.

10. Coolguy4522

Dec 21, 2000
    Up.

I heard that they recently confirmed this.

11. CountBakufu

CountBakufu Jedi Master star 2

Oct 10, 2001
    The only rumors about a story was:

Indiana Jones and the Lost City of Atlantis

12. Ben_Skywalker

Ben_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 20, 2001
    "I heard that they recently confirmed this."

What? About Indy at Roswell?

13. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    OK, I had a Indy 4 thread on JCC, but looks like I've to come to this forum, Ok...

Here is some MORE news from Sci-Fi Wire

Steven Spielberg updated Cinescape Online on the progress of the fourth Indiana Jones movie, for which writer/director Frank Darabont has been hired to pen the script. "The status is that Frank Darabont is starting?he's writing the screenplay," Spielberg told the site. "We just made Frank's deal two weeks ago. We have the story, which is a story George Lucas wrote. It's a wonderful story. We have Harrison Ford, who's approved the story. He's ready to perform in the movie."

Spielberg added, "The movie's going to be shot probably in May of 2004. When I say probably, it could be April or May of 2004, and the movie's going to come out probably for the July 4th weekend of 2005, because the last Star Wars is going to come out the week before Memorial Day 2005. So we're coordinating this to be a one-two punch, with the last Star Wars coming out in 2005 in May and Indiana Jones IV coming out 2005, probably June 29th or July 4th."

As for Ford's advancing age, Spielberg said, "Harrison Ford can still kick the sh-t out of most people half his age. I think he's in great condition to put the fedora and the ... leather jacket back on and crack that bullwhip a few more times."

14. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    Frank Marshall, one of the producers of Indy said the film would take place in the 1950's. It has to take place during that time. There's no way Indy can still be fighting Nazis in the thirties. It's going to be out 16 years after the Last Crusade and Indy has to age accordingly. I know Spielberg doesn't want to do the cartoon Nazis after Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan.

He'll definitely be battling the Soviet Union. Get a villian with a good enough accent and it should be a lot of fun.

As for what the story will be about, I don't know. A major item no doubt. The return of the Ark could be interesting but I think they'll do something different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.