What will Indy 4 be about?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Coolguy4522, Feb 18, 2002.

?

What will Indy 4 be about?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
The Lost City of Atlantis 22 vote(s) 31.9%
Monkeys 4 vote(s) 5.8%
Skeletons 3 vote(s) 4.3%
Snakes 2 vote(s) 2.9%
Rats 1 vote(s) 1.4%
Cockroaches and other assorted bugs 2 vote(s) 2.9%
Ancient junk that nobody cares about 4 vote(s) 5.8%
A Infernal Machine 2 vote(s) 2.9%
Old guy in bed 2 vote(s) 2.9%
All of the above 27 vote(s) 39.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coolguy4522 Jedi Youngling

star 4
  2. Dubya_Fett Jedi Knight

star 3
    I take it Coolguy4522 that you are not excited by the prospect of an "Indiana Jones IV"?

Seriously, nobody knows what the plot is. but Spielberg and Lucas insist they have a story and a title, but not a finished script. Here's a few things we do know:

1. They aren't going to hide Ford's age. Ford wants to deal with Indy getting older.

2. Sean Connery is interested in playing Indy's dad again.

3. While plugging "The Complete Adventures of Indiana Jones" video series, Rick McCallum said the "Young Indiana Jones" TV series and the "Indiana Jones" features would eventually span the first half of the 20th century, from Indy's birth in 1899 to the 1950s. Since "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" was set in 1938, expect "Indy IV" to be set in the 1950s (this would tie into Ford's age).

4. McCallum also said that the Nazis would not be the villains. Considering "Indy IV" will most likely be set in the 1950s, and the Soviets were featured in the "Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine" video game, I expect the Soviets will be the bad guys.

5. Spielberg reportedly denied that Atlantis would be part of the plot, saying that Indy would probably look for another Biblical relic.

6. Kate Capshaw has publicly expressed the desire of her and the other "Indiana Jones" female leads (Karen Allen and Alison Doody) to appear in the fourth film. Presumably Doody would not be involved, as her character died in "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade". Spielberg recently was quoted as saying that his wife Capshaw would be in the film, but quickly cast doubt on that statement. Allen has denied that she has been asked to appear in "Indy IV", but that was a few years ago.

7. Noone is sure when "Indy IV" will be made, but Ford, Lucas, and Spielberg have made too much fuss about this project to back down now. Spielberg is currently working on two films, "Minority Report" and "Catch Me If You Can", for 2002, but does not know what his next project after that will be. Besides "Indy IV", Spielberg has been planning an adaptation of the book "Memoirs of a Geisha" and the biopic "Lindbergh". Lucas and McCallum say they might not be free to work on "Indy IV" until "Star Wars - Episode III" is released in 2005. I doubt "Indy IV" could be completed by 2003, but a 2004 release is possible. If "Indy IV" is made after the "Star Wars" prequels are finished, 2006 would be an ideal year: it would be the 25th anniversary of "Raiders of the Lost Ark".

Personally, I think a good story for "Indy IV" would have Indy racing against the Soviets in the midst of the Cold War to find a mystical artifact found and hidden by the Nazis during World War II. As for the Biblical relic in question, I recommend the Holy Lance (also known as the Spear of Destiny or Lance of Longinus), the spear used by the Roman centurion Longinus to wound the side of Christ during the Crucifixion. Legend has it that the Lance made its wielder unstoppable in battle or allowed them to see the future, but carried a deadly curse. Hitler actually siezed what he thought was the Lance from the Hapsburg treasury in 1938, and it played an important role in the Nazi myth. The legend of the Lance was closely tied to that of the Holy Grail, so it would be a good excuse to bring back Sean Connery as Indy's father.

-Dubya Fett
  3. StarDude Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Dubya_Fett is my knew best friend. ;)
  4. Superty88 Jedi Knight

star 1
  5. Dubya_Fett Jedi Knight

star 3
    UPDATE: Spielberg recently announced that he will not direct "Memoirs of a Geisha" and will just produce it instead. The director said he did not know what his next project for 2003 will be. Spielberg says Lucas himself is highly involved and has written a story and title for "Indiana Jones IV", but did not release any details. They still do not have a finished script.

Rumour has it that the "Indiana Jones" films may soon be coming to DVD. If so, Lucasfilm might use it to release more musings about an "Indy IV", as they did with the remastered "Indy" videos a few years back. Harrison Ford has already signed up to do another picture, however, so while the "Indy IV" buzz is gaining steam, there is still nothing solid on the film.

-Dubya Fett
  6. Mace Windy Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I have heard people in the past mention that they believe Indy should be searching for the fountain of youth. In my opinion, this would be a great idea, and would be an excusable reason to make a forth film with such an old Ford.

:cool: Mace Windy,
    windier than the signature feature!

7. jewlmc Jedi Master

star 4
    What is the deal with Ford's age? Cripes Connery is still doing action flicks and looking pretty decent. Plus I am sure as self deprecating as the Indy series has been they will do something about the age thing.
  8. Basil_Hennington Jedi Master

star 4
    Personally, I have always been interested in Atlantis and think that is a great idea.

I also don't see the problem with Harrison's age. He is still in great shape and a stud, and I know many woman who think he looks fab, maybe even better than when he was younger.
  9. Basil_Hennington Jedi Master

star 4

Also, Indiana Jones already goes into the 1950's, as Harrison Ford, in Mystery of the Blues, played him in 1952.
  10. jewlmc Jedi Master

star 4
    Ford definately gets better looking with age.

His taste in women....a different story.
  11. Fluke_Groundrunner Force Ghost

star 4
    "Mystery of the Blues" is my favorite Young Indy episode.

I sure hope that the search for Atlantis is what part IV will be about, although, it would have to be destroyed or something as to preserve reality.

Considering that Indy and his father both drank from the cup that gave eternal life, would they really age as quickly, it at all?
  12. rpeugh Force Ghost

star 4
    I could have sworn that in THE LAST CRUSADE, once you pass the seal, you lost your eternal life.
  13. weezer Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Space and aliens.

You know what. I've said it before and I'll say it again Indy 4 is going to be just like Mummy.

Alot of people don't like that series of films but I do. I think with GL's and SS's newfound love of CGI its going to be a very diffrent movie from the originals. I still can't wait though :D
  14. Fluke_Groundrunner Force Ghost

star 4
    I don't think that Indy 4 will need a ton of CGI to make it effective like the SW prequels require. Sure it will be used, but I hope GL doesn't over do it just because he can, or else it will be comparable to the webpage of someone who has just found out how to make text blink.

I can't help to think that Indy, his dad, and son will somehow save the world this time.
  15. Rupert_Pupkin Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Indiana Jones and the Return of Short Round
  16. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    Atlantis has been tossed around alot, and so has the Fountain of Youth. There is a possibility that combines the two:

Shangri La.
  17. Nrf-Hrdr Jedi Master

star 4
    I find it somehow hard to believe that Lucas would steal ideas from a decade-old video game for an Indy film.
  18. Fluke_Groundrunner Force Ghost

star 4
    Considering that the Atlantis legend has been around a tad bit longer then the Search for Atlantis video game, I don't think people would see the new Indy film as being based on the video game.
  19. Friend_of_Skylark Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Actually I think he should be looking for the Hammer of Thor. But that's just my humble Scandinavian opinion...
  20. HavocHound Jedi Master

star 4
    All. They gotta have all the obligatory carcasses and melting faces and all that kinda stuff. *goes hyper at the thought of it* :D

That scene at the end of 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' where Belloch's head explodes and the Nazis get electrocuted and that one guys head implodes and Aramac melts was always my favorite scene when I was a kid. Ever since back in the day, I've always enjoyed watching bad peoples' faces melt or rot.

~~~~~

Bruce Campbell could be Indy's new comical sidekick (with Sam Raimi collaborating on the directing, no less). Think about it...Carolina Campbell! :D [face_laugh]
  21. BossNassDeckMechanic Jedi Padawan

I think that they should do a movie adaptation of the game Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. That game is the best point and click adventure game ever created, surpassing even the Monkey Island series (And I am a HUGE fan of Monkey Island). It is absolutely perfect.
  22. Tam_Rolias Jedi Padawan

I was stated in an interview a hile back, b4 the prequels, with Speilberg and Lucas in the room, that the indiana jones movie would prolly involve the area 51 saga he always wanted to do, along with the involment of an older Indy, his dad, like you see in the young indy episode Mystery of the Blues, and that you would see Indy's Son, chasing after the aliens which would probably tie into the lost civilization of atlantis....
  23. MadMardigan Force Ghost

star 4
    Indiana Jones and the Lost Sword of Excalibur

Wasn't on the poll but I like it nonetheless.
  24. Traders_Luck Jedi Knight

star 3
    everything sept Cockroaches and other assorted bugs (just dont care for them)and A(n) Infernal Machine (i played the game and it got a little too weird at the end)
  25. bedada3 Force Ghost

star 4
    I wish they would move away from the previous stories.
    Is it really necessary to have Sean Connery, or any of the other women, again?
    We already had 2 Biblical relics, the Ark and the Grail. Let's go for something else.

If Indy was born in 1899, he'd be 60 in 1959, and that's how old Ford is. Perhaps Indy and a whole band of younger achaeologists could do something to protect the people and culture of Tibet from the rising Red China.

Chinese Communists are probably the best "villans" for a circa-1060 setting.

Of course, if they prefer to rehash details from the previous movies, that's their choice.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.