main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What will the antagonist be in the Sword of the Jedi trilogy?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by millenniumfalcon2013, Oct 8, 2012.

1. millenniumfalcon2013

millenniumfalcon2013 Jedi Youngling

Sep 9, 2012
    I'm looking forward to the Sword of the Jedi trilogy by Christie Golden featuring the adventures of Jaina Solo-Fel and Jagged Fel which will come out sometime in 2013/2014. But I'm curious what the threat and antagonist be in SOTJ? Will it be the remnants of the Lost Tribe of the Sith or maybe another threat from the Unknown Regions or Wild Space? I'm hoping for the latter. But I'm fine with Jaina facing the LotS Remnants. Perhaps they're hiding somwhere in the UR,Wild Space or somwhere in the Outer Rim. Or maybe could it be the threat from Troy Denning's upcoming Big 3/Post-FOTJ epic novel Crucible? Will Crucible lead directly into Sword of the Jedi?

2. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    I dunno, hopefully not the Lost Tribe because the more they're involved the more stupid it is that they're not dealt with until LEGACY. It'd just make Jaina look ineffective, too, and we need this series to ground her as a credible hero.

So I dunno. Cleaning up after Crucible might feel a bit odd too - it might be better to be a standalone trilogy.

The title is obviously just a reference to Jaina's title, but I think it'd be good if it at least had some relevance to the series. There are two ways they could go with that - either a threat that Jaina goes out and dispatches, single-combat style, on behalf of the Order, or Jaina as a leader of the Jedi in general as they move forward. Generally I've always associated her title with the former, but with Luke apparently taking a more backseat role, I'm wondering if they'll play it as the latter instead. In which case, the specific villain may be less important than how Jaina chooses to deal with it.

Anyway, there's my speculation anyway.

Well, that or the vengeful return of Tilotny. I mean, Lumiya had her day, right?

instantdeath and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  3. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    I think there might be something to do with slavers and crimelords, given how Golden used them in Fate of the Jedi and her short story about Jaina and Jag's honeymoon, "Getaway."

4. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I've resigned myself to it being Sith...

5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I hope something like this happens, to tie up loose ends...

Daala, Treen, and Lecersen are on the run. Lecersen gets Treen and Daala to work with him to become the leaders of the Confederation (which still includes chunks of Hutt space, as well as the Corporate Sector, Eriadu, Corellia, Commenor, and other far-flung worlds).​

After those three take over the Confederation, the Lost Tribe remnants from Kesh ally with them to declare war on the Hapans in order to eliminate the Jedi. The Jedi are now based in Hapan space, under the protection of Tenel Ka, and the Sith still want to prevent the Jedi Queen vision.​

The GA stays neutral since the Jedi are now outsiders and it has its hands full with Coruscant and the new formerly-enslaved worlds joining them; and it's been discovered that the Jedi helped rig the election for Cal Omas all those years ago. The Imperials stay neutral too, since there's still bad blood with the Hapans from the Second Galactic Civil War. So it's just Hapes/Jedi versus Confederation/Kesh.​

Ben Skywalker uses his spy skils to investigate and help the slave rebellions against the Hutts and Corporate Sectory Authority (two major powers in the Confederation) while under-cover, weakening the Hutts/CSA so they can't contribue to the war, and forming new friendships with the rebels on these worlds. The Hutts and Corporate Sector are eventually forced to leave the Confederation.​

Jag Fel uses his diplomatic skills, and help from his Uncle Wedge Antilles (who finally sees his sister), to get Corellia to finally leave the Confederation.​

Jaina Fel is leading the charge against the Confederation/Sith invaders as the Sword of the Jedi, and gets back into a starfighter too. Jag works to heal the Imperial-Hapan rift, and gets back into a starfighter too, alongside his wife.​

Lando and Talon Karrde also help the Jedi and Hapans the best they can, feeling responsible now that the truth is know about the Cal Omas election.​

The Lost Tribe destroy Ship and strand Vestara, before she makes contact with the One Sith.​

Wyyrlok I helps aid the instability of the Confederation, so their Sith rivals are defeated (Krayt is back in hibernation). Daala, Treen, and Lecersen are not getting along too well. Especially now that the Corellians, Corporate Sector, and Hutts have abandoned them.​

Vestara is captured, reveals the location of Kesh, either out of despair or for redemption. Jaina Fel and Tenel Ka attack Kesh, Reige is finally persuaded by Jag and the Empire helps the Hapans/Jedi in the Battle of Kesh, crushing the Lost Tribe of the Sith for good. Boba Fett dies saving Daala, after she is betrayed by Lecersen and Treen. Daala sees she has become an agent of chaos, not of order, and dies in a partial redemption while killing Lecersen and Treen.​

The rest of the Confederation, basically Commenor (upset about the new revelation about Omas's election as well as the GA bombarding them with an asteroid) and Eriadu, finally dissolve what's left and become neutral/independent/devastated systems with no ambition. Jag Fel is back in favor with the Empire and the galaxy at large, but still independent. Jaina has become a real leader of the Jedi. Tenel Ka and Allana are safe. Vestara is captured by the Jedi, fate uncertain. Ben is maturing, developing his skills as a spy, and becoming an inspirational figure. The Jedi have secured their safety, the Lost Tribe remnants are homeless and on the run, and the Jedi have strengthened ties with the Empire. The Galactic Alliance continues to regain strength, but mostly off the page and away from the action, Wynn Dorvan is a leader in a time of peace and prosperity for the GA. Luke, Leia, and Han have been off in the Unknown Regions, dealing with the secretive Chiss for reasons they can't reveal, off-page this entire time.​

6. millenniumfalcon2013

Sep 9, 2012
    I love your ideas DarthGhost! I hope Crucible will be a Big 3 UR story or there will be one or two followup novels to Crucible about the Big 3 dealing with the Chiss in the UR.

7. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    You know, I love that all mostly because (a) Tenel Ka is doing fighting as well as Queening and (b) Boba Fett really IS dead this time. I dunno, I like the political lines you've drawn, but I think that for an eponymous novel, Jaina'd need more of an actual...moment of glory. I suppose by becoming the defacto Jedi leader?

Also, Daala murdering more people in a bizarre partial redemption is amusingly perfect for her in its incoherence. If only they'd give her back the eyepatch.

8. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Waru.

9. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    There were a bunch of red lightsaber wielders on the cover for the trilogy so i'm pretty sure it'll be Jaina living up to her title and doing some cleaning up of the Lost Tribe.

10. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Han is going to turn evil.

Gorefiend and MrNomAnor like this.
  11. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Miniature Sith, judging by the cover.

Valin__Kenobi and Zorrixor like this.
  12. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    He said antagonist, not savior.

Rew and MrNomAnor like this.
  13. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I don't know who the antagonist will be, but I am going to be bold and predict the victim will be the purchaser.

14. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Cyborg Vong Sith from beyond time.

15. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    The antaganist for Jaina and Jag?
    Marriage.

16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    If we're looking for a NEW threat instead of wrapping up old ones, I'd like to see either

1. Droid Rebellions (it's been begging to happen since ANH came out in '77, and maybe we'll finally see Threepio and Artoo as main characters again)

2. Force-plague (everyone in the galaxy is stripped of the Force for a few years, like the Vong were, including the Jedi and the Sith)

3. Mnggal-Mnggal (creepy and huge threat in the Unknown Regions)

4. Silentium & Abominor (two droid races, who devastated the Vong galaxy)

But yeah, it does seem like it will focus on the Lost Tribe and Vestara Khai. Considering the cover, and the fact that Christie Golden created them.

17. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Zombie Anakin Solo.

RC-1991, Cronal, Rew and 1 other person like this.
  18. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Zombie Darth Maul? We already know he can never die, and Luke has previously taken care of his brain. He'll be waning a new one about this time, no?

19. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    You forget the galaxy has just harmed Waru's beloved queen...

Even our saviour cannot be blamed for what will follow when his beloved Abby is hurt.

20. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I am now envisioning Waru singing a rendition of "One Winged Angel" with the more familiar chanted name replaced with "AB-EL-OTH!!!"

Cronal, Sinrebirth and Zorrixor like this.
  21. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
  22. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    "Envisioning" is definitely the right word there; though you can see it, you can not possibly imagine what such a thing would sound like. It is said Waru's singing voice gave birth to the galaxy.

Zorrixor likes this.
  23. millenniumfalcon2013

Sep 9, 2012
    I see two possibilities for the enemy:

1.A new threat from the Unknown Regions and Jaina and Jag team up with the Empire of the Hand to face this threat. That would make an awesome trilogy.

2.Vestari and Ship wind up in the UR and form a new armada of ships from various races in the UR and Wild Space. That would make for some cool space battles and since Jaina is an awesome starfighter pilot. She would lead the Galactic Alliance/Jedi fleet against the new enemy fleet. And perhaps face Vestari's new Empire on land using her lightsaber battles in some awesome duels and land conflicts.

24. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    I get the impression that Lost Tribe Remnants will be the go-to villains for the next few years. Either striking from the shadows on behalf of Kesh or going rogue and reviving the warlord-of-the-week days.

Can an entire trilogy be milked out of that? Easily, if the author is an FOTJ vet. Painfully dragging out plotlines over too many books is their stock in trade.

25. MrNomAnor

MrNomAnor Jedi Master

Sep 17, 2001
    I pray for Lord Cronal and/or the Sorcerers of Rhand.

cthugha and Cronal like this.