main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What will the critics think?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BobaBacca, Nov 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaBacca

BobaBacca Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 6, 2015
    Rotten Tomatoes average ratings based on critics reviews

8.9 The Empire Strikes Back
    8.5 Star Wars
    7.3 Revenge of the Sith
    7.1 Return of the Jedi
    6.6 Attack of the Clones
    6.0 The Phantom Menace

Personally I rate the 6 movies 1-6
    6-6-7-10-10-10 (fanedits I rate higher. especially the subtitled ones)

I predict 7.8-8.2 critics and 9 for my personal score

2. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Those Rotten Tomato numbers are not accurate to what critics of the day were saying for the OT though. ESB and ROTJ were not very highly rated by critics at the time of release.

B99, Vohnkar and Tommy-wan like this.
  3. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I think the critics will enjoy a return to the practical effects and real locations! Look at LOTRS compared to The Hobbit films - You just can't connect with cgi infested films! And neither can the poor actors! (Ian Mckellan crying anyone??) I already think the acting looks and feels better (Yeah I know - we haven't seen much) :cool:

I think this film will rate very well - But not outstanding! There will be plenty of critics to try and bring it down if everyone else likes it...

4. Tommy-wan

Tommy-wan Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 15, 2015
    The irony is those RT scores are based on SE releases, which obviously have more CGI than OOT.
    "Practical effects only" OOT wasn't as highly regarded as 1997 releases. (for different reasons though).
    Empire and ROTJ got "OK" critical reception at best, during their original releases. Do you know what some critics didn't like?
    Wooden dialogue, bad acting and over abundance of special effects. Sounds familiar?
    I think TFA will have 90%+ on RT, 8/10 average score.

JaporSnippet and Vohnkar like this.
  5. Scummy_and_Villainous

Scummy_and_Villainous Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2013

[​IMG]

6. Charlie07

Charlie07 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2015
    Best bet would be to look at the Star Trek 2009 reviews. Critics will see TFA as "Refreshing Star Wars after the Prequels" (not trying to prequel bash, a large number of the 2009 Star Trek reviews talked about JJ bringing something new and refreshing to Star Trek)

7. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    The RT scores are not based on SE releases only. There are a lot of original reviews in there. It's a mix. This myth that the OT's RT score is only based on SEs, and that ESB got trashed by critics, continues to be perpetuated here for some strange reason.

PymParticles and AndyLGR like this.
  8. Jason79

Jason79 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Who gives a crap what they think? Their job is to pick apart movies and be a total jerk about it.
    Most film critics thought the Godfather was an amazing masterpiece. I thought it sucked.

You wanna know some movies i loved that the critics hated?
    Labyrinth, Weekend at bernies 2, Temple of doom, Ghostbusters 2, Gremlins and hook to name a few.

If i liked all those when the rest of the world generally didn't then you can see how much i care about the critics opinions.

Pmonte58 and Seeher like this.
  9. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    This is the common misconception about critics. There's a difference between professional film critique and the broad entertainment value of a film. Cinema is entertainment, but it also one of the arts, and like all arts the critics are there to comment on the work from a technical and artistic standpoint, in the context of what has come before and where things are now. The vast majority of people will say a film is good if they found it entertaining, without necessarily giving too much thought to how good the photography or the sound design was. Good film critics are able to draw on their vast wealth of knowledge of film history and the film making process, in order to compare and highlight how good the technical and artistic aspects of a film are, regardless of the film's inherent entertainment value. Look at it like this; I wouldn't say a film like Citizen Kane was particularly good entertainment, but it is an extraordinary film on many levels. Similarly, there are plenty of films which I enjoy watching for their pure entertainment value, like Raiders of the Lost Ark, despite the fact that I know they aren't particularly great pieces of cinema.

10. Tommy-wan

Tommy-wan Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 15, 2015
    I didn't say they got trashed by critics. The general critical consensus wasn't 95% positive though. It was closer to 70% (as evidenced by those RT scores).
    No Star Wars movie was trashed by critics.

Vohnkar likes this.
  11. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

ESB wasn't trashed on release by any means, but it DID suffered a bit from being a middle chapter. Recognition of its brilliance really emerged after the release of ROTJ.

12. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I know I won't care what the critics think because that's how I roll. :p

Rabs, D'an and Pmonte58 like this.
  13. KnightOfRen

KnightOfRen Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    I think it will have something around 87%- 93% on Rotten Tomatoes!

JediLight and JabbatheHumanBeing like this.
  14. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    I took a look at the original reviews collected at RT, and dug around for a number of others. And though it's not a precise science, as in some cases I had to assign an RT score to an otherwise ambiguous review, it looks like the reviews for ESB hovered in the late 80%/early 90% range.

15. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Since they gave ROTS a higher rating than ROTJ I don't give a **** what they think

16. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Who cares?[face_phbbbbt]

KyloAwakens, CT-7447 and KnightOfRen like this.
  17. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    Judging from the reaction with SPECTRE, It will be mixed at best

Darth Haggai likes this.
  18. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    ROTJ had some great moments, but I thought ROTS was better.

CoruscantDweller, EviL_eLF and B99 like this.
  19. KnightOfRen

KnightOfRen Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    Wise words. If I had to make a list of movies I liked that critics hated, it would go on and on. It's best to judge a movie yourself and not by what other people say about it.

Pmonte58 and B99 like this.
  20. DashRender90

DashRender90 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 20, 2015
    90% RT, you heard it here first

21. magmd

magmd Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2003
    Because the trailers have received so much buzz and attention--they will likely hate it and say it was a huge let down.

22. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Judging from the reaction to a completely different movie, with different crews, directors, writers, actors, etc? In what dimension does this constitute logic?

23. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    "Star Wars is back!"

I bet we'll be reading that on more than one source.

Avnar likes this.
  24. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    ...because the same people that made SPECTRE made this film, right? How in the world does one have anything to do with the other?

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  25. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015
    "This is the Star Wars film you're looking for."

JediRocks74 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.