main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What will the critics think?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BobaBacca, Nov 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015
    But there's been no indication any of those films wouldn't screen for critics ahead of their release. I think that's why TFA made the headline. We also haven't had it confirmed that TFA won't either, for that matter, but it seems to be settling in as conventional wisdom that it won't.

2. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    Sorry, but that's simply not true.

Good or bad is a subjective term that leans on the eye of the beholder.

Much like Empire, On Her Majesty's Secret Service wasn't regarded well when it was released, now it's considered by many to be the best Bond film of them all. That movie has more flaws than Spectre in my opinion, so that can change.

There have been countless movies- countless I say- that deserved better reviews than what they got in the last decade, and the last 3 Star Wars films barely scratch the surface.

In fact, if film critics liked fun escapist pictures as you claim, then why is it that they've mostly had mixed opinions about Star Wars since the beginning?

Mike Klimo, famous for writing the Star Wars Ring Theory, recently showed this analysis on his page in Twitter, based on reviews written when the movies came out. And guess what?
    https://twitter.com/MikeKlimo/status/659427006174638080/photo/1

3. DashRender90

DashRender90 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 20, 2015
    Yeah, Star Wars was SO hated back in 1977 by critics and people who think highly about cinema. They must have nominated it for Best Picture and won several Oscars by accident, or maybe at gun point!

4. Jason79

Jason79 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Totally serious. The godfather bored me to tears. Weekend at bernies 2 had me giggling and smiling the whole way through! I just thought a reanimated dead guy that danced everytime music played was hillarious! Hey i like to laugh so sue me.:p

5. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I'm not as fond of The Godfather as everyone else is, but I think we (as in, many people that are currently alive) have lost the ability to critically engage with something. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it bad, and just because you do like something doesn't make it good. Enjoyment is totally subjective, but I think you can objectively look at the overall quality of a thing. In the case of a movie, the writing, the cinematography, the acting, the music, etc.

You may be bored by The Godfather, and it's certainly not one of my favorite movies, but I still recognize that it's a really well made film, perhaps one of the best ever committed to celluloid. It's just not one I particularly enjoy watching. On the other hand, I love Top Gun while simultaneously recognizing it's not a good movie, like, at all. Some movies you like might be great, some movies you like might be not-so-great. You might dislike some good movies, you might dislike some bad ones. But let's not break down critical thinking to, "I didn't like it, so it sucked." We're better than that.

Bennihana and Dewback like this.
  6. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Part of me hopes it gets panned just to see the classic "I don't care what critics think" rhetoric from those endlessly whining about critics' opinions.

7. Bennihana

Bennihana Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 22, 2014
    I think there is a difference from critical reception at release and cultural reception over time - ESB might have gotten a lower critical consensus than AotC did, but look at which one is considered better today. In general, Rotten Tomatoes and other sites like it are only really reliable when the scores are really low or really high. Movies with scores like 98% or 93% (Inside Out and Sicario) can pretty safely be called "good movies", but of course everyone has their preferences and might not enjoy them, but hopefully recognize that it's a well-made film.

Also Top Gun is a great film what are you smoking?? :p

C Creepio and Xinau like this.
  8. C Creepio

C Creepio Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 1999
    Top Secret! is better than Top Gun but both are bad movies. Not MST3K level bad, but not great films. Pure entertainment for both through!

9. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    Even with JJ at the helm, I think TFA would be very fortunate if it was "Certified Fresh" on Rotten Tomatoes by December 18.

Although, ROTS is currently certified fresh at 79%...so very fortunate may not be the term to use here.

10. darthtimetraveller

darthtimetraveller Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2015
    JJ Abrams, you raped my childhood lol......and that's coming from PT fans LOL!

11. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Mike Klimo uncovered that the original reviews of the OT, had RT.com existed at that time would have had slightly lower tomatometer percentages overall compared the original reviews of the PT movies.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

EviL_eLF and darthtimetraveller like this.
  12. OBIWANARNO

OBIWANARNO Jedi Master star 1

Dec 8, 2003
    I simply do not care what the critics think about the film. Some critics believe all films have to have everything perfect (and maybe even Oscar worthy) for it to be successful. As long as it is entertaining and does not contradict the ending of Return of the Jedi I'll be happy. I have often been of a different opinion than the majority of critics. In fact I think one of the few times I have agreed with the majority of critics is The Lord of the Rings trilogy. I have enjoyed all the Star Wars films so far (some more than others obviously) and I'm sure Force Awakens will be no different.

13. Evetssteve10

Evetssteve10 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 21, 2015
    JJ is so underrated on these boards. If anyone doubts the level of skill and competence of JJ just watch the 2 hour pilot of LOST - probably the best pilot ever on TV. It's ridiculously good - and he has shown to be getting better as he goes along. The ONLY possible misstep he's ever really had was Into Darkness, which was still a good movie , but he's not emotionally invested in ST like he is with SW

14. HGST

HGST Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 25, 2015

Agreed.

I've seen people here compare him to Michael Bay.

MICHAEL BAY.

Is JJ Spielberg? No. But he sure as hell isn't Michael freaking Bay LOL.

15. Evetssteve10

Evetssteve10 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 21, 2015

LOL wow I can't believe you've actually seen people compare him to Bay. JJ is one of the most talented and dedicated writers and directors out there. I am pretty much guaranteeing TFA will be a very good movie - this guy is loaded with talent and work ethic.

PymParticles and EviL_eLF like this.
  16. darthtimetraveller

darthtimetraveller Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2015

I have to agree, and despite the hate, the really liked Star Trek 2009, it is the second best in the series after the original Wrath of Khan.

KyloAwakens likes this.
  17. HGST

HGST Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 25, 2015

It's true. Generally have been posters that consider themselves "knowledgeable" about such things.

Bay is just so completely superficial, it's really a laughable comparison that is completely disconnected from reality IMO.

And regarding work ethic, dude looks SO TIRED in everything I've seen him in recently. Whatever you think about his movies you have to agree the guy busts his *** and puts everything into what he does.

18. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    I'm not sure how the critics will react to the derivative storyline/imagery. Will they be more hard on it or will they shrug it off, saying "ehh, it's Star Wars".

19. Bran Kenobi

Bran Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    Critics will be divided. Some will praise JJ for following OT nostalgia... Others will say he ripped off ANH and renamed planets/characters. Just my take as of now.

20. TimeZone

TimeZone Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 29, 2015
    72% on RT is my prediction.

21. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    It'll be one of the higher rated movies in the series. Quote me.

If the Star Trek movies got high ratings this will DEFINITELY get high ratings. Like him or not Abrams was tailored made for this type of movie and the production team he's got helping him will only take it higher from there.

22. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
    Traditionally all the movies have been kinda panned by most critics. This one will probably be gushed over because it took them almost 40 years but they're finally catching on.

23. tokilamockingbrd

tokilamockingbrd Jedi Knight star 4

May 12, 2015
    the movie is going to review solid at worst. Which means 75% RT us kinda my baseline for the movie. I seriously feel JJ is going nail it. My hope is 90% + with only haters(and click baters) keeping it from perfection.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  24. Primordial Dragon

Primordial Dragon Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 12, 2015
    Based on the reviews from his Star Trek movies which are extremely high and considering that JJ loves Star Wars a lot more than Star Trek,I suspect this movie minimum critical rating will be 80% on RT and 70% on Meta Critic .Hopefully it's critical rating is as good as JJ's first Star Trek.

25. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Understood. But it is a persistent myth here that ESB got a lower critical reception than AOTC. It's simply not true. That "Mike Klimo" article people keep referencing is missing a number of prominent reviews, while over-drawing reviews of the OT from local papers across the country (which is something RT simply doesn't do).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.