main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT What will this new ST Generation think of the Prequels?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by gambit420, May 3, 2014.

1. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

[​IMG]

2. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Which OT? There were 3 different takes overall and as you said he's hardly likely to want to make the movies look as small as the OT movies look now in comparision to the PT.

That is what the new generation expect not something that is visually less spectacular than the PT or Clone Wars.

It's going to feel more like the OT because it will have those characters and they'll be in a different age under different circumstances.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  3. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    If Abrams' intent is to make EPS7 more like the OT, then I have no interest in it. I'm not interested in some director trying to "recapture the glory" of the past. I want something new and different. That is why I have great respect with how Lucas handled the PT. He didn't repeat himself. And right now, it seems the only way Abrams can be truly creative is when he creates a new television show.

The "Skye fiasco"? Wow. You must be one of the very few television viewers who now dislike Skye, because she is no longer unpopular.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    And I'm supposed to care whether she is "unpopular"...why exactly?

TX-20 and kubricklynch like this.
  5. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Popularity isn't a measure of merit worth much.

6. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

No. But I did find your comment amusing.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    What's even more amusing is the idea that anyone of a certain age or with an ounce of dignity or self-worth is supposed to let his or her opinion be swayed one iota by what "the majority" or some random group of "other people" think. Especially the random group of "television viewers." [face_rofl]

TX-20, kubricklynch and gambit420 like this.
  8. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    The scope of the OT isn't small to everyone that's down to perception as is almost everything in SW. I simply hope most of us can derive some degree of enjoyment from the ST regardless which trilogy we saw first or prefer.

9. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    No, I meant whine about nothing, meaning what we're whining about has no real point other than to create contention with one another. :p

10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Eh. I could see it going either way.

11. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I think that the new generation of ST fans will enjoy the wealth of PT canon. To be fair there's a lot more PT era canon than there is OT. I'm sure Rebels will be referencing a fair few PT characters, and extending their storylines. Whether so much PT era material will dilute a new fans enjoyment will vary from fan to fan, but what I'm more certain of, is that any PT bashing by the media would hold very little influence.

One thing I've thought about (note my maths might be off give or take a few years) is that ROTS ended circa 19 BBY. ROTJ ended circa 4 ABY. And the ST will begin 30 or so years after this. This means roughly 63 years have elapsed since the end of the PT. Droids and Wookies age differently to humans, and will be a link back, but other than that, who do the new generation of fans have a strong emotional link with in the PT - I'm guessing not many.

TX-20 and Cushing's Admirer like this.
  12. TheChosenSolo

Dec 9, 2011
    I think that it's prudent not to make the mistake that the EU did: keeping the Big 3 around for too long and not stressing the younger generations. I'm picking greatly on how after Anakin was born, Luke had a vision of Anakin and the twins leading a new generation of Jedi. When did we ever see that coming to pass? The best thing for the ST to do would be to bring in a new generation of characters, and keep them as the main characters, leaving the Big 3 in important background role, sure, but a background nonetheless. We can't keep them forever.

Big_Benn_Klingon likes this.
  13. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Edge of Victory 1 Conquest.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  14. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    The Big 3 are what SW is for many. They are the anchor, the draw. Remove it and it's very likely many fans will simply leave. However, it has been the case that youth rules in SW since the beginning. I think it's a mistake that needs correcting. The galaxy is not solely composed of 0-30s. Youth don't always need to lead. I say youth need to have teachers so they gain wisdom not show up their elders which is done entirely too much in SW and entertainment in general. Restore balance: have a decent range of youth and aging characters for once.

15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    This! The OT Big 3 help define what SW is to me. I know the OT Big 3 won't have as extensive roles as they did in the OT but their roles need to be worthy for them to be in it. Please no Dooku in ROTS length. Longer please! If we are to pass the torch on to the ST generation the OT generation needs enough coverage to make the passing of the torch worth it.

Andy Wylde and Cushing's Admirer like this.
  16. TheChosenSolo

Dec 9, 2011
    See, that point is one of the reasons that I like the NJO, Force Smuggler. It was set up so that the younger Jedi started playing a more active role. They backslid from that into LotF and FotJ. Nor am I saying that the Big 3 only deserve 5 minutes of screen time apiece. I recognize the crucial role they play in Star Wars as a whole. I think the ideal would be how they were portrayed in YJK: Leia as Chief of State, Luke in a teaching role at the Jedi Praxeum, etc.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Aside from SBS where a bunch of the next generation all died. The ST generation should be the stars but the OT generation need their time to shine as well. A happy medium is needed. For that reason plus with how good the Vong were as villains the NJO is my benchmark for all STesque continuations. Going to be interesting how things played out. Obi-Wan, Yoda, Anakin and Palpatine all had good sized rolls in the OT from the PT (as messed up as the creation order was) so there is no excuse to not have the Big 3 doing stuff. One last hurrah movie is all I need. Luke will live to Episode 9 but after not seeing the Big 3 since ROTJ one last adventure would be nice.

18. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    New and Different does not exist in the "Skywalker Saga". You'll have to wait for the spin-offs.

19. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    The first of which will be penned by someone who's on record as having no love for the PT

20. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm certain that the ST will be different from the OT and will tie in PT concepts. Honestly give me a great adventure, a villain I can believe in, an engaging ST generation, and a heartwarming send-off for the OT generation. Also keep it simple. Complexness will happen but keep it simple at first. A nice medium between the OT and PT would be nice.

Jo Lucas, Big_Benn_Klingon and Gamiel like this.
  21. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014
    Honestly, I think Abrams would be making a mistake if he tries to "get away from" the PT. Regardless of the quality of any of the movies--I personally think both OT and PT have flaws, but love 'em both anyways--I think the hate against the prequels has been overhyped to the point where it clouds the number of fans, especially younger ones, who actually do like it. I first got into Star Wars because some of my friends were always talking about how much they loved the prequels and TCW. On the parts of the Internet that tend to be inhabited by under-30s (Tumblr, fanfiction.net, etc), not to mention my RL experience with younger (high-school and college-age, mainly female) SW fans like my friends, I see more far more liking and positive discussion of the PT than hate. So I think Disney's been making a mistake, marketing-wise, by focusing more on the OT than the PT (cancelling TCW in favor of Rebels, for example. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for Rebels, but couldn't it have come after the next two seasons of TCW which were already entirely written?).

A few people have said they hope Abrams brings the *spirit* of the OT with the visual effects of the PT. I think the ST actually will need to mirror the OT's themes more than the PT--not because one is better than the other, but because the PT was telling the story of a *downfall*, mostly meaningful only with a full understanding of the OT as well. But to be honest? I don't really trust him to do that, even under the assumption that it's desirable. Just looking at how he's handled Star Trek, I worry that we'll get a generic blockbuster movie with plenty of superficial references to keep the old fans happy, but no real creative re-imagining of the themes that made both the OT and PT Star Wars. I'll definitely give the new movies a chance, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

So as to the question of the original thread: what will the ST generation think of the prequels? Here are the outcomes I think are most likely:
    1). The ST is amazing. It's everything people were hoping for--creating engaging new characters while using the OT actors to tie back to the previous movies in meaningful ways. It's fun. There's action, but it's not all action. The worldbuilding is fascinating. And so on. In this case, the ST generation probably goes back and re-watches all of the old movies, OT and PT. They aren't going to be bothered by the overuse of special effects in the PT because that's what they're used to. Like most younger SW fans I know, they'll appreciate both of the older trilogies but also laugh at the cheesy dialogue and so on. However, I do think it's possible that the pop-culture representation of the PT as completely terrible might influence some of their opinions about it.
    2). The ST is something of a generic blockbuster with little real emotional depth. The only thing that makes it seem like a Star Wars movie is the presence of the classic actors and some cheap references. It may well be a good movie as a standalone, and develops a fanbase of which part doesn't care about either the OT or PT, and part goes back and gets into the older movies with about the same breakdown of PT/OT/both fans as we see in the SW fandom today.

Of course, there's always the possibility that the new movies will flop entirely, but I don't think that's very likely. But if so, younger people might be put off Star Wars as a whole, as they've mostly only heard negative things about the past six movies. That would be disappointing for everyone, I think.

22. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    Good post, skygawker. I have to say that I almost completely agree with your views. Maybe I just have a bit more trust in Abrams to pull it off, no matter how unreasonable that trust is. Just a gut feeling :)

23. HanWookie95

HanWookie95 Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2014

As for the ST 'recapturing the glory' of the OT, I don't think they are going for that. Sure there is Han, Luke, and Leia, but Abrams has pretty much stated that the next generation of Skywalkers or Solo's will be the lead for Episode 8 & 9 and Episode 7 is a passing of the torch to the new generation. I just find it funny that you are already jumping the gun despite the fact that you haven't seen the movie yet????

The beauty of the ST (which is the reason I always wanted it over the PT back in the 80's) was that they can take the story anywhere. The PT story was pretty much locked in, and it wasn't Lucas's fault, but he got painted in a box with certain plot points. The ST story and characters can go anywhere, so there is a bit of suspense for each new movie. Who knows, maybe Daisy Ridley (Supposedly Han/Leia's daughter) will be the star of the ST, and we will get a female character arc to go with the Anakin arc of the PT and Luke arc of the OT? Maybe one of the Solo kids will turn to the darkside? How will Luke, Leia, and Han die, or will they live throughout the trilogy? Who is the new villain?

There is so much great stuff they can do in the ST, and its great that we can speculate on what may happen rather then with the PT on just HOW it would happens since we knew how everything would play out. I would say to you, sit back and enjoy the ride, and if it stinks, then you have the 1-6 movies, but you sound like the PT bashers already looking at the glass half empty towards the ST.

24. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I hope the new Disney star wars movies do very well, I hope all the children n teenagers who seee the new Star Wars fall in love with the new characters, buy all related action figures n say the disney trilogy is the best trilogy of all time

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I liked those long-ass political scenes:(