main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT What will this new ST Generation think of the Prequels?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by gambit420, May 3, 2014.

1. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    From what I've observed, most of the ST generation (which I consider to be, say, people under 15) view the PT and the OT the same.

2. Darth Bradius

Darth Bradius Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 27, 2014
    I think the newer generations of Star Wars fans like the PT a lot. I have 4 younger brothers with me being about 5 years older than the oldest one, they're all fans and think of the Phantom Menace specifically as a classic.

3. Darth Bradius

Apr 27, 2014
    They're really a different type of tone than the originals and I'm glad for that. Phantom Menace almost feels like the Wizard of Oz in some ways. Padme is Dorothy, just trying to get home, Jar Jar is like the Scarecrow and Lion mixed into one character in that he's clumsy and convinced he's just a screwup, but in the end he finds his courage and helps win the day. I don't think there's an analog for Qui-Gon but he's awesome so whatever. Anakin is Toto, lol.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My sons fell asleep during The Phantom Menace.

My oldest really liked the Mustafar fight scene in Revenge of the Sith though.

I don't think the generation born after 2000 is likely to get into "this trilogy is better than that trilogy" arguments but they're going to have their favorite films of the saga just like the rest of us, and it's more a matter of taste than age. There are plenty of people my age who like the serious tone of the PT better, and plenty of people who are in their 20s and therefore kids when the PT came out, who prefer the more fun tone of the OT.

I definitely don't see the PT having a different tone from the OT as a good thing. A lot of fan division could have been avoided by having both trilogies with the same tone. As it is, Lucas made a trilogy with a completely different tone, called it Star Wars, and then complained when people got upset.

So as far as the "ST generation", it depends on what tone the ST emulates. I am afraid that we may hear a lot of "Disney is pissing all over the PT" comments if it emulates the fun tone of the OT.

And today's kids who were not part of the trilogy wars beginning over a decade ago, will just decide whether they like the movies or not.

5. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    It's already started. Some people are hyping themselves up to the movie blowing past Avengers quickly and making 2B.

They are setting themselves up for a terrible fall if they think these will be anything other than huge hit movies that all the other Star Wars films have been except for the first. That was a phenomenon! As big as Avengers was it was just that a massive hit movie that in today's media get swallowed up by the next thing coming. Back in 1977 there was no next thing until the next movie came 3 years later. People tried but it didn't happen.

Could be but the first one might get past that because people will convince themselves it should be that way. That said look how quickly things turned for The Matrix and Star Trek.

One wonders if those people who seem to hate the last 4 films or can only stand one or two of them a bit and are forever trapped in 1980 will think of this one?

I just don't see how it can match up. On top of that anyone who thinks that this new movie is going to totally ignore the PT era and somehow visually go back to 1980 is only fooling themselves. Whatever was visually done before is only going to be topped. I find it nigh impossible to believe that JJ is just going to say "Let's make the films less visually rich. No I don't want that it looks too good."

6. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I don't imagine he'll go back to film making, 1970's style and completely ignore the new technologies available to him. It may well be that he'll choose to use those technologies with a degree of discretion, hence creating an aesthetic which connects to some degree with that of the OT. What constitutes visual richness and looking good isn't necessarily a function of how advanced the technology is.

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Also, while there were some complaints about overdone CGI, I think the majority of the complaints about the prequels had nothing to do with the technology.

TX-20, TOSCHESTATION and MOC Yak Face like this.
  8. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I don't agree that the OT is more fun or simpler or b/w as so many claim around here. I prefer it because for me it's done better. It's the PT I can't take seriously. I hope the ST generation heal some of the gulfs because most divisions are fan-made. Different tastes and perceptions don't have to result in endless fighting about nothing. I hope the STers like what they like and don't get some of the heat us older fans have given each other. Differences don't have to equal 'wrong'.

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

He didn't go back to 60's style tech with "Star Trek" and "Star Trek: Into Darkness". My guess is that he'll use the Trek films as a guideline for what he's doing here.

VMeran, Andy Wylde and MOC Yak Face like this.
  10. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    My hope is that he'll use the technology available to enhance the telling of the story to the best effect, rather than set out to tell the story in a way which showcases the latest and greatest in technology.

11. Padmes_love_slave24

Padmes_love_slave24 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 24, 2003
    To me the PT era is done and I enjoyed every second of it. I am done fighting people who are devoid of any of THEIR OWN opinion and I refuse to engage in debates with people who can only regurgitate points made RLM or any other idiotic media outlet. The media will make sure to shove down people's throats their views of the prequels and it make seem as gospel and will do their best to ridicule anyone who dares have a different opinion. Also these are the same types who insist that ROTJ is the weakest of the OT and we all must have the same carbon copy generic view of all the films with the same generic ratings. I never have and never be influenced by reviews or MTV telling me what I should listen to or watch, when I determine what I enjoy and when I deem it is good it is gospel to me. I am not out to change anyone's mind because frankly I don't need the validation of someone's else's opinion. In the age of social networks such as Facebook, twitter, etc opinion's are shoved down people's throats within nanoseconds. As long as the douche bag's still have their forum's, when they write their reviews of the new movies and they spend more than half the review bashing the prequels I doubt much will change.

12. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    Although the various elements of the internet are often blamed for brainwashing individuals with what is portrayed as mass opinion, I think in some ways it actually has the reverse effect. I find that the ability to associate with a niche market, or a minority opinion is greater now, in the world of social media etc, than it was back in the days when you had to wait for the local paper to publish a film review before you could get an 'offiicial' opinion on it. I think we underestimate the 'ST generation' if we think they are going to view the PT based on what some people may describe as the weight of opinion. I think most of them will watch it and decide for themselves.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Agreed. It's also quite possible, even likely, to simultaneously love ROTJ, hate RLM's reviews, and think the OT movies were generally superior.

TOSCHESTATION and MOC Yak Face like this.
  14. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    I'm actually holding out the hope that the ST will be the bridge that brings the two parties to reconciliation. Am I naïve for that?

VMeran, Andy Wylde and thejeditraitor like this.
  15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The ST will be just as controversial as the PT is. I can feel it. Fan reaction? No idea.

16. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    @ Anakin Solo Revanchist: I don't think you are. It's my desire as well. The divisions are wearying and rather pointless. Yet, I highly doubt anyone will consider any of the trilogies 'the same'. They are so different in tone visually and effects-wise and for the story they tell but not in complexity for me.

rdhight and thejeditraitor like this.
  17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Hopefully the differences of the 3 trilogies will lessen tensions but with Disney running things, JJ Abrams directing, less Lucas influence etc I'm not confident on that.

18. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    I suspect that having Disney / JJ at the helm will take a bit of the emotion out of the reception. If people don't like it, I suspect they might just shrug and move on to the next thing this time round.

Samnz and TOSCHESTATION like this.
  19. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    Right now I think the old fans are feeling optimistic that Abrams will basically make a sequel only to the movies they like, while PT fans are worried that prequel stuff like the Rule of Two, Chosen One, prophecy, Plagueis etc. is about to suffer for the good of OT glorification. Hopefully, when we see more of the ST and it's not a retro 1970s muppet-party, we'll start feeling more conciliatory.

20. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    I could be wrong...

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  21. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I think we ought to leave all the divisions behind and just accept the Mouse is going to do what it chooses. There is not need for a fight between camps. Tastes differ, why is that bad? We're all assuming here no one knows anything yet. As I said I have no expectations for the ST except one that I hope I'm wrong on. I learned my lesson with the PT. I think perception is going to be polarised yet again just as it was in '99. Yet, I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

22. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    Not that there's anything wrong with that.....[face_shame_on_you]

"bork bork bork"

23. Darth Bradius

Apr 27, 2014
    Perception is a funny thing. Not trying to name drop here, so I won't drop the name, but I have a friend who is one of the legends in comic book art and writing, so he's an older guy, and man, one time we got into an argument about ESB that got a little too heated. Maybe it was the spicy Mexican food, but he is not a fan of ESB and he never has been. I think he was in his 30's when ESB came out and to this day he considers it a failure. Of course, I don't agree with him, but his opinion means something to me and I can only see his point in that ESB doesn't have a traditional movie ending. But I would argue, as I did over enchiladas, that it has a very strong thematic ending where Luke is concerned. Perception can make two people see two completely different things.

VMeran likes this.
  24. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    Your friend would get on well with Joss Whedon.

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  25. Darth Bradius

Apr 27, 2014
    Whedon's not a fan!? As if I needed more reason to dislike him.

Gamma626 likes this.