main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What would ANH be like if it were made with todays technology?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Luke_Skystalker, Oct 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeSolo

MikeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    Gushers n Basher fight hahahahah so funny. It would look great blah blah it would suck blah blah... hey least you guys are consistent :p

2. The_Hemperor

The_Hemperor Jedi Youngling

Oct 16, 2004
    >Right. Because a giant walking carpet isn't bizarre at all. Nor a trashcan on wheels, while we're at it.

I have a trashcan on wheels outside my house. Its called a wheelie bin. And Chewbacca didn't go around stepping in crap and reinforcing racist stereotypes. He aslo existed in time and space unlike CG. CG is all well and good but having a CG main character, well CG is no where near advanced to pull that off.

I feel if ANH was made with todays technology and none of the constraints of budget Lucas had in '77 it would resemble AOTC. Pure CG fest with story and characters suffering significantly.

But thats just my opinion, of which I feel I am entitled too without some random person quoting my posts with eye rolling and sighing as if their opinion is the one true faith.

Muuuh.

3. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    "But thats just my opinion, of which I feel I am entitled too without some random person quoting my posts with eye rolling and sighing as if their opinion is the one true faith."

You are. Or rather, you should be. I hope everyone keeps that always in mind. (Hope dies last)

Jar Jar wasn't 100% CG in TPM and CG characters are believable (well, Jar Jar, Watto, Yoda, the Clonetroopers, the Kaminoans, Poggle, Gollum and Treebeard are - Dobbie, a few LotR creatures and most machines (I, Robot, Matrix) aren't). However, that's point of view.

rats, I'm off-topic! It's not "CG vs. puppets", it's "What would ANH be like if it were made with todays technology?" - quite different and a more entertaining question :)

I'm sorry

4. The_Hemperor

The_Hemperor Jedi Youngling

Oct 16, 2004
    Well on the main topic I could easilly see them having Chewbacca as CG instead of a suit man. I wasn't convinced by Jar Jar and the CG Yoda was particularly atrocious, the Clone Troopers on the other hand were alot more convincing. My point is that CG characters are a lot less convincing to my mind than CG enviromnets (which can border on photorealistic) and to a lesser extent vehicles.

On the AOTC DVD they were saying how Lucas was going to have live clone troopers but after seeing CG Yoda said that the crew may as well build them from computer.
    Which leads to the question, would the Stormtroopers of the OT be CG if made with todays technology? I think they would be.

5. Manchester_City-X

Manchester_City-X Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2004
    The lightsabre duel between obi-wan and vader would be faster and more intense. They would do flips and wouldn't fight like cardboard cut outs.

I was actually in favour of this fight being partially CG'd.

6. Tester

Tester Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 29, 2004
    It would be a lot like TPM.

Look at the scenes that have been retouched for the DVD and that is what you would see throughout the movie.

7. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    *pulls out tiny violin*

You forgot this, Devilanse.

I'm a rocker...I don't play the fiddle.

I was actually in favour of this fight being partially CG'd.

Blasphemer!!!!

8. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    If it were made today, it would be ruined.

9. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    It would turn out very much like the PT. Take that as you will.

That's a good answer.

10. Lord-Vegas

Lord-Vegas Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 8, 2003
    People have commented about the battles being larger ie Endor, Hoth, DS etc.. There's nothing to stop Lucas doing this now with the OT. He's got CGI he could add more ships/AT AT's/Troops/Fighters and insert extra scenes making these larger scaled battles.

I dont think you could replace Ford/Hamill/Fisher/Guiness without having the same chemistry as the OT has.

11. Sanctuary_Moon

Sanctuary_Moon Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2004
    Bigger ain't always better.[face_mischief]

I find the Hoth battle much more satisfying than the Geonosis battle, for example. Maybe because it somehow seems more human (that's not the best description I know! Can't think of a better one right now). In Geonosis, so much is going on that it's exhausting. Some would say this is a good thing, some not.

I did like the redone Death Star battle for ANH:SE because it was one of the subtler SE changes that didn't jump straight out at you and remind you it was added in the 90s. Of course, Lucas could have had thousands of X-wings all over the screen but again, I feel that you can overdo these things.

12. Fingolfin_Noldor

Fingolfin_Noldor Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 2004
    What I would really have wanted.

George Lucas redoing the space battle at the Battle of Endor. Inserting more capital ship to capital ship action. More Starfighter dogfights, starfighter assaults on capital ships. Capital ships actually being blown up or heavily damaged.

Now that would be what I really wanted.

13. Jedi_Solo

Jedi_Solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 27, 2002
    "<shudder> especially if you mean with the lucas of today"

Dude you took the words right out of my mouth.

14. Star_Wars_Freak_2006

Star_Wars_Freak_2006 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2004
    A lot better, that's what.

15. MILK-HANDS

MILK-HANDS Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2004
    But thats just my opinion, of which I feel I am entitled too without some random person quoting my posts with eye rolling and sighing as if their opinion is the one true faith.

Actually, you're not entitled to not have your quotes used for a rebuttal. You are entitled to have your opinion without being subject to personal attack for said opinion. Which is more than you provided for me.

Your quote specifically referred to "bizarre". I fail to see why a giant walking carpet is less bizarre than a giant amphibion.

16. TwiLekSith

TwiLekSith Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 27, 2002
    But there is a difference between "eye rolling and sighing as if their opinion is the one true faith" and a rebuttal.

17. MILK-HANDS

MILK-HANDS Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2004
    I really don't see why adding a particular emoticon is a sign of a personal attack. If it was, why even have them available?

And so that's unacceptable, but a personal attack against me is a-okay?

EDIT: Also, where did I ever say that my opinion is the one true faith? I hate when people say "how can you be a Star Wars fan..." But that doesn't mean I'll stand for this hypocrisy over what is real and what isn't. There is this obsession over the physicality of the puppets that makes absolutely no sense.

18. TwiLekSith

TwiLekSith Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 27, 2002
    What I said goes for both sides, of course. I'm sorry if I looked like I defended someone. I was just agreeing on the principles. Both sides are always capable of doing the wrong thing. No reply in that direction was really okay.
    I'm not singling you out. If I would, I'd PM you, because it wouldn't be appropriate to do this in the open. What I post in threads goes to everyone, that's why I post them in threads. People need these reminders.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.