main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What would be the best alternate ending of Return Of The Jedi

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by OrriaSolo, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OrriaSolo

OrriaSolo Jedi Youngling

Aug 26, 2007
    If your could re write the end of ROTJ what would it contain?

2. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    You mean I can't re-write the musical scenes at Jabbas Palace?

3. OrriaSolo

OrriaSolo Jedi Youngling

Aug 26, 2007
    Funny thing is is that i kind of liked those songs. It was the same deal as with the cantina scenes. It was upbeat music to COMPLEATLY contrast the tension in the scene. GENIOUS

4. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Actually, I just finished an alternate Episode VI screenplay, but as your thread demands the larger narrative be unaltered, I say eliminate the Yoda/Obi-Wan/Anakin triumvirate and replace it with the solitary figure of Anakin, who is crouched in sorrow on a branch high near the treetops--the implication being that while he is redeemed, he will have to live with his sins for eternity. A sort of Jacob Marley of the SW universe.

I mean, this fella has a lot to answer for.

On edit: Also, I'd replace his dying words "Tell your sister, you were right..." with "Tell your sister, I'm sorry...".

5. OrriaSolo

OrriaSolo Jedi Youngling

Aug 26, 2007
    i understand but i kind of think that now that he has been turned to the light side he is sort of redeemed

6. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I don't think I'd alter the ending at all, other than have Anakin appear as an older man again rather than as the young Hayden.

7. OrriaSolo

OrriaSolo Jedi Youngling

Aug 26, 2007
    AhHa. I love it when people say that. The older Anakin was there but after I, II, and III came out they replaced Old Ani with new Ani. Hehe, i kinda love correcting people.

8. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Oh I know, I just think an older Anakin works better. I don't think it needs to be Shaw specifically either, Hayden in aging make-up would work fine as well.

9. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    My deviation still allows for redemption. Anakin escapes whatever fate awaited Maul, Dooku, and Palpatine, yet just as important, his melancholia marks his return to the moral sphere. Luke counted, sure. But so did the younglings. And his wife. And the Alderaanians.

I prefer my endings bittersweet. Let Anakin shed a few tears and howl at the moon (oh wait, they were on the forest moon, weren't they?).

10. morpha2

morpha2 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Vader doesn't betray the Emperor. Luke destroys them both. Ergo, Luke was actually the chosen one all along. Then Yoda's "a prophecy that misread could have been" from Ep.III makes a little more sense.

11. SithMaster_69

SithMaster_69 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2007
    Well, for me: Anakin lives.

Vader says his last words to Luke, then slumps. He's silent, We see Luke lower his head. Later,We see Luke burn the Vader suit, then the celebrations..the screen goes dark...then cut to tattoine.

We see the familiar Lars homestead. Luke is therewith R2...walking up to the home. As he does so, out of the home walks a figure...its Anakin. He has an different suit or maybe NO suit. Maybe just a small breathing regulator or something. Just not the extyensive cumbersome suit.He has been slowly healing the damage by either the improved med technology(hey, with Luke's connections I'm sure he could sneak some good stuff to his Pop), or, by using the Force. With him are the Force ghosts of OB1 & Yoda they have ben teaching & helping him. He sees Luke. They smile, & he embraces his son. They then stand together & watch one of those beautiful double sunsets..end of story.

To me , this makes his redemption more important because now he has a chance to do the right things, to fully live up to the potential good he had. He gets to use his second chance. It would be interesting to see how he used it.

12. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    What doesn't make sense about the mere possibility of misreading a prophecy?

Yoda says the prophecy may have been misread. That doesn't mean it was misread. And in fact ROTJ shows that it was not misread.

13. morpha2

morpha2 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2005
    I didn't say it didn't make sense in the first place, only that this possible alternate ending would make a "little more sense." Yeesh.

14. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    No Emperor. Luke confronts Vader and wins, becoming a Jedi like his father. GL then makes sure everyone is paid well enough that they want to do EP 7,8, and 9 where Luke finally confronts the Emperor.

15. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    I could live with that. :p

16. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    That could work, but what of the dynamics? Does Luke enter that Throne Room with a desire to redeem his father, or does he want to take revenge (for Padme, Leia, etc.)?

17. DarthMatter

DarthMatter Jedi Master star 3

Jul 12, 2004
    That's a pretty nice ending, SithMaster_69 :_|

18. JediPrimePA

JediPrimePA Jedi Youngling

Aug 29, 2007
    Ya, didn't like the fact they replaced the older Anakin at the end. After all, they didn't replace Obi Wan to look younger for that scene. It works better the original way it was filmed. As for an alternate ending....hmmmm.... maybe having Luke back at the home of his Aunt and Uncle and seeing where it all began. Thus making the circle complete.

19. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    For the alternate ending to make a little more sense, there would have to be something that didn't completely make sense about the Ep.III scene. IMO the ROTS scene made complete sense, it's just funny that some viewers thought it meant the prophecy was officially misread.

20. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I think the only thing I'd change is somehow making Piett survive.

21. rpvee

rpvee Jedi Master star 3

Feb 23, 2007
    There's already a write/re-write contest...

22. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    Rpvee is right. I've heard rumors about a CT Scene Write/Rewrite Contest hosted by some guy named 'Bac'. I hear he's kind of a nutcase, but that it's a really great game all the same. You should confirm this rumor for me and go check it out and play the game!

23. Nichtganz

Nichtganz Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 23, 2007

heres a short simple list.

1. Boba Fett having an honorable death.
    2. Stormtroopers killing lots of Ewoks.
    3. Smart stormtroopers.
    4. More SFX.
    5. SSD survies rather than being destroyed by a one-man fighter.

24. SLASHAXL

SLASHAXL Jedi Master star 2

Dec 25, 2005
    I would have liked to see Vader eventually defeat Luke after a tight duel, but hesitate to kill him. Then as the Emperor screams at him to finish him, Vader turns around and slices the Emperor in Half. He could still get fried by some lightning and die.

But overall i think the end of ROTJ is better. The one thing i would remove from the film is EWOKs. IMO they have way to much screen time, and take away from the film a bit.

25. Wookiee_Vader

Wookiee_Vader Jedi Master star 2

Aug 21, 2007
    Everyone is in the shield bunker about to place the charges:

*Imperial officer appears and says whatever he says, Han throws bag of charges at him, imperial gets knocked over that balcony but lo and behold, THE CHARGES GO WITH HIM!*

Han: Oh ****!!! What the hell am I going to tell command?

Leia: .....

Ackbar: Why is the shield still up?

Han: Well.... We have a slight, tiny problem...

Ackbar: ....

Han: The bag of charges... Kinda got lost...

Ackbar: OH YOU *censored**censored**before water shed**censored*@@#~~&&%$@@@%%&- *trails into static as Home One is destroyed by the Death Star*

Han: Balls....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.