main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What would be the best alternate ending of Return Of The Jedi

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by OrriaSolo, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    For Vader live on....

2. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    But, there's no way for Padme to become a Force Ghost since she's not Force Sensitive and even if she was never taught how to become a Force Ghost, and unlike for Anakin there's no one waiting on the other side to pull her through.

3. ACE_Albert

ACE_Albert Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 3, 2007
    One name: Qui-Gon Jinn. :D

4. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Jinn wasn't as accomplished as Obi-Wan and Yoda were. We also don't know that non-Force Sensitives can be pulled through. I mean, they likely saw each other in the "Netherworld of the Force" that Yoda mentions in RotS(though I still don't know how the 'one with the Force' and the 'netherworld of the Force' ideas work together), but that wouldn't mean she could appear to Luke.

5. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    My alternate ending would consist of Lando and the Falcon getting toasted because that was an the original idea for the film but everyone thought it would be too dark for all the kids seeing this film. I mean with the Emperor, and the Rancor, disgusting Jabba. Now Lando dies! no way! Also Luke would have turned to the darkside and then it would open up another movie where Leia has to train thus ensuring GL another paycheck stub for 1986.

6. Jedi_Freedom

Jedi_Freedom Jedi Youngling

Jan 24, 2006
    SithMaster_69....

your post made me realize something. Your forgetting that the ending of ROTJ and episodes 1-6 is ONLY the ending as we know it and it continued on and on(i'm not counting everything that was written after that). Anakin probably DID do all of those things. He has now "become more powerful than you can possibly imagine". He is spirit now just like obi-wan and yoda and can talk to luke on a regular basis just like a regular person would. In this way, he can redeem himself. he filled him in on the prequels, stories of the clone wars, his mother, the force, saber techniques and so on..... I believe in all my star wars nerdiness that this is what happened. One thing i don't get though, and this may have been talked about before, is that when luke first sees his father as a spirit, he acts like it's no big deal and is only casually happy to see him. Not HOLY^%$^$, it's my father and he's my age! where the hell did he come from?!?! this is waaaaay overthinking things, but this leads me to believe they had talked or met previously. i understand why it was filmed that way of course, it completely wouldn't work moviewise.

7. Eliza_Skywalker

Eliza_Skywalker Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2006
    I personally would like to see Luke hugging and kissing a nice female rebel pilot at the end of ROTJ, when they all meet on Endor to celebrate the victory. It could happen just before Luke joins Leia, Han, Lando etc. in the closing scene. I think he deserves a romantic happy-ending - he is such a nice guy[face_batting] - and maybe has some secrets burried deep down inside of him.;)

(And yes - I know - the PT tells us, love is forbidden for a Jedi, but neither Ben nor Yoda told Luke in the OT about that, and therefore that doesn't count for me:p .)

8. ACE_Albert

Sep 3, 2007
    We know from the EU that Luke ends up with Mara Jade, so...

SW never was one to feature 'meaningless' romances. Only destined pairs. :D

9. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    True but if you bring in the EU Mara wasn't Luke's first love. There was Leia(it never worked out thankfully but he certainly had a romantic interest in her prior to learning she was his sister), Callista, Gaeriel, Alexandra, Shira, Mary, Jem and Akanah before her.

10. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    I grew up on the OT not mention I'm probably one of the oldest members of the JC, so I'm a little biased. Love the PT, but this isn't what this threads about. ROTJ is in my top 3 fav films of all-time. The best alternate ending is the original w/Yoda, AG as Obi, and SS as Anakin, w/the Ewok music in the background, but I would leave in the montage of worlds celebrating in the most recent version, along w/Jedi Rocks in the middle. Would be the perfect ROTJ for me. Wished there was an interactive dvd version where we could mix and match what we wanted.

11. Eliza_Skywalker

May 3, 2006
    As far as I know, Mara was created years after ROTJ (but I am no EU expert - Idon't like the EU).

But I like the idea of Luke having a "normal" love - that has nothing to do with redeeming his girlfriend or is going to be tragic.

Another thing that comes to my mind now: Through the whole OT we were shown that Luke - compared to his father - made the right choices at the right time. So when at the end of ROTJ Luke shows strong sympathy (or even love) for a woman that is not his sister, it would be a good evidence that again he made the right choice - waiting with his private stuff until the war is won and the evil in the galaxy is defeated.

Just again my stupid thoughts.

12. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    It would come completely out of nowhere though to introduce a new character 3 minutes before the end of the series.

13. Eliza_Skywalker

May 3, 2006
    Accepted - unfortunately you are right by this point.:_|

It would have been nice to see Luke talking to a female rebel in TESB in a short scene, implying he is interested in her and she in him, but both haven't the time to deepen their relationship because of all that other stuff to do at Echo base.
    But there is no scene like this, and so I think I should be fine with the end of ROTJ as it is in the SE.

14. smibrilundun

smibrilundun Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2007
    I can't remember seen any female pilots in Star Wars IV-VI .Of course I could be wrong.

15. ACE_Albert

Sep 3, 2007
    Haha I know, bringing in the EU always... complicates matters. :p

BTW, one of the novels from before the movies had Luke find out Leia was his sister implied that Luke and Leia actually did the nasty. :p

Was Luke a better person than Anakin? Perhaps, but then we'd never know, would we? Compared to Anakin's life according to the PT, Luke has had a blessed, peaceful childhood and existence. He never had to fight in a major war, he wasn't a slave as a young boy, he wasn't ripped away from his mother (or guardian) at 9, he didn't have to endure years as a misfit and distrusted personage (as Anakin did growing up in the Temple), he was loved and well cared for until ANH, in fact his existence was so sheltered that he was still quite charmingly naive even as a young man in ANH. Yes, he lost all his known relatives in ANH, but none of them died in his arms, and they weren't actually tortured, just summarily executed. He saw Obi-Wan get killed, but even Obi-Wan turned out to be fine, and visited him as a Force ghost later on. By the end of ROTJ, Luke had never fallen in love, never had to deal with the fear of losing a loved one, never had to keep a major secret from his close friends, never really been regarded with suspicion or looked down upon... Also, Luke never had a reason to join the Dark Side. The Dark Side offered Anakin a chance to save his beloved Angel, but all the Dark Side did for Luke was take away Owen and Beru Lars, take away Obi-Wan Kenobi, take away Alderaan, twist his birth father into Darth Vader, torture Leia and Han, take away his birth mother, take away his chance at growing up with his twin sister with loving parents, make him be hunted across the galaxy.... all without offering anything in return, except perhaps the "privilege" of standing besides Darth Vader.

If Anakin were in Luke's position, I highly doubt Anakin would have joined the Dark Side, either. Luke never had to grapple with the issues Anakin had to, so while it's easy to say "well Luke didn't join the Dark Side so Luke's a better person, duhhh" you gotta examine the circumstances also. It's not like Anakin grew up aspiring to be a future Sith Lord.

'Sides, if we consider the EU, Luke fell to the Dark Side and stood besides a resurrected Palpatine, too, so it isn't like Luke was immune to the lure of the Dark Side - far from it. In fact, when he did fall, Luke seemed to be seduced over more easily and quickly than Anakin was. In Anakin's case, it was a chain of events over years, and a final breaking point where he tipped over into the Dark Side. In Luke's case, there was no buildup over years, just a single situation, and he broke. In that light, Luke was actually weaker than Anakin was, not the other way around.

16. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    The Dark Side would have allowed Luke to save the Rebellion and his friends. Vader attempts to use this to turn Luke to the Dark Side: "Give yourself to the dark side. It is the only way you can save your friends. Yes, your thoughts betray you. Your feelings for them are strong." Luke of course briefly gets enraged and defeats Vader, but he then sees what he's becoming and throws down his saber.

It's arguable that Luke truly fell while under Palpatine until the very end. He went undercover and tried to defeat the Emperor from within. He was sabotaging the Imperial War Machine the entire time. He also eventually defeated the Emperor in saber combat and turned against him far faster than Anakin did.

17. Eliza_Skywalker

May 3, 2006
    I am always wondering, why there are no female pilots. Would be nice to see one.;)

18. ACE_Albert

Sep 3, 2007
    Luke didn't know his friends would die, and in fact, they didn't die. All he had to go on regarding his friends' peril were the words of two somewhat deranged, massively overconfident Sith Lords. That isn't as strong an impetus as, say, Anakin's repeated visions - visions that have been terrifyingly accurate in the past, mind - of Padme screaming for him and then dying. Anakin actually saw Padme die in the near future. Luke never saw his friends die in the near future. All Luke had to go on were the Emperor's and Vader's smug predictions of the Rebels being crushed by insurmountable odds - smug predictions that have been proven wrong in the past, mind, say, with the first Death Star in ANH.

I also doubt Luke's feelings for his friends are as strong as Anakin's feelings for Padme. In fact, I'd be worried for Luke if Luke's feelings for his friends were that strong. :p

And you still can't deny that Luke had a much easier childhood than Anakin did. Luke's past makes it far less likely for him to turn to the Dark Side.

It was pretty clear that Luke fell to the Dark Side. He initially justified joining the Dark Side by considering it an undercover mission; he then rather rapidly truly fell to the Dark Side and began working with the Emperor.

19. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Luke had never seen Palpatine before RotJ, and Vader seemed fully aware that the Rebels could destroy that technological terror in ANH.

True, Luke didn't love Han like Anakin loved Padme, but I wouldn't be surprised if he loved Leia about as strongly just in a different way given how he flips out when Vader even mentions turning her to the Dark Side.

Luke definitely had an easier childhood, but given that as a child Anakin was a selfless and mostly happy little boy, I don't know that being a slave had really had it's fully embittering and angering effect on him yet.

I really need to read Dark Empire again. He was definitely under Palpatine's sway from the start(given that he refused to leave Byss) but I don't remember him being completely fallen until he fails to kill all of Palpatine's clone bodies in his first rebellion against the Emperor.

20. ACE_Albert

Sep 3, 2007
    Still, Luke's past first-hand experience has shown him that the Alliance can overcome seemingly overwhelming odds, and that there may well be gaps in the Empire's defense that could lead to the Imperial forces' downfall. Luke knows from history that the apparently overwhelming might of the Empire is not infallible. In contrast, Anakin sees from his past that his visions do come true.

He cared for Leia as his sister, and didn't want harm to come to her. Besides, he couldn't hide forever anyway. Given that he doesn't even know Leia all that well, I'd be rather surprised if Luke cared for Leia (in a different but equivalent way, of course) as much as ROTS Anakin cared for Padmé.

Are you seriously trying to argue that slavery did not have a negative impact on Anakin as a person? Given how touchy he is about his status in TPM (when he first meets Padmé in Watto's shop), I'd argue the exact opposite - that nine years of slavery left a serious mark on Anakin.

I think the distinction between 'falling' and 'partially falling' is a technicality at best. Luke fell. And for far less noble reasons than Anakin had.

21. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    He does, but Anakin should know better than to trust the man who tried to kill his wife twice and trained the man who killed Qui-Gon.

Luke knew Leia better than Anakin did Padme. Anakin basically spends their time together in TPM, their time together in AotC, and their brief time together in RotS with her given that he's off fighting the Clone Wars inbetween AotC and RotS. Luke and Leia on the other hand are together for much of A New Hope, it seems much of the period between ANH and ESB, part of ESB, the time between ESB and RotJ, and then most of RotJ until the Throne Room.

I'm arguing that while it had an effect, it hadn't manifested itself yet in TPM other than that one instance. He's not an angsty and angry child, he's a selfless and happy child.

I think it's a subtle but very important difference.

22. StormTrooper1776

StormTrooper1776 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    1.Don't make Leia and Luke brother and sister.

2.No Ewoks.

3.No second Death Star.

4.Make the Rebels find out from a Bothman spy that the shutdown droid armies are stored in a secret building hidden on a forest planet.The Rebels go there to turn the droid army back on,and to have control of everyone of the droids to help the Rebels fight the Empire.

5.Yoda doesn't die at Dagobah.

6.Luke has two Padawans.

7.Luke's Padawans helps the Rebels find the secret building that has the shutdown droids on the forest planet.

8.One of Luke's Padawans turns to the Darkside and the two Padawans fight to the death.

9.Luke and Yoda go to confront Vader and the Emperor at Coruscant in the old Jedi temple which is the new Sith temple.

10.Yoda and Luke fight Vader and the Emperor in a two vs two Lightsaber/Force duel.

11.When a army of stormtroopers show up to blast the two Jedi,Luke and Yoda are seperated as Luke stays to take on the stormtroopers as Yoda is left by himself to take on the two Siths as the lightsaber duel heads into another room.

12.When Luke is finished taking out the stormtroopers,Luke makes his way to help Yoda.But when Luke gets there,he sees Yoda lying on the ground as the two Siths are standing over Yoda.

As the two Siths both swing their lightsabers down on Yoda,Luke Force flips over and blocks the swing with his lightsaber.

Then Luke Force grabs Yoda's lightsaber that is lying on the ground next to him,and Luke uses two lightsabers at the same time to take on the two Siths.

During the Lightsaber/Force fight,Luke kicks the Emperor in the face and the Emperor falls on the ground and drops his lightsaber.Luke Force flips over to the Emperor and swings both of his lightsabers down on the Emperor,but Vader runs up to Luke,and swings his lightsaber in an upward direction cutting Luke's two lightsaber hilts in half.

Luke quickly force grabs the Emperor's lightsaber and continues the fight with vader in a red vs red lightsaber duel until Luke slashes Vader's chest plate with his lightsaber causing Vader to go down.

Then Luke Force grabs Vader's lightsaber and turns to face the Emperor as the Emperor gets back up.Luke pointing the two red lightsabers at the Emperor telling him that he has lost.

And the Emperor screams no as he shoots Force Lightning at Luke,and the force of the blow makes Luke drop the two lightsabers and Luke goes sliding across the floor.

Then the Emperor goes over and stands over Luke and talks some as he fries Luke with the Force Lightning.Vader gets up and stands next to his master.

Then as the Emperor starts shooting Luke with the Force Lightning again,Vader picks up the Emperor and throws him across the room.The Emperor hits a wall and falls to the ground and lands on his face.

The Emperor gets up and shoots Force Lighting at Vader,Vader Force grabs his lightsaber and deflects the lightning.The Emperor Force grabs his lightsaber and the two Siths have a Lightsaber/Force duel until Vader kills the Emperor.

Vader dies shortly after he talks to Luke because of his damaged chestplate.

13.The Rebels turn the droids all back on,and the droids take out all of the stormtroopers.

14.At the end of the movie Luke is seen at the old Jedi Temple as him,Yoda,and Luke's apprentice now a Jedi himself are greeting the new Jedi Padawans,and Obi and Anakin suddenly appear standing next to the three Jedi in ghost forms.

23. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Some things I'd do:

Fiercer ewoks and more of them.

Larger ground battle

More at stake when the Imperial commander, Jerjerrod, turns the DS2 around to blow up Endor.

It's now a race for Lando to blow it up and for Luke to get out of it.

Upping the ante a little.

24. Dc_10

Dc_10 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2005
    I wouldn't mind the empire taking out the ewoks.
    I wouldn't mind a longer montage at the end featuring the end characters doing different things to restore the galaxy.
    Luke setting up the New jedi Order
    Leia helping to establish the new senate with Han looking on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.