1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Sydney (16th-18th June), Perth (23rd-25th June)

Oz Comic Con: Melbourne (1st-2nd July), Brisbane (23rd-24th September)

Oceania What would be your first extravagant purchase, if you've just won $31 million?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by casual-jedi, Dec 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. casual-jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    I just caught the ad for the New Year's Gold Lotto draw.
    $31 million, not too shabby.

For me, it's gunna have to be a 1998 Toyota Supra RZ(Black). [face_love]

That said, a first class ticket to Celebration III would be a close second.
  2. PulsarSkate Ex-Mod

star 7
    [LygonStBoys] Suuuprrraaa! Check out the sick alloys on that one mate! Sweet![/LSB] :p

I'd have to say, I'd buy a round the world trip. I want to see everything! Then I'd buy a house, then I'd buy some decent clothes. Heaps of books. Thousands. I'l need something to 'read' (ie: pretend to read while I'm perving) on the beaches of the Mediterreanean :p

Ticket to C3 would be nice.

Financing my own movie/theatre company would be good. Or maybe start that bookshop I always wanted to own.

And I'd throw a supermegauberhuge party for everyone. In a hotel. For three days. I'd invite the Hilltop Hoods!

I could buy a heap of friends!

But this mere speculation. :p

I wants it, the money is my preciousssss....
  3. Foxi Jedi Knight

star 5
    One of those resort type huts on a jetty in Bora Bora. I'd be buying houses, apartments and propety all over the world like a madgirl I tell you, a mad girl! I looooove property shopping.

Then I'd tell my dad to retire, and give my nearest and dearest whatever they wanted.
  4. General Cargin Jedi Master

star 4
    First on my list would be a nice home to hang up my shingle, with the obligatory awesome home entertainment system to go with it.

Second on the list would be a couple of cars - a cherry apple red '65 Mustang, and something a little more practical for inner-city driving, such as a fully tricked out ASLAV-25 Piranha. ;)
  5. Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Hmm. Well I'd buy a bunch of stock and property to keep me earning, put a few million into my church and some charaties...and then:

House (nothing too fancy)
    Car (probably 2...a nice luxury sedan and a 4WD)
    Bar fridge bug enough to stock my Guinness
    A film studio for myself
    A copy of Massive (18000 US)
    and the rest will be living costs.

I have all the other things you'd expect to buy ;)
  6. FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan

star 4
    The first thing I would do is clear off debts. Oh how I hate debts.

Then it would be a toss up between a PT Cruiser, a really nice Harley Davidson or a Honda Goldwing (I don't care that I don't have my license, I just want them). Hell, maybe I'll just get all three.

Then I'll go out and buy (and kick out the owners) one of those beautiful Tudor houses along the beachfront. Just so that Soup can let his inner-surfie shine again and I can live in the beautiful house.

Then it'd probably be a trip over to the UK so that Soup and I can visit rellies we haven't met and to have a snow fight.

Oh, and I'd love to find out what a lifetime supply of chocolate would really turn out to be.
  7. Sith Magician Jedi Master

star 5
    I'd live off the $1 million, while doing a film with a $30 million budget.
  8. HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania

star 6
    House, HECS (sorry -- "HELP"), good car, pilot's licence, aircraft, C3, and setting my family up for life. Hopefully I'd have some left over to leave the hypothetical kids once I'm done with all that.

Edit: I'd continue working, of course. I like money. :D
  9. Foxi Jedi Knight

star 5
    And a jumping castle, a big one.
  10. Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Padawan

star 4
    A solid gold dancer and a solid gold jetpack.
  11. Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Youngling

star 6
    *Changes idea*

I think I'll go with S_M's idea ;)
    Spend the 30 million making the WW1 story about my relatives in the Somme :)
    My DREAM film project!
  12. Shara_82 Administrator Emeritus

star 5
    1. Pay off credit card (not really an extravagant purchase).
    2. How many troubled third world villages would $31 million help? Because I'd do that.
  13. Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA

star 6
    You could buy 600 each of these things:

Community toilet in Malawi $170
    100 hectares of trees in Mongolia $1,300
    Shelter and food for HIV/AIDS orphans in Zimbabwe $3,973
    Clean water supply for communities in Malawi $9,931
    Upgrade a school £4,800.00
    Solar power and video education kit £2,331.00
    One borehole £2,500.00
    Plant a forest £4,000.00

Total cost: $30,060,000.00

You'd even have $940,000 left over to blow on the pokies.

:)

14. HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania

star 6
    You just have to go and make me feel guilty, don't you? I went and sponsored a World Vision kid today and I still feel like crap now. :p
  15. Shara_82 Administrator Emeritus

star 5
    I'd do what Sil said.

Then I'd donate 500 000 to medical research.

After that I'd probably buy a house. Sue me.
  16. Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA

star 6
    Ah, that's great Hawk! Where does your new kid live? Mine's in Equador.
  17. Shara_82 Administrator Emeritus

star 5
    It's sorta complicated - that was going to be my Christmas present. Hawk would pay to sponsor a child and that would be my Christmas present. (Basically for the next however long the child needs sponsorship.) But when we got there he didn't have his bank account details, so I just put it under my name and my account.

However when we got home I couldn't stop crying over this sad little boy I'd seen. So we went back today and Nathan sponsored that little boy (a 10 year old from Indonesia) while I will continue to pay for the little girl (a 2 year old from Tanzania).

So yeah...we've technically each got one but also technically I've got two. Take that either way you like. Either way it's brightened my Christmas a little.
  18. casual-jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Don't be too hard on yourself Hawk.

After all, my question did only ask for your 'first' purchase. I'm sure everyone will have some sort of charity in mind, in their respective hypothetical spending spree. To those who genuinely have it first on their list, well I say good luck to them. Me, I feel no guilt with indulging in one or two shopping fantasies.

However, If you really feel like less of a good person because of this, you can go out and buy that "Do They Know It's Christmas" Cd. You might be able to use it as a coaster or something, cos goodness knows why you'd listen to it.
    :D
  19. Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Ah I find it funny that you people said you're gonna donate it all...what a load of rubbish, and you all know it.
    [face_laugh]
  20. Kehleyr Jedi Master

star 4
    I'd be buying my parents home. It's been in our family for over 100 years and Dad will sell it eventually, which is sad. It's got a 2.8mill value on it now...
  21. Shara_82 Administrator Emeritus

star 5
    what a load of rubbish, and you all know it.

Not so. I can live off the money I make get working, and the only thing I'd really like to have at the moment is a clear credit card and a house with no mortgage.

I don't actually NEED the rest of it. Especially since if I'm not paying rent I could use that money to save up for whatever else I wanted.

Fair enough if that's not what you'd do, but don't tell me I wouldn't, thanks. Because I know what I'd do slightly better than you. And I also know that me and guilt work so well together that if I didn't I'd be miserable anyway. :p
  22. Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Nah you'd keep the money.
  23. Shara_82 Administrator Emeritus

star 5
    Nah, I wouldn't. Refer to previous post. :)
  24. casual-jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    I commend you on your selfless nature Shara.

Like I said, most people(perhaps with the exception of Shadow :p) would have some sort of donation to make to some form of organisation. The fact that you put it so high on your list just shows what a great person you are.

Me personally, I think my donation, would probably come after I've thoroughly looked after myself, my family and my friends. After all, charity does begin at home right? Even then, my donations would probably focus on our homeless and hungry here in Australia.

A walk through any big city in this country is liable to break my heart more than any worldvision ad. I'd probably look to help the Red Cross or Salvos establish more soup kitchens and programs to get the homeless off to a fresh start.
  25. Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Youngling

star 6
    perhaps with the exception of Shadow

Hey I said I'd donate to my church. Good enough for me.

The fact that you put it so high on your list just shows what a great person you are.

Ah justget on ya knees and get it over with...

A walk through any big city in this country is liable to break my heart more than any worldvision ad.

Strange...why?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.