main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania What would be your first extravagant purchase, if you've just won $31 million?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by casual-jedi, Dec 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shara_82

Shara_82 Administrator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 10, 2001
    Because things hurt us more if they are right in front of our eyes, and there are quite a few people in any city that are just as needy as any in a third world.

casual-jedi is right - it's a fairly certain bet that anyone who suddenly came into a large amount of money like that would donate some of it to charity whether it be abroad or at home.

But casual-jedi asked what the FIRST one would be, and that'd be mine. To someone else it could be 1st, 2nd or 500th. It's kinda whoever's got the money's choice.

And since it ain't any of us, we can only be hypothetical based on what we know of ourselves at this point. But if some billionaire wanted to test that in reality, they're perfectly welcome. ;)

As to S-o-E's comment, I can't imagine how you thought there was a need for that. In fact I'm fairly sure you know comments like that are not only hurtful, but not allowed here. So let's not repeat it, OK?

2. casual-jedi

casual-jedi Jedi Master star 4

May 6, 2002
    No offense mean't Shadow, just joking around.

In regards to your last question though...
    When I was at Uni, I was involved in a documentary about a group of Brisbane's homeless. This experience put me in touch with a sense of helplessness that can be hard to get over. Some of the stories I heard, really put my personal situation, into perspective.

For that short time, I could actually see what 'rock bottom' was, and as a struggling Uni student at the time, I really wasn't that far from it. I came to realize that human despair can be found anywhere, even right here on our streets. That's why it'll be the first place I'll look, if I'm ever in the position to help.

3. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    As to S-o-E's comment, I can't imagine how you thought there was a need for that. In fact I'm fairly sure you know comments like that are not only hurtful, but not allowed here. So let's not repeat it, OK?

Which comment you referring to? I made a few.

4. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Something along the lines of this:

Ah justget on ya knees and get it over with...

Not appropriate regardless of who it's aimed to. Don't do it again.

5. casual-jedi

May 6, 2002
    I wasn't offended if it helps any...
    I took it as all being in good jest. [face_clown]

6. JediMasterKieca

JediMasterKieca Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    I would take a certain percentage of the money (say, hmmm... maybe 2 mill?) and invest invest invest in the name of a trust, and then give that trust to the charity/3rd world thingie of choice. That way, the charity would get regular money from the profits of the investments (not sure if I'd prefer stock or real estate or just interest from a bank type account), rather than just receiving one lump sum they spend at once.

I kinda think the ongoing money from it would ultimately be more useful to them :)

Not quite sure what I'd do with the rest to be honest.

Would it be ridiculous to say my number one buy would be a baby grand piano?

7. casual-jedi

May 6, 2002
    A Baby Grand, ooh I'm intrigued, do you play Kieca?

I'm thinking though, with $31 mil, you might be able to afford the bigger size.
    Unfortunately, my piano skills are limited to 'Chariots of Fire' and 'Chopsticks'.
    (and the latter I only learned from watching 'Big')

8. JediMasterKieca

Nov 30, 2000
    Yes, with $31mill I could get a bigger one, but the problem is finding somewhere to put it :p
    My second purchase would be an apartment in Sydney somewhere, and not many apartments can fit a full size grand ;)

And yeauz, I do play. :)

One would hope I wouldn't buy a hugely expensive piano if I didn't... :p

9. casual-jedi

May 6, 2002
    An apartment in Sydney...
    Well you better forget about anything else then. :p

10. JediMasterKieca

Nov 30, 2000
    [face_laugh]

It's funny cos it's TRUE!

11. casual-jedi

May 6, 2002
    White guys have names like Lenny,
    and Black guys have names like Karl. :D

12. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    My father in law (to be) has a replica XY GT Falcon, So I would go out and buy him a real one.

And probably one for myself too.

13. Dsource

Dsource Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2000
    My dad's got an original XW GT-HO Phase II. It kicks ass. He bought it after Allan Moffat and Bruce McPhee came first and second at Bathurst in 1970. It cost him about 5500. I wish he bought two since you wont get an original for less than 50,000 now..

14. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    Very cool

15. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    *has a massive attack of the guilts*

You guys are worse than my mum! :p j/k (I'd never say that about anyone...except maybe Hitler)

Of course, if given the money in real life, I'd be hauling sacks of money around to every cancer research establishment I could find and watching them count it with a happy smile on my face knowing that people I've never met might not have to go through what my family did.

I admire Hawk, Shara, Sil and everyone who expressed their intent and of course their actualisation of such in regards to their chosen charities. That's bloody brilliant. I'm too poor to do more than give world wildlife fund about $30 a month, so good on ya people! :)

But in the case of 'what would I buy if I had $31 million' I'd still go with my original post of buying crap. Its a hypothetical situation and I love exploiting hypothetical situations! Gimme stuff! :D

16. Shara_82

Shara_82 Administrator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 10, 2001
    It can be incredibly hard to scrape together the amounts they ask for sometimes. I know that before I started at this job there were times when even $10 bucks a week was too expensive.

Quite frankly I think giving Wworld Wildlife Fund $30 a month is pretty good. :p

17. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Let's get back to shameless materialism. :D

Definitely a full set of LOTR swords (the real deal, not the Pakistani ripoffs I've got).

And after that maybe I'd fund a new fanfilm with a $100,000 budget.

:D

18. NeecH

NeecH Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2003
    I like Sith Magician's idea of living off $1 mil and using the rest to finance a movie. I'd just use that $30 mil as collateral for a bigger budget.

As for the $1 mil... Clear debts, upgrade my ticket to Tokyo to First Class, invest some, etc.

19. Nyder

Nyder Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    I'd buy my own island, heavily fortify it and blow away any ****** that comes near..

20. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    And after that maybe I'd fund a new fanfilm with a $100,000 budget.

Ah you cheap ass ****!
    You're saying that outta 31 million you'd only spend $100,000 on it?! ;)
    Bah! Any why bother with a fanfilm! We both know they equal nothing but pain in the fact youa int gettin' any refunds at all...something original ma *igger!

21. casual-jedi

May 6, 2002
    What's with the Wutang thing all of a sudden???
    You're not gonna start busting caps are ya? [face_worried]

Oh, and Nyder, here's hoping you don't win the Lotto. :p

22. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    The first thing that came into my head was a new $2k digital camera. Not very extravagant I know, but it's what I am wanting to purchase at this moment.

Now as for the top of my dream list, it would have to be an Audi RS6.

I have a dream list too, such as a 3 storey penthouse with one level completely themed on something... Trek maybe? :p

23. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    What's with the Wutang thing all of a sudden???

Inside joke dude...fo shizzle!

24. mauls-menace

mauls-menace Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    My first extravagent purchase would probably be a new expensive car, don't exactly know what type but man it'd be fun looking and choosing which one! ;)

The first major thing I'd do is pay off the mortgage and buy a better, bigger house. :D

25. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000

Nicole Kidman.

Yeah ok, not literally BUY her, but I think with $31m in my wallet she may just reconsider that restraining order ...

Ok, seriously?

Keep enough to live off the interest and I dunno, do something noble and wise. An ex-gf wanted to establish a ranch for abandoned cats - maybe i'll set one up for her.

Then unplug the phone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.