1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Sydney (19th-21st June), Perth (26th-28th April)

Oz Comic Con: Melbourne (27th-28th June), Brisbane (19th-20th September)

Oceania What would be your first extravagant purchase, if you've just won $31 million?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by casual-jedi, Dec 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teknobabel Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Many choices of what to spend cash on, i'd say a car or 3 would do

http://www.topgear.com/content/features/stories/Ferrari_LM_550/01/

one of those would be nice.

http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/maserati_mc12.asp

or one of those, but seeing as though there already sold out, could be a bit of a problem.

Or i would take a valiant pacer, old school straight six, my dad had one them, great car, then i'd strap on a triple weber or stromberg carby and let er rip
  2. Happy Ninja Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I'd buy a nice, big, house in the middle of New Hampshire, and kit it out with all high-tech gadgets. Buy a couple of nice cars...Especially an Aston Martin DB9. I'd share some cash out with my family and friends, and then do what others have suggested here; put some money into some film projects. I'd fund my fan film, put some money in other serious projects, and then buy a bunch of stock in companies like FOX and WB, whose share prices are going to soar in the next year or two.

Then, I'd probably pump some cash into some animal wellfare shelters, or perhaps build my own.
  3. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
    You just have to go and make me feel guilty, don't you? I went and sponsored a World Vision kid today and I still feel like crap now.

Why the hell are you sponsoring a child?

It's one of the most criminally irresponsible acts you can do, since it all but ****s in the ass any chance they have at a reasonable future.

You ever heard the phrase, "Give a man a fish, he eats for a day; but teach him to fish, he eats for a lifetime"?

You're giving these kids fish, that's all.

Seriously, go with Save the Children or APHEDA if you want to donate to needy third world children. Do not sponsor children - sponsor communities and development! There's a reason why ANY aid worker resents child sponsorship, you know.

[/end off topic rant/lecture]

The first thing I'd get? 1967 Jaguar XKE (E-Type), Fastback, in British Racing Green or Burgandy.

[image=http://www.chris.gage.ukgateway.net/jdc/images/cars/roger_etype.jpg]

I'd then invest, until I had enough capital to pick up Fallingwater...

[image=http://www.wam.umd.edu/~stwright/frank-lloyd-wright/fallingwater-pictures/fallingwater-1.jpg]

...a Frank Lloyd Wright home in Pennsylvania. I'd have to buy it from the Kaufmanns, but I'd certainly preserve it.

Pictures of Fallingwater.

E_S
  4. Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Master

star 4
    Im changing mine.

I would go straight to WB's MovieWorld and buy

The 1989 Batmobile
    [image=http://www.chickslovethecar.com/images/batmobile1.jpg]

and

The 1995 Batmobile
    [image=http://www.chicksdigthecar.com/images/batmobileforever.jpg]

5. HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania

star 6
    I suppose you've spent enough time in Tanzania to say as much from your own experience, E_S?
  6. GoobaFish Jedi Master

star 4
    Oooo! Fallingwater! I'm in [face_love]
  7. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9

I suppose you've spent enough time in Tanzania to say as much from your own experience, E_S?

It's both noble and touching that you wish to defend the programme Hawk, but frankly, you have nothing to say here.

Sponsoring children is a really, really bad idea. It does nothing to alleviate the cause of poverty, it merely ensures one child recieves magical gifts from a Western Santa and in the process, becomes a resented outcast.

I give money to both Amnesty and STC, and I did a bit of study on aid programmes for international political economy. I appreciate that sponsoring one child is a well-intended gesture, but as they say, the road to hell is oft paved with the bricks of good intent. If you're keen to improve the quality of life of people in the developing world, do it properly. UNICEF, for example, is doing it properly. What you do not want to do, ever, is sponsor a child, one solitary entity. If you sponsor an entire community, you're ensuring not only that their future will be better, but that the future of other communities in their country will be better. We need to get the developing world developed, and we need to teach them not only the value of, but how to develop, infrastructure.

If you wish to continue sponsoring a child, despite just how wrong it is, go ahead. Just never claim the high road over me, because I *do* give up money for Save the Children, and unlike World Vision etc, they give $0.84 in the dollar - the highest of any charity -to the intended targets. You have any how many cents in each dollar WorldVision give to the intended recipients?

E_S

EDIT: Markups
  8. Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Youngling

star 6
    A big thumbs up for E_S's entire post.

EDIT:
    Thought I should mention that this aint a smart ass post. I actually support what he said ;)
  9. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
    There's nothing wrong with wanting to help; in fact, Hawk is to be applauded for trying. It's just it really pisses me off that people don't research exactly what they're doing first, and so we end up perpetuating the cycle of dependency.

If I came across as bellicose or the like, it's because of how much the concept of sponsoring one child angers me. I apologise Hawk, and suggest you divert funds to Save the Children or OXFAM or UNICEF.

E_S
  10. Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Youngling

star 6
    I don't even bother with any other seas agencies. Seams bad of me but I just don't trust them to spend the money wisely.
    Best way to help these 3rd world countries is by educating them on how to survive, not just helping random kids etc.

Only things I donate to are hospital things over here like all the cancer donations that go on and all that shiraz. I was at Baskin and Robbins ice cream store (all my mates run it in Fremantle) and I put 15 dollars into the donation box on their counter then some young dero bastard came in and stole the money out and legged it! Like a few minute after I donated.
    Boy what a hiding he copped...not just from me.

E_S , you seam to know your stuff concerning charities...is the Mcdonalds charity thing (you know the one for kids in hospital or soemthing) dodgy by any means? I donate to it every time I have Macas (so not very often) and I just wanted to know if i'm wasting my money.
  11. Detonating-Rabbit Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm with Save the Children...

Anyway, with that amount of money I would have to shout all my friends several drinks at the pub. Over several days, of course. And with tons of pool and darts.

Ah, bugger it, I'd just buy the pub. :D

And then I would buy a chicken. But not just any chicken; I would buy an exploding chicken...
  12. Exploding_Chicken Jedi Knight

star 2
    Does this show how bored I really am...?
  13. Chansplace Jedi Master

star 4
    I'd buy a Delorean and do it up like in back to the Future :)
  14. messicat_kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    I would go to Fiji, help out my old town there, and start a scholarship for students to study overseas, anywhere they want, all expenses covered. Then I would buy a flat in somewhere in the Chelsea and Kensington borough in London, beacause Kensington rocks. Property in Watsons Bay, Sydney, a flat for my granma wherever she wants, my mum's dream home and a flat for my sister. Money for the Guide Dogs, and help rebuild India and Sri Lanka after the tsunami. And I'd buy a car. A Toyota probably, seeing how much I loved my Corolla. A Prius, yeah that'd be sweet.

Then, having put enough away for living and all that, hire some awesome club in London, and have a massive night with Jay Sean, Rishi Rich and Juggy D making the music. Invite all my friends and fly people over from back home. That would be mad. Oh and I'd fly to New York to see Bombay Dreams on Broadway and have money for a two tickets to the next Bolly concert, including money for flights to where it is. If I still have money, I would go to the US and Canada and meet my livejournal friends and of course, go to India on one of those set tours in Mumbai. Finance a concert with Abhishek Bachchan, Amitabh Bachchan, Shah Rukh Khan, Ajay Devgan, Vivek Oberoi, Hrithik Roshan, Saif Ali Khan, Rahul Khanna, Aamir Khan, Kajol, Rani Mukherji, Preity Zinta and Aishwariya Rai, and anyone else my friends really wanted to see, and bring all my Bolly buddies along. One of those massive stadium concerts and donate the ticket sales to Indian charity.

Yeah, that sounds pretty cool. I reckon I could make it stretch, I mean it's a massive amount of money! And if not, I could modify things, like, combine the two concerts. Stuff like that. C'est facile!
  15. Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA

star 6
    I don't want to get into a pissing contest over "my charity is better than your charity" but World Vision does not just support the child you sponsor. The money you give goes to community projects as well. They are very clear that the best way to help people is through building better infrastructure for the community.

They also gave 80% of the money they recieved out. Save the Children's annual reports says they only gave 55% to projects.

I think anyone should be proud of helping other people out.
  16. casual-jedi Force Ghost

star 4
    I thought that World Vision did community initiatives as well Sil... in fact, I do recall a couple of info-mercials about it, hosted by Sigrid Thornton or some one like that. However, Ender-Sai's stirring rant, something about giving a man some fish and garden paving in hell, had me confused. In any case, I do agree that anyone who performs any act of philantropy, should feel proud. Not excessively though, cos that'd just be conceited.

On a separate note, did anyone here actually win the New Year's draw???? First Div. ended up being about $500 000, so about 60 people in Australia did. The best I could do was 3 lousy numbers... maybe next time.
  17. mauls-menace Force Ghost

star 4
    Hey Powerball this week is $15,000,000.00. I'd pay off the house and buy another and move into it, visit a Car Dealer or two, finally get to the US and Europe, buy a holiday house along the coast somewhere and basically relax, maybe start a business. ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.