main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What would female comic book heroines look like

Discussion in 'Community' started by beezel26, Feb 22, 2015.

1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Holly Golightly and Amanda Conner both happen to do some of the most extremely overly-sexualized interpretations of women in the history of comic books.

2. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Hey, don't be knocking hypersexualisation. Hypersexualisation = freedom. Look at Muslim countries. They're the opposite of freedom. [face_flag]

jp-30 and Ender Sai like this.
  3. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    I would like to see Wonder Woman face the reality of a pregnancy scare or how about the lingering doubts of not starting a family. I would love to see what the other women in the justice league would say about that can of stuff. You can't tell me there wouldn't be any animosity from the ladies for the guys having kids and still be able to be super heroes.

What if Green Arrow hooked up with Black Canary and had a baby. Only Green Arrow demands paternity leave to take care of his baby. Leaving Black Canary to stay in the league. how would that appear.

How would Wonder woman feel if she came up a former villainess who now has a family. Meanwhile she has no kids to speak of. What if the daughter of the villainess looked up to her.

4. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    Beezel approves.

5. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    This is all about the hypersexualisation of women in superhero comics, yet the two examples provided were "drawn like men do" or "militarised" portrayals? Where was the most obvious possibility in this paradigm of "realistic portrayal of the female body"?

The only examples of the provision of a female viewpoint on the content and story-points were about child-bearing and whether a woman should feel bad about not wanting kids? That's a completely paternalistic paradigm of what a female writer can bring to the table.

Oh, and by the way the characters of Sue and Reed Richards, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage, Stephanie Brown, and Scott Summers and Madelyn Prior (and Jean Grey) have all faced issues surrounding bringing children into the world of superheroes and they managed to capture the various complexities of the issue quite well (some with the input of female creators, most from male because oddly enough men are invested in children just as much as women are).

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Wonder Woman is on the Pill.

7. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    what would Muslim math books look like

what about ones made by islams

8. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    I've always wondered what the female consensus was on their work. Their women artists and that's good, the industry needs more of them. But at the same time with all the negative reaction to over-sexualization in comics I do wonder if they take heat for it or if because their women doing the art it's seen as fine.

9. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

GREEN ARROW IS MARRIED TO BLACK CANARY BEEEEEZEL. THEY HOOKED UP ALREADY. THERE IS NO WHAT IF SCENARIO. YOU ARE THINKING OF THE SHOW, ARROW.

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The pillar of this discussion is probably found in the fact that the creators of Wonder Woman were a male feminist, his 2 feminist wives and the inspiration of his mother-in-law & aunt-in-law who happened to be the founders of Planned Parenthood and famous suffragists. Look at the costume and the bondage themes, which were metaphors for a woman losing their power when they allow themselves to be bound by men, and realize that they set the precedent for female characters in skimpy costumes finding themselves in high-innuendo scenarios.

11. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    This thread needs some Havac

12. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    I mean't can't not can trust the govt. Sorry, miss that.

Oh and as long as Jean Grey and those other females dingo mentioned have big boobs it negates a lot of the good that is done.

I mean really you are gonna discuss having a child but you are gonna ignore how you treat the mother by over sexualizing her.

Come on dude. Its a half ass excuse for trying to be good to women.

13. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    I mean't can't not can trust the govt. Sorry, miss that.

Oh and as long as Jean Grey and those other females dingo mentioned have big boobs it negates a lot of the good that is done.

I mean really you are gonna discuss having a child but you are gonna ignore how you treat the mother by over sexualizing her.

Come on dude. Its a half ass excuse for trying to be good to women.

14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Slammed. Out for the count.

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    beezel how long have you been a feminist?

16. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Are you drunk?

17. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    Regarding the hypersexuality of comic book representations, I honestly think the concern is blown out of proportion. When a female character's sole characteristic is to be pretty for the men to look at, that's a reductive, unfortunate and damaging portrayal of women. But when a female character is portrayed with depth, as a multifaceted rounded character that is competent and intelligent and, yes, flaunts her sexiness, then all the more power to her. What, only the men are allowed to be attractive slick-haired hunks? We've been through the sexual revolution, people. It's the 21st century. It's okay for a woman to exert confidence in her body and, gosh, want sex. :eek:

If anything, comics should promote the idea that being attractive should not make a woman be taken less serious. Women have the right to express their sexuality without having to experience shaming. Some of the attitudes expressed, while rooted in good will, have the flavor of prudish patriarchal double standards. It's okay for a man to wear a skin-tight leotard that hugs his ass and crotch, but god forbid that a female character has curves.

And having the sexy ideal body and the skintight suits are just another extension of the fantasy of perfection in comic hero characters. This is a medium that glorifies the idealised image of the body. It's going to play on our inner fantasies of being the hunk or the fox that everyone desires. Especially as it's a drawn medium, it has the freedom to exaggerate to boundless extremes. Yes, it's shallow, but our innermost human desires ARE shallow. It's all the id and ego at work. Are you honestly going to tell me that a man doesn't want to be handsome? That a woman doesn't want to be desirable? Isn't it anyone's, male or female, fantasy to save the day, be dashing and heroic and through it all look fabulous while doing it? Comic book characters are the ultimate celebration of that.

18. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    HI HELLO DO YOU EVEN READ MY POSTS????

19. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

Wait, you're being serious? Of the ones you could choose, you go with Jean Grey? The character that, yes for about a decade of her 50 years in comics, was drawn with some out-of-proportion body areas but for the rest of it has had a more chaste (compared to the rest of comic females) costume to the point of ridiculousness? The only female character in that list to not be a mother (in the Earth-616 continuity). For whom the most definitive modern portray was by Frank Quietly in his and Morrison's New X-Men run where she was depicted as almost flat-chested (especially compared to Emma Frost, which I will get to further on). Who incidentally in that run became the leader of the X-Men, Headmistress of the School for Gifted Youngsters, kicked out her psychically cheating husband, helped save the life of the adulterous mistress, took absolute control over one of the major cosmic forces in the Marvel Universe, and was basically a role model for female power through the use of her natural determination and brain (and I don't mean her telekinesis or telepathy).

Meanwhile you bring up Wonder Woman, who has for the most part had the worst costume in terms of sexualisation of the major comics characters, or then Black Canary who challenges Starfire for most ridiculously sexist costume since her iconic look is fishnets, a black spandex leotard and a black leather jacket?

The '90's was when comics lost their way in visual depiction of women as they realised that the move away from newstands was losing them sections of their audience that wasn't going to come back so they started pandering to the section that was there, 16-40 year old white males. At some point in time nearly every female character in that era was drawn at one point or another in a hyper-sexualised manner. About the only one that wasn't was Amanda Waller. That does not negate anything else that these characters have been able to help show over time. The Richards' struggled first with bringing one, and then a second child into the world. And then with how their public profile impacted upon the safety of their kids. Then with the issue that one of their children was potentially the most powerful mutant on earth even as a 5 year old, and then again when their daughter showed that she would rival her father in sheer intelligence. Does the fact that during the 90's Sue was drawn with larger than normal sized breasts mean nothing of this matters at all?

Jessica Jones struggled with being a street-level hero with no superpowers, and then became pregnant with a mixed-race child in a world where family was not off-limits for supervillains. She is also a modern era character and has not been drawn at any point with a chest that defies all laws of physics and gravity.

Madelyn Prior died prior to the 90's trend of big-chested women, so she stands as an example under your crazy criteria.

And lastly Stephanie Brown, or Spoiler. A teenage (eventual) member of the Bat-family who while swinging through the streets of Gotham became pregnant from a departed ex-boyfriend and has to deal with the slew of issues around teen pregnancy, bringing a child into the world she lives in (especially as the daughter of a villain and having Robin as her current boyfriend), and the heartache of giving up said child. And again, at no point during this run of time is she depicted as having breasts out of proportion to her body at the various stages of this journey.

So how about you try again to reclaim some sort of moral high ground that you have never had.

And to cover something in line with what VVM said, there are times when the sexualisation of a female character is actually not sexist. Getting back to Ms Frost and taking her character from the start of Morrison's run (because prior to that is a quagmire of in- and out-of-continuity issues) onwards she is depicted as voluptuous, but not anatomically incorrect, and a character that owns her sexual identity as part of who she is. She is up-front about it, unashamed, and carries herself with more dignity about it than many female celebrities in the real world.

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    your a women SLB you are probably some lesbian feminist who tells guys she likes them to scram money out of them so no i dont read your posts because you are like a niger person who wants to scam my email for money and let me tell you they cant fool me again no sir i already feel for that twice

harpua and Sith-Lord-Gunray like this.
  21. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003

lolol honestly beez probably thinks I'm a dude still

Jedi Merkurian and Ender Sai like this.
  22. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013

23. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Just on the Wonder Woman issue... I recall that before the first pic of Gal Gadot in the role came out that was a lot of debate online over whether it should keep the classic look or try for something less revealing like the reboot look with pants and a jacket.

I know back then it seemed a lot of the consensus was that giving her the pants and jacket was the more sexist option as it was insinuating showing skin was bad. Don't know if it's changed since then.

So just wondering what the opinion on it is now.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  24. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  25. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    What happened on your impotent date, beez?