main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What would get you so mad that you would walk out of Episode VII?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by JediKnightOB1, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I can't really comment as to fighter pilots seeing as I'm not one, but I do work in life or death situations and there is a lot of over the top banter and what most would consider ill timed humor. For a lot of people this is a so to me, the banter is a more real situation than completely serious pilots.

kainee likes this.
  2. DARTHLARS

DARTHLARS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I could stand musical numbers. I could stand gungans stepping in Poodoo. I could even stand Justin Bieber. But there is one thing that I can not stand, that I don't see being Star Wars at all: Yuzhaan Vong.

Vong is wrong, plain and simple. I refuse to see that as being part of Star Wars, not even part of any eventual alternative-universe Star Wars. As much as I love hard science fiction. If I see a Vong on screen, I would look away, cover my ears and run out, shouting LA LA THIS IS NOT HAPPENING over and over until I am out of the movie theatre complex altogether. Then I would look myself in my bedroom and not come out for a week.

OK. timetravel would almost make me do this too. *shudder*

So you are in the camp that hates Ewoks, then? ;) In my view, Avatar is basically another take of the Ewoks' story in ROTJ. Evil outlanders came and pillaged, but the good natives didn't stand a chance until the good outlanders came and helped overthrow the evil outlanders.
    The same theme was used in TPM. Evil outlanders (The Trade Federation) invaded and threatened the good natives (Gungans) way of life. Gungans had some technology, but very primitive compared to the Trade Federation.

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  3. The Crippled God

The Crippled God Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 17, 2012
    I have actually walked out of a Star Wars movie before it ended. It was Attack of the Clones. I was so ... angry that I couldn't bear watching anymore. I've mellowed on it a bit, but I was well and truly disappointed the first time I saw it. So I guess if we get a silly Jedi vs battle droids medieval battle with almost no Jedi being agile, interspersed with awkward Threepio moments and Sam Jackson's incredibly hammy performance...I'll walk.

Actually I watched Clones yesterday on request from my son and found myself actually enjoying parts of it (which was seriously unexpected) to the point I began wondering what was wrong with me. I think I enjoyed my son's questions (I have to translate for him), his glee at certain scenes, thrilling to the action in the droid factory etc. making me less grumpy about it all. Heck I even got goosebumps when Anakin said he hated them sandfolk.

Vastor likes this.
  4. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    Do yourself a favor, leave the kids at home. Knowing how crazy and loud this movie is going to be, plus potty breaks, probably not a good idea to take a two year old to see Star Wars. Just Sayin'.

5. Lord Tuvitor

Lord Tuvitor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 27, 2003
    I would get really mad and leave the theater if the projector broke, once they gave me my money back or tickets for the next showing. :p

6. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    I have the same concerns but I think Mark can pull off an Obi-Wan type of character (or even Qui-Gon, who had a bigger role in TPM). He made a fairly generic, bland hero like Luke very likable, and that requires some skill. (look at Daniel Radcliffe as not so successful example).

7. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Meh, I sat through Wing Commander - so nothing.

KevinM1 and CT-867-5309 like this.
  8. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    I don't think I've ever come out of any movie before, even if I felt it wasn't good. However, I've avoided those that had really bad word of mouth and overwhelmingly bad reviews.The worst I can think of was Ang Lee's Hulk (boring) and 2004 Punisher (simply crappy). Oh, and Lars Von Trier's Melancholy. I guess I just can't tolerate artsy self-indulgence. At least Lucas has some great visuals and underlying mythology to entertain me even if I'm not completely immersed into the movie.

LawJedi likes this.
  9. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Response to the thread's title: Seeing the Magic Kingdom logo.

Robimus likes this.
  10. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    You mean you're not going to watch it at all? [face_hypnotized]

LawJedi likes this.
  11. Doug625

Doug625 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 9, 2012
    if the dialogue is as bad as the prequel trilogy. It seemed to written for 6 year olds to understand

12. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    "Meesa back!"

JediWheelz, KevinM1 and JediKnightOB1 like this.
  13. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    this is a true story, but when the new star trek movie came out, like that night me and my friends go to see and right as we're at like the end scene and the fire alarm system goes off and we're force to evacuate the building and then we were all grumbling until we heard that they were going to finish showing the movie. so something like that would make me mad.

14. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    I actually can't watch AOTC due to the schizophrenic feelings it engenders.

"I love this movie!"
    One minute later: "I hate this movie!"
    Two minutes later: "Wow, that's great stuff!"
    One minute later: "Lucas, what in God's name is wrong with you?"

Ad infinitum...

15. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Most of the hatred directed toward AOTC is really displaced TPM butthurt. That's why it tends to improve when actually watched.

kainee and Count Yubnub like this.
  16. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    The romantic scenes are the most awkward things ever written though.

17. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    Agreed, I really liked AotC bar the romance scenes. It would rank up there with the OT if the romance wasn't so ham fistededly written and acted.
    The sand monolouge? Cripes, Anakin creeped me the hell out in that scene, he looked like he was considering rape.

Pro Scoundrel and CT-867-5309 like this.
  18. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    Also this is my first post back here since AotC screened, I jumped ship to avoid the RotS spoilers and never came back.
    So hi all. :)

LawJedi likes this.
  19. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    "I hate sand. It gets everywhere... deep into every tight little nook and crevice. Kind of like what I'm planning to do to you... did I say that out loud?"

20. The Crippled God

The Crippled God Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 17, 2012
    Anakin does have a lot of awkward staring going on in this here movie, no doubt. He's creepy..."a cunning warrior and a good friend..."

21. KevinM1

KevinM1 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 15, 2012
    If it turns out to be as wooden, CGI, and boringly shot as the PT.

Visually, the PT looked very much like an uninspired video game. Lots of clutter and chaos and movement, but not a lot of consideration of lighting, or scale, or framing. The OT is famous for various scenes, many of them simply shot: the Tantive IV fleeing from the Star Destroyer. Luke staring wistfully at the two suns. The cantina. The dark side cave on Dagobah. Yoda lifting the X-Wing out of the swamp (you can see Luke and R2 in the distance, below the front landing strut as it comes towards him). The entire carbon freezing scene. The initial duel silhouettes. There aren't many moments like that in RotJ... maybe the Luke-looking-a-bit-like-Vader as he first enters Jabba's palace scene and the end of the lightsaber duel, when it's shot from the side and Luke is pushing Vader back to the bridge, before the camera angle changes again.

The point is, there are very clear moments when the OT 'speaks' with the language of film. The PT stumbles mightily in that regard. Sure, there's often a lot of things on the screen, but for the most part it's so cluttered, shot straight-on, or just lacks any weight or meaning due to how fake most of it looks. Look at one of the final images of AotC, when the clones go off to war. It should be a very emotional, heavy scene, but it comes across as flat due to its obvious computer generated nature. None of it looks real, so none of it feels real. It's mere spectacle that doesn't transcend like it should.

The acting only compounded this issue. It was obvious that the actors weren't emotionally involved. Ewan did the best, but when actors like Natalie Portman check out, there's a problem. Part of it is due to Lucas being a horrible director (seriously, check out the behind the scenes - there's more to directing than drinking coffee and instructing actors to speak faster/slower), and part of it is due to virtually everything being done on a blue screen set.

The new movies need to do the following: get a director that can direct, build real sets filled with real extras and real Muppets, and learn to use the language of film to convey meaning. Anything short of that (which, if we're being honest, should be the bare minimum of any film not made by Syfy) will cause me to walk out.

22. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Honestly, I just don't want to see any new SW films, especially ones coming from Disney. :p

Maybe when more information comes, I'll look into it.

23. smallpaul

smallpaul Jedi Master star 3

Aug 15, 2001
    A Marvel-Star Wars crossover.
    Kirsten Stewert.
    Zombies.
    Vampires.
    Adam Sandler as the new Sith lord.

24. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    If the PT looks like an uninspired video game, actual uninspired video games look like blurry, blocky dog poop.

And Dagobah in ESB looks very much like a film set to me. Or in the language of hyperbole, an uninspired combination of a few loads of dirt and a fog machine, hastily arranged by some set bloke in between his doughnut dunking sessions.

kainee, Arawn_Fenn and -NaTaLie- like this.
  25. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    If you keep complaining about kids in the theater you are going to jinx yourself. You'll probably end up sitting in the theater when suddenly the remaining seats get filled up with a fourth grade class of students on a field trip and every one had 7-11 gassy burritos and a Big Gulp before coming to the theater. Oh yeah, they are also hyperactive and suffer from oppositional defiant behavior (Something like that happened to me once:oops: ).

kainee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.