main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What would get you so mad that you would walk out of Episode VII?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by JediKnightOB1, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Empress Shatterpoint

Empress Shatterpoint Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2013
    1) If Luke or Obi-Wan Kenobi or _insert PT Jedi here_ is given a descendant, I'll be seen running away from this horror. No need at all to have anyone related in the ST with the exception of one Solo kid.

2)Unnecessary romances. Star wars trilogies have mostly kept to one romance a trilogy(Han/Leia, Anakin/Padmé) with already established marital relationships in the very far background. It's a tradition that should absolutely be kept especially in light of all the 'let's pair every major character with someone of the opposite gender or they'll diiiiiiie' hollywood trend. If I see Abrams placing people together just for the heck of it(The dreadful Spock/Uhura romance comes to mind) I'll have a seizure resisting to throw popcorn at the screen. If there needs to be a romantic subplot for realism sake(would not be realistic if there was no romance at all given how many people are relationship-oriented), build up a Daisy/John love story and leave the rest of the characters out of the love world. Seriously.

3)New Jedi order being exactly like the old jedi order-a big NO. I want there to be evolution in the Jedi code, none of that 'too old, too attached' nonsense. Whilst I don't want romance just for romance sake, maybe it could be established that around 50% of new Jedi choose to have families. Here's hoping to an equal amount of celibate/single Jedi and married Jedi.

I would have added 'I'll walk out of episode 7 if there are stormtroopers still around, and the imperials vs rebels conflict still going', but having seen the trailer it's far too late for hope in that direction...

2. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    The galactic war ends at sometime I know it was supposed to end at Endor but it continued I don't want to sound like this just EU proof.

3. Good_News_Nobody

Good_News_Nobody Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 4, 2011
    Dude, Luke did have descendants. At least in EU universe.

And the remnants of Empire weren't destroyed with the fall of Coruscant. The Empire was just something more than just Palpatine, Darth Vader, Death Star and a fleet of star destroyers.

TKT likes this.
  4. Empress Shatterpoint

Jan 5, 2013

It's DUDETTE.

And for the record, I don't consider the EU canon as it was not written by GL. I have in the past attempted to read a few EU books from various eras, approaching it like potentially good fanfictions, only to be disappointed in basically every aspect. I dislike the chosen antagonists, much of the plot(s), the characters(even the way pre-existing characters were treated), and most of all, the decisions made in romance. For me it was clear in ROTJ that Luke was to be a celibate figure. If there was such a need to give him a love interest, she should have been introduced in TESB(I disagree with the need to pair him with someone though).

Regarding the Empire, I thought ROTJ made it clear that all important figures were blasted with the death Star destruction, with lower-ranked Imps surrendering in the end. The open celebrations on Coruscant of all places seemed to suggest the Imps had officially lost. Does it exclude the possibility of a few Imps escaping capture? No, but it indicates an inability(or at least seemed to) to continue freely with Imps procedures. I just find it jarring to cancel all of Luke(and Anakin in the end)'s victories in the OT trilogy. I don't suppose the troopers outfits could be used by other antagonists than the Imps...

propeller and Luke'sSeveredHand like this.
  5. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I don't have any interest in EU either but it seems unlikely that the bureaucracy of an empire spanning hundreds of star systems would simply dissolve at the end of ROTJ and that a number of systems would remain under control of remnant imperial governors who retained imperial fleet assets for enforcing their rule. It might take the republic generations to weed them all out, or they might simply make peace with some of them.

That said I might walk out of TFA if someone is building another Death Star. That's the last thing the ST needs.

TKT, Granek and D'an like this.
  6. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    "I'm gonna walk out if the plot isn't exactly how I envisioned it", the thread.

7. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    nothing came make me walk out of the new movie. i watched the phantom menace today for the first time in 14 years, oh my what a dreadful film that is.

8. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    "Like" that portion.

9. DarthAhem

DarthAhem Jedi Master star 1

May 6, 2014
    I won't walk out. There's plenty that might disappoint just as there's plenty that I might love. I'm 40 now, run a business, am a dad, etc. I've concluded long ago that it would be very hard for any new films to capture me like seeing ESB did when I was 6. My world is too different and filled with more imprortant things. That said, I'm a fan and want it to he good.

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  10. DarthGelatinous

DarthGelatinous Jedi Master star 2

May 15, 2001
    I sat through Ep1-3 end didn't get up, not even to tinkle or to refresh my juju bee supply. A video recording of GL's arthroscopic ACL surgery would have been more entertaining. Given that history, I say nothing would make me get up and leave, short of a visit from James Eagan Holmes to my Cineplex.

11. Millennium Fairlane

Millennium Fairlane Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2014
    Force conception, again.

And then only if I rated my odds of getting the small fortune I paid for the ticket back.

Sarge and Darklighter57 like this.
  12. Tevase2

Tevase2 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 12, 2011
    If disney even put any singing I there I will walk out. But honestly I don't think they will, but then again you never know

13. Darklighter57

Darklighter57 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 26, 2014

Yeah, Disney makes singing cartoon movies.... but do you honestly think they are THAT foolish? It's not like the Marvel movies have any sing along bits in them. They have some idea of what they're doing, they're making a Star Wars movie and they won't throw in singing, cartoons or mickey mouse.

14. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    *cough*

15. Darklighter57

Darklighter57 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 26, 2014
  16. Good_News_Nobody

Good_News_Nobody Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 4, 2011
    I've never read a SW book, but there are many good SW comic books. I had hoped, that they would have remained in the canon. Not all of them, but the good ones definitely.

Dude, the ROTJ didn't make clear anything. So some systems ousted imp governors and declared themselves free, what about the hard core pro-imp systems? Not to mention those systems that had significant garrisons, fleets patrolling sectors etc. The rebels were in no shape to control the whole galaxy! The main figures, that held the empire together were killed, but ambitious lords, moffs, generals, admirals were left with millions of troops under their command.

17. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    What's wrong with Luke having children?

18. Empress Shatterpoint

Jan 5, 2013

It's not so much that I have something against Luke having children specifically than I have something against ALL the leads of the OT(let's make that PT/ST too) being married/having children. I would have been fine with, say Luke/someone + Leia/no one + Han/no one OR Luke/Leia + Han/no one( if ESB would have happened differently). It just happens that Leia/Han was the romance of the OT(which I was fine with, I thought they made a good 'opposite attracts' couple). Like previously said, I don't care for the 'main heroes/heroines' absolutely HAVE to be in a romantic relationship' trend in movies. It just happens so often that I am left with the bitter taste of being indirectly told that 'relationships are all that matter', 'EVERYONE needs to be in a relationship to be happy(what a tunnel vision...)'. More than that, movie romances usually are(from my point of view) lacking in originality or sincerity. I often feel like characters were created for the sole purpose of being someone's partner, not because they actually bring something to the table(thinking of Ginny in Harry Potter if you want an example).

I just am left with the impression that filmmakers are...afraid... to leave characters single. My question for all the 'Let's give Luke a wife/children!' parties is: why do you personally feel it would serve a purpose to give Luke children/a wife? I think Luke is best served as a celibate being focusing on expanding a post-ROTJ order/passing on knowledge, a bit like Obi-Wan in ANH. If Luke was to be married, they should have brought this wife as soon as TESB to properly introduce her. Otherwise she's destined to be some minor/unexplored character probably dying with Luke sometime in the ST.

Sarge likes this.
  19. ScorpionJedi

Jun 19, 2013
    Because he's the first of the new Jedi who shouldn't have to follow outdated PT rules of not having wife/children. By having a family, he can prove that trained Jedi can have good working families which can work out better for them in the long run and do what his father always wanted to do with Padme but couldn't. It can also give Luke a chance by furthering what he's done since redeeming Vader in ROTJ by creating a Legacy where by the Skywalker name has good connotations through his children(unless one of them turns). It's like why sometimes children in real life who lose their parents in less than pleasant circumstances often want to have families and would try to do right by them and be the best parents they can be.

As for when to introduce Luke's wife, they can do it after ROTJ like they already did. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Plus no one wants the last woman Luke Skywalker kissed to be his sister. He would never live it down and would be a constant source of insult for the character. Unless there are people here into that sort of thing?

Random Comments and TKT like this.
  20. Cartoon Boba

Cartoon Boba Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 30, 2014

Imagine a pop song on the soundtrack - inappropriatesville. o_O

21. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    We need a new Taylor Swift song over the TFA end credits, absolutely.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  22. Empress Shatterpoint

Jan 5, 2013
    Totally agree on the new Jedi Order needing to be free of the outdated PT rules, and certainly I want to see examples of Jedi with family, but I don't see why LUKE has to be one of them. Wouldn't Leia having a family suffice(I assume she'll have a half-Jedi, half-politician role in the ST) as well as the daisy character(a Solo methinks) continuing Anakin's lineage( I am 99% sure she'll have a love interest somewhere in the ST)?. The Solos can become the new Skywalkers of this trilogy(in a blood way they technically are). I think Luke would feel fulfilled enough with watching over his niece(s)/nephew(s) + the new Jedi Order, but that's just my take on him. His, err, earlier crush on Leia established him as not opposed to romance, but I didn't have the impression it was something he needed. He seemed perfectly fine making his friendships his family from what I see.

It would just feel cheap to me, giving him a wife whose background we will never know. Star Wars doesn't do flashbacks(unless JJ introduces that aspect), so awkward questions like 'how did they meet?', 'how/why did they fall in love?', 'what is her connection with the rebellion?' would float in our minds, only to be left unanswered.

I don't know, I find this to be quite funny. Imagine all the Luke-teasing potential!

Good Lord, I hope not.

23. ScorpionJedi

Jun 19, 2013
    Because he's the first one and he has a responsibility to lead by example?

Well they are creating a new Expanded Universe with more TV shows and comics etc for that sort of thing.

24. Empress Shatterpoint

Jan 5, 2013
    Having a responsibility to reform the Jedi Order doesn't actually mean he *absolutely has to* personally enjoy the new freedoms, just that it shouldn't be restricted for him/other Jedi. Leading by example(as embracing changes) would be more along the lines of personally endorsing the new relationship options-maybe he can even act as a 'Justice of the peace' to marry his Jedi coworkers. It's necessary to allow marriage, but it shouldn't be an obligation to marry...Would be just as extreme as not being allowed to marry.

Well as GL is not the main contributor of the EU/tv shows, I can't consider it canon. I also don't see enough story potential to watch it despite that. Anyway, to me all important matters should be dealt with within the movies-one shouldn't have to count on extra stuff to fill in the blanks.

25. bluemilkcheesypuffs77

bluemilkcheesypuffs77 Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Never, if anyone did they would be a Rodian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.