main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT What would happen if Obi-Wan and Leia had met as planned?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Matthew78, Jun 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew78

Matthew78 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 16, 2006
    You know how Leia was originally supposed to find and meet with Obi-Wan Kenobi when Darth Vader caught her and nearly ruined her plans, but thankfully not before Artoo was able to escape and go looking for him, i always wondered how things would have been if Obi-Wan had evaded Vader on the Death Star and escaped onboard The Falcon, what he have done after meeting with Princess Leia anyway?

I suppose that a Jedi General like Obi-Wan from the Clone Wars would have been very useful to the Rebel Alliance, and Luke would have been trained a lot faster with Obi-Wan still being alive, Kenobi might even have joined in on the attack on the Death Star at the end too, because of his experience as a pilot from the Clone Wars, he would have been a big help, or on Yavin IV cordinating the attack, and maybe afterwards he could take Luke and Leia aside and reveal to them both that they were twins, that they both were the children of Padme and Anakin Skywalker, maybe revealing the Darth Vader part later, then Leia's training as a Jedi would have started at the same time as Luke's did.

And suddenly Vader and Palpatine would have a major problem as Kenobi would be training the twin Skywalker children and leading the Rebel Alliance a Jedi General, not something that you want to deal with, triple the trouble for The Galactic Empire.

SlashMan likes this.
  2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    The shooting script (iirc) pretty well illustrates what you describe...Obi-Wan was in charge of the battle of Yavin.

SlashMan likes this.
  3. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Obi Wan might not of been very good if he was a pilot at Yavin because his reflexes might not be what they used to be. He would be best as a strategist.

4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    If Obi-Wan had met Leia as planned, the Battle of Yavin would have happened earlier (and might have been the Battle of Alderaan).

Little Mike and DarthDuckie like this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, I wonder if Alderaan might have been spared.

6. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Luke would've gotten some sweet power converters.

7. Darth Palpadious

Darth Palpadious Jedi Master star 3

May 31, 2013
    Given that Obi-Wan thinks he's "getting too old" to be carrying out the relatively simple task of delivering a droid to Alderaan, I doubt he would have felt comfortable with the responsibility of taking down the Death Star. (Of course, that line may just have been a ruse to get Luke to come with him and start training as a Jedi, but it doesn't come across that way to me). He probably would have taken the Leia role of just standing there exchanging worried looks with Threepio.

I think the more interesting question is what would have happened with Luke and Leia. Obi-Wan would surely not have left Leia to her fate on the Death Star, and given their relationship and his eagerness to get Luke started, I think he would have entirely encouraged Luke's decision to go and rescue Leia in either circumstance (whether he made it to Alderaan or not). Once the Battle of Yavin was over I think Obi-Wan would have sat down and had the conversation with Luke and Leia fairly quickly.

8. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Darth Vader's Chest Plate Jedi Master star 2

Mar 18, 2013
    If Leia had met with Obi-Wan as she planned;
    the droids wouldn't have been with the Jawas for Owen to buy,
    Luke wouldn't have gone looking for R2 and therefore wouldn't have encountered Obi-Wan,
    the Lar's home wouldn't have been destroyed as there wouldn't have been an imperial presence and if there was it wouldn't have linked into them.

Would Obi-Wan have left Tatooine (and Luke) to aid Leia and the rebel alliance?

9. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    i think he would maybe have gone for Luke after going to Alderaan, therefore dying and the empire going on eternal
    or he would have gone to find Luke and fulfill his mission...he had been watching Luke all his life so he must have known he was ready, knowing he was already a great pilot

10. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000

Too old to deliver a droid to Alderaan...not too old to clandestinely infiltrate a space station he's never even seen before, dodge thousands of enemy troops while doing so, and deactivate a tractor beam and then sneak out with two bad guys standing twenty feet away....

Kenobi.
    Ben Kenobi. :p

11. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    Would like to delete response, misread original post

12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Why did Bail want Obi-Wan at Alderaan in the first place, anyway? "Now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire". Did Bail really have no other options than to go find ole Obi-Wan who he last ditched on Tatooine 2 decades ago? (I know the movie shows Bail with Leia first but I'd think they'd drop Obi-Wan off first, technically speaking, because we see Bail's ship land on Alderaan)

13. Little Mike

Little Mike Jedi Youngling

Jun 23, 2013
    Isn't there a picture somewhere of him at the medal ceremony (and Leia's blond, I think)?.

14. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    I'm not sure, sorry.

15. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    I'm sure George may have invisioned Obi-Wan's background as a skilled pilot, being a General in the Clone Wars and all, but spending 20 years in the desert as a hermit may have meant that he wasn't in prime condition to participate in the strike.

16. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    It's be a waste for a strategist-which Generals are supposed to be-to be piloting an X-Wing around anyway. :p

17. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    If Leia found Obi-Wan, then SHE would have been the return of the Jedi instead of Luke!

Mind = Blown.

18. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    [​IMG]

Obi-Wan's first on the right in the front of the group walking up.

DarthBoba likes this.
  19. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Nice find!

20. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    another question would have been - if Leia met up with OB1, would he have even taken Luke with him? Moreover, would Lars have let OB1 take Luke? Its very apparent that Lars didnt agree with OB1 or Anakin, and didnt want Luke to get involved. I think OB1 would have left with Leia and never talked to Luke (probably wouldnt have been much time anyway to drop on by and pick up Luke with the Empire breathing down their necks).

-C

21. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Of course he would have. Why roll with one and not two?

And it's not like the Imperial presence on Tattooine was very effective in regards to Obi-Wan's movements anyway, or even would have necessarily been there if Leia's plan had worked like it was supposed to.

22. only one kenobi

only one kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2012
    Was Leia originally going to meet Obi-wan? She was recording the message as it became clear they were to be captured. More likely they were en-route to Yavin with the Death Star plans when they were intercepted. Leia is made aware (by Organa?) that Obi-Wan is on Tatooine and to send the plans to him.

That's the way I've always seen it.

23. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    The dialogue in Leia's message makes it 100% clear that she was going to meet Obi-Wan (hence why the Tantive IV was near Tatooine). She wasn't en route to Yavin, either, she was going to Tatooine to recruit Obi-Wan & bring him with her back to Alderaan:

From the shooting script:

From the film:

The radio drama also includes a scene between Leia and her father in which he instructs her to recruit Obi-Wan for the Alliance's cause.

24. only one kenobi

only one kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2012
    Well..there you go. How had I missed that? I want to go home and rethink my life...

Darkslayer likes this.
  25. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    In all fairness, I imagine you missed it because Obi-Wan and Leia meeting and carrying on with Leia's mission was written out during the shooting of the film itself - but when the scene in Obi-Wan's hut was shot, it was still intended that Obi-Wan would live, just as Mark Hamill was still playing Luke Starkiller, not Luke Skywalker. In the finished film, in fact, the entire OT, Princess Leia and Obi-Wan Kenobi never meet, not once.

It was simply a plot point that wasn't paid off due to a rewrite, and nothing else in the script pointed to Leia's 'original mission' to Tatooine having failed (apart from the dialogue in the message). However unintentionally, the focus turned solely upon the plans for the Death Star, and apart from about one later line from Leia ("Ben Kenobi?" in the detention centre), it didn't seem like the Alliance was too concerned with pulling some old Jedi Knight out of exile.

With the exception of Dodonna's line to the pilots in the briefing room at Yavin - "May the Force be with you", which might as well have been just an old saying - there really isn't much connection between the Jedi and the actual Rebel Alliance at all in SW/ANH, or ESB & ROTJ either, for that matter.

(EDIT: Off the top of my head, I think Admiral Ackbar says "May the Force be with us" in ROTJ, but again, it comes across as just a saying for good luck, not any sort of rallying cry to restore the Jedi Order)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.