main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

WHAT would have happened if Darth Vader DIDN'T block Luke's saber!???!!??

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DARTH_BELO, Jun 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    This is actually a question that COULD have some serious Depth to it...

If Darth Vader DIDN'T block Luke's saber in ROTJ,

Would Palpatine have been killed?

If so, how would the Prophecy have played out-wouldn't it have possibly been contradicted?

Would Palpatine defend HIMSELF? (I imagine he was likely lying about being unarmed...)

I really am not sure, I am open to discussion...

What do YOU think would've happened? [face_thinking]

2. LordVader66

LordVader66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    Palpatine would have been able to sense Vader's betrayal. He would have immediatly hit Vader and Luke with lightning. Palpatine would not have died if Vader didn't block, it's not going to be that easy to kill Palpatine.

3. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I agree. Palpatine would've sensed Vader's betrayal in time.

Palpatine - he is sensitive
    /LM

4. Ki-Adi-Mundi_fan

Ki-Adi-Mundi_fan Jedi Master star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    There is already a thread on this same topic.

5. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I doubt he would have hit Vader with lightning. It would kill Vader. If he killed Vader and couldn't get Luke to turn, then he'd have no apprentice. I imagine he'd defend himself from Luke and simply continue edging him on, trying to get him to crave the power.

6. LordVader66

Aug 30, 2005
    It wouldn't have been the fist time Sidious was aprenticeless for a period. If he senses Vader is going to allow Luke to strike him down, what choice does he have? If he's just blasting Luke, Vader's going to take advantage of that.

7. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Vader wouldn't want Palpatine dead unless Luke was going to become Vader's apprentice.

8. Han-my-boogie

Han-my-boogie Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2005
    What if, what if. Palps knew that Vader would block that blow. At that stage Vader was still loyal to Palps.

If Vader didn't block that blow? Then Palps would be dead, Luke would turn to the darkside in his rage, Vader would be the master and Luke his new apprentice. The would then *vader voice* rule the galaxy as father and son!

Palps would be happy enough with that. He knows that killing each other is a Sith tradition. In fact he secretly wanted it to happen. He would be dead but the Sith would live on...

9. LordVader66

Aug 30, 2005
    No way. Vader hated Palpatine. If he's got an opportunity, he's going to take it. If Luke doesn't turn, he's not going just simply stay under Palpatine.

10. Rando-Calrissian

Rando-Calrissian Jedi Youngling

Jun 14, 2007
    ...it dosn't matter because the only thing between palpatine dying in this situation and his death in the movie is a battle between and luke... so if vader didn't block it then the movie would have one less lightsaber duel...

11. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    1) This thread title doesn't have nearly enough punctuation.

2) Palpatine's never defenseless. If Vader had "slipped" and not been fast enough to block the blow, it wouldn't have killed him anyway. Vader can block blaster bolts with his hand (I do believe it's his hand and not his armor, but that's a discussion for another time; suffice it to say EU supports me on this topic :p ). I think it's a fair assumption that Palpatine can block things like lightsaber blades too if he's so inclined, since he's probably the one Vader learned it from.

12. Earthknight

Earthknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    Palpatine would've blown up and killed both Luke and Vader in the process....lol

13. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    That is a nifty mechanism to prevent people from trying to take your throne, btw. Make sure everyone knows that you will blow up when you die, taking out the assassin in the process. :p

14. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    I don't necessarily agree with you on that Palp could block a saber with his hand, Beth. This goes against all info we have on lightsabers. I would agree with you in saying that Palp could have counter reacted. He was prepared and waiting for anything. He could have simply lightning'd one or both of them before anything could have happened. He's quicker than he appears, just like Yoda, when need be.

15. BigBoy29

BigBoy29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2004
    He would have to be super quick .... the preparation to make lightning (that gesture with the hands) would make for a close call trying to intercept Luke's blow.
    Personally I don't think Palps could've summoned his hands in time .... but Butt may be right in saying he could've just flicked it in a nanosecond

16. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Now that we know that Sidious kept a lightsaber in his sleeve, he would would have blocked luke's blow, maimed him and put him down, killed Vader on the spot for his betrayal, then taken Luke as his apprentice.

17. Jediknight_Wendy

Jediknight_Wendy Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 16, 2005
    If Vader had not blocked lukes attack i think the saying''Now, you will experience the full power of the darkside" sum's up what would happen to Luke. He would have got a close enounter at close rage with a sith master and found that Force lightning to the head can make even a bad day get even worse just ask mace windu. diffently think Vader would be killed quicly for his insubordination and treason.Luke would be spared after some torture and his journy to the darkside would begin there'' At his side''

Or....Luke's Saber cut's through Sidious gray melted wax like skull and truly steps over the edge going to the darkside haveing giveing into his anger.Which could leave a number of outcome's This woulden't be the optium moment for vader to be going and talking about Leia as Luke is a loose cannon and would just as easily kill vader at that moment as he did the emperor.

OR Vader could convice his son to join with him. I have some doubt's Luke would so quickly abandon his friend's and the rebellion for this choice but i do think if he did cross to the dark side the idea of being with his father would be all the more appealing even if it dose sound innocent. Perhaps Vader would have played his fatherly role more and conviced luke allow him to go with luke. Slowly vader could corrupt Luke until he was his apprentice and Vader being second in line would be the offical new head of the imperial goverment. Luke haveing gone over would be desvstateing for leia and might make vader's ablitys to lure her easier with her brother.

Or the third option Luke kill's both and get's into a ship and go's to endor to escape the death star blowing up. With Vader and the Emperor both dead the empire would crumble the Rebellion would win. And the new republic would foster into it's infancy Luke, Han, Leia, Lando , Chewie and everyone would be galatic super stars for freeing the galaxy. Luke would slow be being ate alive inside by Guilt and fear like a cancer. This would push him over the edge to either leave and go into exile or possbily become a dark jedi himself and become a new meance to the republic...

it's always to look at the many out comes of a Bizzaro star wars universe :)

18. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    Or he could have simply pressed the trap door button. :p

19. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Unlikely. Palpatine was hardly defenseless, and it's doubtful he would have left his entire safety in the hands of a man he didn't entirely trust. Vader was compelled to defend Palpatine not because Palpatine needed defending but because Vader knew that betrayal would have been extremely painful and deadly.

20. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Then why block Luke and stand at the Emperor's side (while Luke is getting zapped). Why the indecision when it came to choosing between Palpatine and Luke?

He wasn't going to stand up to Palpatine without Luke. If Luke had turned, then perhaps Vader would have turned on Palpatine (with the intention of usurping him). But when Luke refused to turn, Vader wasn't so bold and returned to his master's side.

And I do not believe that Palpatine would have killed Vader even if Vader did not defend him. Palpatine was baiting Luke to attack him, if Vader sat back and wanted to see what would happen, in all likelihood Palpatine would have zapped Luke and defended himself. Why is that a treacherous act? Vader knew Palpatine could defend himself, and so he could have just sat back and let him do so. If Vader had decided to not provide Palpatine with unnecessary protection, I don't think Palpatine would think anything of it. Besides, it is in the nature of the Sith for the apprentice to try and overthrow the master. Palpatine had to have assumed that treachery on Vader's behalf was coming. If Vader had indeed tried to usurp Palpatine, but failed, then in all likelihood Palpatine just would have put him in his place, but not kill him. Vader, after Luke, was still the best candidate for a strong Sith apprentice by far. I'd imagine Palpatine is too greedy to just throw that away, unless he could turn Luke.

Vader was trying to turn Luke so that they could overthrow the Emperor and Vader could take his place; Palpatine wanted to turn Luke to kill and replace Vader. By blocking Luke's swing at the Emperor, Vader may have been trying to prevent the Emperor from turning Luke, not to save Luke from the Dark Side, but to prevent the Emperor from winning. In the duel that followed, Vader tried to bait Luke to the Dark Side too; to gain Luke as an apprentice for himself. In such a light, perhaps the act of blocking Luke is more treacherous to Palpatine's plans than had he done nothing.

21. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    Probably not. Authoritarian governments usually have a whole line of underlings waiting to take over the emperor/king/chancellor's spot. Whether a non-Sith could have held the Empire together at its Palpatine-era size and level of military discipline is an open question, but I really doubt the government would collapse just because the leader was gone. Would the US government collapse if someone killed Bush and Cheney?

Butt, we've seen in the films that blaster bolts and Force lightning can be blocked with the hands rather than the lightsaber if the person is sufficiently powerful, so why shouldn't it be possible to block something like a lightsaber strike with one's hand (ie. the Force)?

22. Jediknight_Wendy

Feb 16, 2005
    Dark Lady Mara :

Probably not. Authoritarian governments usually have a whole line of underlings waiting to take over the emperor/king/chancellor's spot. Whether a non-Sith could have held the Empire together at its Palpatine-era size and level of military discipline is an open question, but I really doubt the government would collapse just because the leader was gone. Would the US government collapse if someone killed Bush and Cheney?

Butt, we've seen in the films that blaster bolts and Force lightning can be blocked with the hands rather than the lightsaber if the person is sufficiently powerful, so why shouldn't it be possible to block something like a lightsaber strike with one's hand (ie. the Force)? ::

While there is no doubt that typically Tyrannical goverments have large chains of commands to assume who would fill the poltical void the feel i get from the ending of rotj is that for the most part the empire is collapseing after vader and the emperor are both dead and democracy is returning. As for for blocking blaster fire and force lightning..yes you are correct it can be done..however i think there is enough evidence luke didn't know of such techniques as he kinda had a compressed jedi training program trained in a rather unorthodox amount of time. Which i think is why he laid there getting fried instead of defending him self like Yoda or obiwan when confronted with the lightning issue.

23. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    Luke may not have known it, but that doesn't prove Palpatine didn't.

24. Jediknight_Wendy

Feb 16, 2005
    Dark Lady Mara : Luke may not have known it, but that doesn't prove Palpatine didn't.::

Know what the ablity to deflect lightning?. I more than belive he could if he wanted too..it's possible vader could as well it would be a skill worth learning if even a small amount could mean death given the senstive eletronics needed to keep vader alive. Blocking Luke's saber...if sidious had his short saber..by all means. But bare handed i think we start streching the possblitys with sidious to the extreme

25. DarthDubya05

DarthDubya05 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2005
    maybe it's just me, but Palpatine would have had to react very fast, because if he wasn't planning on doing anything, he would have been mince meat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.