main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What would have happened if Luke Skywalker (in ROTJ) told Vader "what about the name Padme?"

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by JediMasterLego, Apr 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMasterLego

JediMasterLego Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 23, 2008
    Remember in "Return of the Jedi" when Luke went over to the Imperial-Landing-Platform to turn himself in, and therefore speak to Vader and try to get his father Anakin Skywalker back? And they were walking through that hallway in the Imperial-Landing-Platform, and the dialogue went like this:

Vader> The Emperor has been expecting you.
    Luke> I know, Father.
    Vader> So, you have accepted the truth.
    Luke> I have accepted the truth that you were once Anakin Skywalker, my father.
    Vader> *turns and sternly aims/points the lightsaber at Luke* THAT NAME, no longer has any meaning for me..

At that moment, Luke then says "it is only the name of your true self. You've only forgotten. I know there is Good in you. The Emperor hasn't driven it from you fully. That is why you couldn't destroy me. That is why you won't bring me to your Emperor now." And then Vader ignites Luke's lightsaber to inspect it and take a look at it.

I'm asking myself, WHAT IF Luke had said "what about the name 'Padme'?", after Vader told Luke "THAT NAME, no longer has any meaning for me.." (Vader referring to his former identity as/of Anakin Skywalker). How do you think Vader would have reacted if Luke had then told him "what about the name 'Padme'?". Pretty interesting concept and/or idea, huh? :p :-D

2. mojodaddy

mojodaddy Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2002
    If Vader were to do what is consistant with his character, I think that would push him over the edge. He would quickly murder Luke with his bare hands, son or no. His emotions regarding Padme were way unreasonable. Then he would feel intense remorse about killing Luke, join the Even Darker Side, and kill Palpatine. He would take his rage out on the galaxy, destroying randomly and on a grand scale. His position would no longer be a convenient place from which he can impose his version of order, but rather enable him to engage in unchecked violence. Ultimately, Vader would commit suicide, taking out what ever he could with him. All because Luke didn't keep his damn mouth shut.

3. Darky5K

Darky5K Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 31, 2008
    Damn, that was kinda funny.

4. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    I think by that late date Vader would look at Luke and say: "Who?"

5. Chico_Jedi

Chico_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2008
    I know it's not supposed to be, but it's kinda funny. ;)

In my opinion I think that Luke would have hit Vader significantly with that question. Vader was already "softer" in that scene, kinda sad about giving his own son to the Emperor even. So, I don't think he would go mad. But this memory would be a turning point. He would either attack Luke or have a conversation with him which wold eventually bring him back to good.
    But Vader is a tragic character, so he's doomed to die in the end.

6. mojodaddy

Aug 5, 2002
    "I know it's not supposed to be, but it's kinda funny."

I am perfectly cool with you finding it kinda funny.

Of course, that was my opinion of what would happen if Vader were to remain true to his own character. HOWEVER, if Vader is subject to modern plot cliches, then he would immediately belt out a touching song about longing and regret. Luke would chime in with a verse about forgiveness. The film would then begin an animated sequence in which cartoon Vader and cartoon Luke sing a happy reggae song about fathers and sons. Once this song is over, the film goes back to live action. Together, Vader and Luke travel to the Death Star with the intention of teaching Palpatine that it is OK to love.
    Once in the thrown room with Palpatine, Vader repeats a verse of his song about longing and regret. At first, Palpatine resists, but then adds his own verse about his own regrets. Luke begins to repeat his verse about forgiveness, but this time Vader joins him in perfect, glorious harmony. Palpatine is reduced to tears. Amidst his sobs, Palpatine tells Vader that even though he his not his father, he has always loved him like a son. Luke is watching them, and a tear rolls down his cheek. Vader and Palpatine embrace. Vader lovingly lifts Palpatine into the air while Palpatine laughs joyously.
    At that moment, a squad of storm troopers enters. They see Vader lifting the emperor and mistakenly believe that Vader is attacking him. The storm troopers open fire on Vader, killing him. This forces Vader to drop Palpatine down a nearby shaft, thus ending his natural life.
    An appalled Luke narrowly escapes to Endor. He finds a vast, abandoned building where he can crank up his radio and dance away his anger and sadness until the sun goes down. After his highly energetic, yet highly emotional dance number, Luke rushes outside to gaze at the stars. He angrily shouts at the sky, "Why is life so unfair?" Palpatine appears to Luke as a ghost and says something about how it makes Luke stronger, or smarter, or more rhythmic. Whatever Palpatine says, Luke agrees and begins a song about bravely moving on. As the song ends, the ghost of Anakin appears.
    They all agree that even in death, they will always be there for each other. The scene quickly changes to animation again, where the three, now animated, characters sing the happy reggae song about fathers and sons. The entire cast appears as cartoons and joins in for the final repetition of the chorus. As the last note is sung, they all look directly into the camera and smile. An animated George Lucas appears in some Star Warsy costume. Lucas also looks directly into the camera and winks. The end, fade to black, roll credits.

7. Darth_Smileyface

Darth_Smileyface Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 22, 2004
    Hey,

Go here: http://darthside.blogspot.com/ to get some interesting (albeit unauthorised) insights on what Vader was thinking during that scene. An enjoyable read, in fact for my money, the best thing ever written for SW.

8. JediMasterLego

Apr 23, 2008
    Okay that was kind of cheesy, lol (referring to MojoDaddy's post before this one that I just put).

But I do see your point, MojoDaddy.

I agree with Chico_Jedi though. I'm noticing that, in Return-of-the-Sith, 'Vader' (when he was in Anakin's body, before his cybernetic-armor was put on him) still had some sort of feelings for Padme. Unfortunately, darn Palpatine put in Anakin/Vader feelings of "loss", which made Anakin/Vader think that he would lose Padme, regardless of whatever happened. I can't believe that the id*ot was too darn blind to even see that, if he followed on his current path and turned to the Dark side, Padme would SURELY die, and that was because his "Force-vision" was that of Padme dying of heartbreak on the 'operating'-table in Polis Massa, AFTER Anakin/Vader Force-choked her.

I had somehow imagined, back when I first thought of this idea ("what would Vader say, and/or how would he react, if Luke had told him "what about the name Padme?" in ROTJ"), that Vader would probably either gasp immediately afterwards, then 'stutter' (like, "well, uh... I uhh...uhh..."), trying to find an answer to tell his son (who by then, Vader has 'accepted' that Luke is his son, although Luke is really ANAKIN'S son and NOT VADER'S, and Vader has renounced (at least completely, up to a certain point) his identity as ANAKIN and fully 'become' DARTH VADER). Either that or, Vader would just be plain shocked when the name of his former [and now late] wife is mentioned, and he'd probably either stutter like crazy (like I said before) or burst down into tears right then and there, remembering how much she meant to him, even as Vader, and, [he] remembering how much he tried to do in order to "save her", INCLUDING turning to the Dark side of the Force.

9. JediMasterLego

Apr 23, 2008
    Okay that was kind of cheesy, lol.

But I do see your point, MojoDaddy.

I agree with Chico_Jedi though. I'm noticing that, in Return-of-the-Sith, 'Vader' (when he was in Anakin's body, before his cybernetic-armor was put on him) still had some sort of feelings for Padme. Unfortunately, darn Palpatine put in Anakin/Vader feelings of "loss", which made Anakin/Vader think that he would lose Padme, regardless of whatever happened. I can't believe that the id*ot was too darn blind to even see that, if he followed on his current path and turned to the Dark side, Padme would SURELY die, and that was because his "Force-vision" was that of Padme dying of heartbreak on the 'operating'-table in Polis Massa, AFTER Anakin/Vader Force-choked her.

I had somehow imagined, back when I first thought of this idea ("what would Vader say, and/or how would he react, if Luke had told him "what about the name Padme?" in ROTJ"), that Vader would probably either gasp immediately afterwards, then 'stutter' (like, "well, uh... I uhh...uhh..."), trying to find an answer to tell his son (who by then, Vader has 'accepted' that Luke is his son, although Luke is really ANAKIN'S son and NOT VADER'S, and Vader has renounced (at least completely, up to a certain point) his identity as ANAKIN and fully 'become' DARTH VADER). Either that or, Vader would just be pla

10. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    Probably more of the same. A short flash of anger, then silence.

11. mojodaddy

Aug 5, 2002
    Cheesy? Yes. Impossible? Not at all!

12. JediMasterLego

Apr 23, 2008
    Yoda> "Yes, a Jedi's strength flows from the Force. But beware of the Dark side. Anger, Fear, Agression. The Dark side of the Force are They. Easily they flow. Quick to join you in a fight. If once you start down the Dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Consume you it will, as it did Obi-Wan's apprentice."

Luke> Vader... Is the Dark side stronger?

Yoda> No, no.., no. Quicker, easier more seductive.

Luke> But how am I to know the Good side from the Bad?

Yoda> You will know.. when you are calm, at peace.... passive... A Jedi uses the Force, for knowledge and defense, NEVER for attack.

Luke> But tell me why..

Yoda> *interrupts Luke* No, no, there is no why. *sighs* Nothing more will I teach you today.. Clear your mind of questions....

I honestly believe that, had Anakin been taught FULLY by Yoda, he'd probably be REALLY different than what he is today/currently : a Dark Lord of the Sith, a wife-murderer, a Jedi-persecutor, and a literal (and figurative) slave to someone that doesn't even care about him (ie. Palpatine).

13. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    A wife-murderer? Vader didn't kill Padme, although it would have been in line with Sith ethics for him to have done so.

14. mojodaddy

Aug 5, 2002
    Regardless of whether it was direct or intentional, I still feel like Anakin killed his wife. Maybe he's only a wife-slaughterer.

15. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    It wouldn't happen because Luke didn't know his mothers name. Technically, I don't think even Lucas knew the name when he wrote ROTJ.

I just don't think it would work. Darth Vader has a temper problem, and Padme is a personal issue. Something Luke shouldn't bring up at all.

16. JediMasterLego

Apr 23, 2008
    Vader, in a way, did kill Padme, because she died of heartbreak. If he hadn't Force-choked her, she wouldn't have noticed how far he'd gone into the Dark side (and therefore, not have gotten her heart broken, seeing her one-true-love in the Dark side of the Force).

Also, in regards to "Padme being a touchy subject" and "Padme shouldn't be mentioned to [the armored] (not the before-armor version)] Darth Vader, my thinking is pretty much this: Anakin became "Vader" to protect Padme. Anakin was already fully "Vader" when Padme visited him on Mustafar; he was already taking orders from Palpatine on the name "Vader", and he wasn't identifying himself as "Anakin [Skywalker]" anymore. (Not to mention, every single time Palpatine would say "Vader" or "Lord Vader", 'Anakin' would say "Yes Master..", confirming that he was [literally] no longer 'Anakin': he was (as Yoda said), "[Darth] Vader"): "Twisted, by the Dark side, young Skywalker has become. The boy you trained, gone he is. Consumed, by Darth Vader".

And even after he has the suit of armor on, he's still asking about Padme (even though 'Padme' was Anakin's wife, NOT Vader's). So I really am wondering if, and/or how, Vader (as in yeah, Vader in the suit; not, "Vader before he-being-in-the-armor") would react if someone (even his son Luke, for example) were to mention Padme to him.

17. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Actually, Anakin was currently breaking her heart before the choking.

18. Chico_Jedi

Apr 27, 2008
    The choke wasn't lethal at all.
    Padme died becouse she lost the will to live apparently. Which may or may not have been caused by Anakin's fall to the Dark side.

19. Angel_Blue01

Angel_Blue01 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2001
    I don't think Luke knew the name Padme

20. Chico_Jedi

Apr 27, 2008
    He didn't. But this is a "what if".
    He find out about her in some new expanded universe trilogy.

21. mojodaddy

Aug 5, 2002
    What would happen if Luke Skywalker knew his mother's love for her children was so shamefully weak that she did not even have the will to live for them?

22. Chico_Jedi

Apr 27, 2008
    Luke wouldn't have been changed. He didn't expect any loe from hi father Vader in return, yet he still risked his own life to try and bring him on the good side. It just show what a good person Luke is.

23. Dc_10

Dc_10 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2005
    I think Vader would have tried to cover it up. Palps told Vader that "You killed her" therefore vader believed he killed her so he'd either cover it up or shift the blame toward Obi Wan

24. venereth

venereth Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2008
    Vader would flat out go bananas and Force choke Luke to death.

25. Dark_Jedi_109

Dark_Jedi_109 Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2005
    Umm, Luke doesn't have a clue who Padme is. So why would he "What about Padme?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.