main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What would have happened if Luke Skywalker (in ROTJ) told Vader "what about the name Padme?"

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by JediMasterLego, Apr 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KÃ¥l

KÃ¥l Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2000
    C'mon, Vader did kill Padme, even though they said she died of heartbreak. I think Lucas put that in so that Luke wasn't redeeming the guy who murdered his mother (even though he kinda did). Granted, it wasn't entirely intentional, but he was responsible for her death. If he hadn't choked her, I don't think the heartbreak alone would have killed her.

2. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    I don't know. The way it looks onscreen it's that she's fine after the force choke and that she did just lose her will to live. Forget about the fact that the "giving up" stuff is contradictory to her character, it seems that she did choose to die despite the Force Choke.

3. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Vader probably would not have shown weakness because it had been many years in between for him to change. However, it doesn't mean that he wouldn't have paued for a moment or two.

4. JediMasterLego

JediMasterLego Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 23, 2008

I see your point. And yes, you're right: Padme was already getting heartbroken by 'Vader', seeing how far her husband Anakin (who was no longer 'Anakin' anymore. He was 'Darth Vader', with emphasis on the 'Darth' [and "Dark Lord of the Sith"] part) had turned to the Dark side of the Force.

5. JediMasterLego

Apr 23, 2008

Exactly!! I agree with what Kal said.

Heartbreak alone isn't enough to kill someone, unless it's EXTREMELY EXTREMELY PAINFUL, by which Anakin (now Vader, but Padme didn't know that yet) Force-Choking his own wife (the woman he supposedly 'loved' and 'would do anything for', and ontop of that, the man with whom Padme fell in love with when he was only 9 years old (lucky b*st*rd, hehehe), and she was 14 years old). i mean come on seriously, when have you ever heard of a 14-year-old teenaged-woman falling in love with a VERY-YOUNG-looking BOY of ONLY 9 YEARS OLD???!!! something like that is in a feat in itself! :p

6. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Did Luke even know what the name of his mother was? I'm sure Owen and Beru had to have told him. But in the films there was no true reference to Padme except for when Luke asked Leia what she remembered.

7. nancyallen

nancyallen Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2007
    Ya gotta admit he's pretty damn close to an accurate portrayal though. It would rock him, no danger of that.

Not so. Remember Vader's meditation chamber? He thinks of Padme there. Check his Wookiepedia page for a comic scan.

8. Cellist

Cellist Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 7, 2003
    This is all I keep picturing:

[image=http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/1150/homerbartsx8.jpg]
    "Why, you little...!"

9. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    How would Luke know about Padme?

10. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    He wouldn't, he didn't. Lucas probably didn't even know the name when writing ROTJ. This thread is just an attempt to connect PT to OT, and thus making the movies more sappy. Darth Vader would've been pissed at Luke bringing up Padme, seeing as Luke didn't know her and never seemed very concerned with his mother. He was all about daddy.

11. Jedi_Master_Cazz

Jedi_Master_Cazz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2005
    I've actually always wondered this myself. But not about Luke bringing it up, he's a smart boy, and no doubt knows Vader's habits, hell, he's experienced them.

I think the real question hear is, why did Luke suddenly, out of the blue, ask Leia about her mother, then suddenly, into the blue, never follow it up with dear dad?:confused: It's a redundant question because it isn't followed up.

It seems like it was a possible pathway to Vader's redemption that George was experimenting on? He just decided on something else and forgot that Luke's random line was still in the script when he handed it in.[face_plain]

Cheers_Cazza@};-

12. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I think Luke was curious as to knowing about his mother without exactly telling Leia then and there they were siblings. He assumed [as did we all back then] that Leia actually got the chance to live with his mother for a short time, atleast longer then Luke.

I don't think Lucas ever planned on adding Padme to the script back then, seeing as TPM wasn't even fully dreamt up yet.

13. nancyallen

nancyallen Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2007
    Wasn't it? I understood he at least had a fair idea for a nine part series, but on the question itself, Luke probably knew the galaxy would burn with Vader's rage, given how much grief he evidently still feels over Padme.

[image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/2/28/VadersRemorse.jpg]

Don't ask about when this is as I don't know, but this is clearly the meditation chamber from ESB.

14. JediMasterLego

Apr 23, 2008
    I DEFINITELY agree with nancyallen. Vader (even though Vader considered himself "Vader" now and not "Anakin", though they were one and the same person/physical-body) STILL thought about Padme, REGARDLESS of what anyone says. Remember that his key/prime reason[/choice] for joining the Dark side was, "to save Padme from death". Specifically, the "Death" he 'forsaw' in his nightmares while sleeping (which were pretty much, Force-induced visions of a possible future). This was one of the things that Palpatine used to lure Anakin to the Dark side (damn bastard Captain Panaka had told Palpatine that Padme and Anakin were married!!!).

I don't know but I think that, at the very least, Anakin[/Vader] would be "regretting his decisions[/choices]" of turning-to-the-Dark-side-of-the-Force, because his only reasons for doing so ended up being a total waste because 'Padme died anyway'. He had nothing left to live for except his stupid service to Palpatine.

If he (as Vader AND/OR as ANAKIN) 'LOVED' Padme as much as he did, I'm imagining that (if Luke DID bring Padme up to Anakin/Vader and ask him "and what about the name Padme?!" after Anakin/Vader scoffs about his own name saying "THAT NAME no longer has any meaning for me!!!" I imagine that) Anakin/Vader WOULD have shown [at least] SOME remorse about his actions and probably lost his composure for a minute or two (considering he, as Vader (AND, as ANAKIN), loved Padme so much [and so dearly]).

15. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I don't think it was Panaka who told him, but rather someone in the Naboo clergy.

16. Jedi_Master_Cazz

Jedi_Master_Cazz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2005
    I think Palpatine just knew. Sure, he probably got all the goss from Amidala's tightest inner circle. I mean, Palpatine is a politician, but he's also a kriffin' Sith Lord![face_plain]

Cheers_Cazza@};-

17. JediMasterLego

Apr 23, 2008
    I read somewhere that it was Panaka who told Palpatine. I read it in several places actually; I think one of them was Wookiepedia.

18. adx

adx Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 27, 2007
    I don't think you can begin to speculate because Luke would not have known padme so therefore this situation would be ret-con and could never happen.

19. Master_EdgeCrusher

Master_EdgeCrusher Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 21, 2005
    I totally agree. Who told Luke his mothers name? All he said to Leia, I never knew who my mother was, and she said something of I remember her smile, but what at 2 hours old? I just do not think that would work, and yeah if Luke found out from Obi Wan, it may put Vader in a rage

20. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    It was discussed in the ROTS novel.

21. JediMasterLego

Apr 23, 2008
    either way, like nancyallen said, Anakin (even as "Vader") STILL thought of Padme, even as a Sith Lord.

it's very clear (in all the source material: novels, comics, paperback books, the Episode-3 movie, etc) that Anakin clearly just turned to the Dark side, to save Padme's life. (But what really ticks me off is that the idiot didn't even SEE that Palpatine didn't really care about Padme; He just wanted Anakin [as a Sith]).

22. nobeazer

nobeazer Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2007
    He probably would've freaked out and stuff like when Palpatine told him Padme was dead.

23. JediMasterLego

Apr 23, 2008
    Most likely...

24. Darth Sin

Darth Sin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 14, 1999
    I believe he would have went off in some sort of way because look how he reacted when Luke said the name Anakin. He got really pissed off over that, so you could just imagine if Luke had said Padme.

I don't know if he would have went off on Luke, but I think at the least they would have had to replace some glass, some framing and the controls on that bridge. :mad:

Darth Sin! :cool:

25. JediMasterLego

Apr 23, 2008
    Quite possibly...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.