main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT What would have happened if Padme did not die after giving birth to her children?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Anakin Skywalker Vader, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Anakin Skywalker Vader

Anakin Skywalker Vader Jedi Youngling

Feb 20, 2016
    1.) Would Anakin have realized that he was wrong to betray the Jedi, that Palpatines was using and tricking him, and would he have returned to the Good Side?

2.) Would Padme and Obi Wan ever forgive Anakin if he renounced the Dark Side and joined the Jedi again?

3.) If Anakin remained on the Dark Side---or if he did not know Padme and the children survived---would Obi Wan help Padme raise her children? Would he personally train Luke to be a Jedi? Would he tell Luke the truth about his father, Anakin? Would Luke and Leia think of Obi Wan as their father? Is there any possibility that Obi Wan and Padme would have ended up in a romantic relationship?

2. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    Nope. By the time Anakin made his choice to Palpitine, it was over.

He would still be obsessed with her death.

DavidSword79 likes this.
  3. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  4. Warren Moonwalker

Warren Moonwalker Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 30, 2015
    all of these things are dependent on whether or not anakin knew padame was still alive. if he knew she was still alive, i'm sure he would have had hope, just like when he found out he had a child years down the line, hope within him grew

Antpocalypse likes this.
  5. Jedi of Baker Street

Jedi of Baker Street Jedi Master star 1

Dec 28, 2015

1) Yes
    2) Yes
    3) Yes

6. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    I'm surprised that in these theories many people estimate that Padme will be somehow... passive. I think she would never give up and she would always try to bring Anakin back to the good side that would put her again in mortal danger, because in this case the Emperor quickly would loose his influence on Darth Vader. And Palpatine would never hesitate to exterminate the obstacles in his way. I think the children would be in mortal danger too and couldn't stay with their mother anyway.
    Also, I'm not sure if and when Obi Wan would forgive Anakin. Until his last breath he was convinced that is impossible to back from the Dark Side. If he wouldn’t he never would go to Mustafar. But he went.

7. lord_sidious_

lord_sidious_ Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 19, 2019
    I'm not sure if she'll continue trying to turn him back. She already backed away from him near the end of the Mustafar conversation. She has to try to keep the babies safe, but she wouldn't want to part with them either. I think she would raise the children in a remote planet, in hopes that they can live a peaceful life, uninvolved with the political conflicts. She would not want them in a life-or-death fight against their own father.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  8. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    If Padme survived, Anakin wouldn't have had prophetic visions of her dying, so he'd have no reason to turn to the dark side in the first place.

9. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    No she just disagreed with him about his path. Her last words to him directly was I love you. Then came her shock of seeing Obi Wan. Padme never looses hope. That is her biggest strength.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I think if she hadn't died Palpatine would have had her killed so she wouldn't be an impediment to Anakin being Darth Vader.

WayoftheJedi and Emperor Ferus like this.
  11. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    ^ Well, I think the only person Palpatine would assign that task to would be Vader in order to further him being Darth Vader. And the kids would either be taken in as Sithlings or killed.

However, I'm thinking Anakin/Vader wouldn't be able to bring himself to do this.

This is why the story requires Padmé to die the way she does.
    Palpatine needs her death directly linked to Anakin so he will blame himself and fall further to the dark side in anguish and despair.
    And though tragic, it ended up being the best way to keep the kids secret. Vader and/or Palpatine would've eventually been able to track Padmé down.

No, she wouldn't have stayed with Vader or anything, but yes, she wouldn't have given up trying to find ways to somehow save him.

The fact the kids were kept secret and lived to redeem Anakin was in a way partly Padmé's way of turning him back.

But with all that said, as @Count Yubnub eluded to, the only way for her to have survived would've been if Anakin hadn't chosen to go to the dark side; thus avoiding turning his vision of her death in childbirth into a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    Tonyg likes this.
  12. lord_sidious_

Feb 19, 2019
    My impression of the I love you line was a last, desperate attempt to turn him back. She knew there was minimal chance of it working, hence the tears. She already backed away from him and told him that he's going down a path she can not follow.
    She will still love him and believe that there is still good deep down in him, but I believe she will physically leave him and raise their children herself. Maybe after the children are grown up and can live independently, she might make another attempt.

13. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    No desperation, but more like fear that she is loosing him. I don't think she would give up on him ever, that is the first problem that would put her in mortal danger anyway. The second is that he wouldn't give up on her: we saw this in the movie (Anakin woke up with limbs cut, burned completely and asked: where is Padme). Palpatine wouldn't be happy on this.The third problem are the children: with or without Padme they would be a danger for the Emperor. They were separated and hidden not because their mother is dead but because the Sith should not be aware of them. So for their own good Padme would be forced not just to hide but to live separated from her children.

14. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    She would have been a better, more consistent character.

In universe, she may or may not lose hope of redeeming her husband as he carries out acts of terror against Jedi survivors as well as dissenting worlds per Palpatine's orders. We can't say for sure whether her faith in Anakin would continue this far, especially as his crimes become increasingly heinous.

She would probably disappear and be presumed dead by the Empire, except for Vader.

15. lord_sidious_

Feb 19, 2019
    Yeah I agree Vader and Sidious would look for her if they knew she was alive, I was just going by the hypothetical scenario where she survives but they don't know about it.

I was debating with myself too whether she would agree to separating the children. She might believe that hiding in a remote planet is safe enough, and even IF they get caught, she can figure out a way for them to escape (perhaps at the expense of her own life).
    If she does agree to separating the children, I think she will still raise one of them, and keep contact with the foster parents of the other. She would choose someone not involved in the political struggles.

Tonyg likes this.
  16. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    In an earlier version of the RotJ script the mother did live for some time after giving birth.
    And she apparently did not protest the children being split up, Luke going with Obi-Wan and she went with Leia to Alderaan and lived there with her for a few years.
    Leia was adopted but that was not generally known so it seems that the galaxy saw Leia as Bail's actual daughter.
    If the mother was known as Bail's wife I am not sure of, it was some time since I read that script.

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface

17. WayoftheJedi

WayoftheJedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 12, 2019
    1) he would have returned to the good side.
    2) they would have forgiven him but still would have punished him .exile to the unknown regions.could be Kylos fate too.
    3) Obi-Wan would have become their godfather and a good friend to Padme.

18. CLee

CLee Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 18, 2017
    The best case scenario is probably that he would give up on both Palpatine/the Sith and the Jedi and, as she wanted him to, retire with her to Naboo. Maybe eventually start to fight Palpatine and the Empire after a few years of realizing how bad the Empire was.

Padme would, Obi-Wan could if he thought it was sincere and strong re-commitment, one that involved sacrifice, as he eventually did in sacrificing his life.

Obi-Wan still has some aversion to attachments (though he and Yoda softened at least somewhat, saw family bonding as positive) so wouldn't want to raise babies, instead have parents raise them and then at some time turn them over to him to train them. No, he probably wouldn't tell the truth.

I think it's pretty implied that the Larses refused to give over Luke for training when Obi-Wan wanted them to earlier, not sure why he didn't train Leia earlier other than him assuming women weren't as strong or not initially knowing there was a female child or thinking Leia would be more useful as a politician.

That would make him seem pretty hypocritical at best.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  19. lord_sidious_

Feb 19, 2019
    Wow I'm glad they changed that. It doesn't feel right to me that Padme would be ok with Leia being raised by a leader of the Rebellion, which naturally could lead to Leia following her foster father's footsteps and fighting her biological father to the death.

Retiring to Naboo isn't really an option. They would have to hide in the some remote planet and constantly be on the look out for the Empire's spies. Sidious would do everything in his power to hunt them down. It would likely be the largest manhunt in galactic history.
    Note this only applies if Padme is an orphan like Anakin. If she has a family that Sidious can take as hostage, then hiding isn't much of an option either. Sidious would kill them all if Anakin doesn't come back.

Tonyg likes this.
  20. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    A deleted scene in Attack of the Clones suggests that Padmé still has family. We even see them during the funeral. If she survived, they would be in tremendous danger.

21. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    That is the main reason that they don't know about the children. I have always thought that Bail would tell them when the children are safe (at least old enough to protect themselves) but for obvious reasons this never happened.

22. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Padmé’s parents would either be very old, or died of old age by the time of A New Hope. Her sister, however? Not sure.

23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Tonyg likes this.
  24. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    In the deleted scenes they don't appear to be much older than 40 if I remember correctly. So by ANH they should be in their 60s. Besides, in a technologically much advanced world such as the SW universe we can assume that medicine is equally advanced. In fact we have proof of that even in the movies. So dying of "old age" in the 60s or even 70s seems highly unlikely to me, even more unlikely for members of a royal family who could afford any kind of treatment. But honestly I don't think Sidious would have been interested in getting them. He achieved his goal to become the absolute ruler in the known galaxy. Why bother with tracing every single family member of everyone Anakin ever knew? They wiped out the Jedi, so what did they have to fear after that? That Vader was so "obsessed with finding young Skywalker" much later was more a personal thing. He could easily have gone to Naboo and threaten or kill Padmé's family, but there is nothing to indicate he ever did, unless it's EU which doesn't count.

Tonyg likes this.
  25. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Obvious reasons=Bail died during the destruction of Alderaan. I think this was the main obstacle.