main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT What would have happened if Yoda had joined the Rebels after his exile?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Mace Windu's Cousin, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    So as long as he's not in close proximity to Vader or Palpatine and/or he has lots of lifeforms surrounding him, Yoda could have participated in the rebel alliance without detection.

That's what I've been saying.

If you are genuinely worried about dignity, try reading posts (including your own) before making snarky replies. I said she didn't use her father's name.

Leia couldn't use her father's name because she couldn't meet Obi Wan in person? I must have missed the meeting where it was decided it's quicker to not tell an addressee you've never met before exactly who the message comes from., e.g. "Bail Organa", or "the senator for Alderann".

Also. Why say she didn't have time for anything else and therefore right not to squeeze his name in then attempt to score points by pointing out that she did say Obi Wan's name?

Exile and disappearing until the time is right are not the same things. That's why there are two separate conversations with different lines.

Strongbow No I don't believe that Obi Wan and Yoda believed they were out of it either. But there is absolutely no indication in the original trilogy, particularly in ANH, that any preparations were made or that a likely "right" time was projected or anticipated. Obi Wan is taken by surprise hearing his proper name. Bail has to beg Obi Wan's help after 19 years of the rebel alliance as if it was a shot in the dark. No amount half-assed, retconned and unforeseen conditions for them being unable to participate changes the state of affairs that the OT presented.

Tosche_Station likes this.
  2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Obi-wan realizes that she is Bail's daughter, because he is the only other person who knows where he is. And as she said, he served him during the war. You're acting as if he is an idiot who cannot figure it out. She doesn't need to score points.

And yes, the plan by Lucas was that the Jedi characters choose to go into hiding until the time is right. In the first draft, the Starkillers are in hiding until they're found by a Sith which forces them to come out of exile. In the second draft, Luke's brother sends the droids to fetch Luke and the Kaiber crystal to help their father. In the third draft, Ben has been watching over Luke and his mother, but she died when he was young and he agrees to leave with Luke, when the droids find Luke. In the final film, they're coming to Obi-wan at their most desperate need. Obi-wan is surprised to hear his name because Luke doesn't know it and he knows that Owen would never tell him that. He's surprised to hear Luke say that and he realizes that the Astromech with Luke, who claims to know him, was sent to find him specifically.

If there is a shot in the dark, it's whether or not he's still alive and will help them, if he is.

3. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    No I'm acting like someone who thinks that the message is perhaps too important to employ unnecessary brevity or be unnecessarily coy.

What do you mean "She doesn't need to score points"? You're just careening into a succession of non-sequiturs now.

4. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The message is clear and to the point, enough so that Obi-wan understood what was being required of him. What, pray tell, should the message sound like?

5. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    A message usually tells the addressee who it's from. Particularly if it's asking them to complete a dangerous and important mission.

6. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Princess Leia Organa: General Kenobi. Years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars. Now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire. I regret that I am unable to present my father's request to you in person, but my ship has fallen under attack, and I'm afraid my mission to bring you to Alderaan has failed. I have placed information vital to the survival of the Rebellion into the memory systems of this R2 unit. My father will know how to retrieve it. You must see this droid safely delivered to him on Alderaan. This is our most desperate hour. Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope.

Seems perfectly clear to me who she is referring to.

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It includes Alderaan in it - so Obi-Wan knows that "my father's" Rebel group are on Alderaan where the plans are to be delivered. Combine with "served my father in the clone wars" and ROTS, and it becomes pretty blatant.

That said, the novelization did have Leia include Bail' name and title. Maybe the scene was cut down from an older shooting script?

Novel version:

"General Obi-Wan Kenobi, I present myself in the name of the world family of Alderaan and of the Alliance to Restore the Republic. I break your solitude at the bidding of my father, Bail Organa, Viceroy and First Chairman of the Alderaan system. Years ago, General, you served the Old Republic in the Clone Wars. Now my father begs you to aid us again in our most desperate hour. He would have you join him on Alderaan. You must go to him. I regret that I am unable to present my father's request to you in person. My mission to meet personally with you has failed. Hence I have been forced to resort to this secondary method of communication. Information vital to the survival of the Alliance has been secured in the mind of this Detoo droid. My father will know how to retrieve it. I plead with you to see this unit safely delivered to Alderaan. You must help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You are my last hope. I will be captured by agents of the Empire. They will learn nothing from me. Everything to be learned lies locked in the memory cells of this droid. Do not fail us, Obi-Wan Kenobi. Do not fail me."

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  8. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Don't think so. This was in the 1976 draft, dated January 1st.

LEIA: "Commander, you served my father in the Clone War and now I beg you to aid us in our most desperate hour. It is of vital importance that you see this R-2 unit safely delivered to Alderaan. Please help me, you are my only hope."

LUKE: "Who is she?"

BEN: "Leia Organa. Her father was once the ruler of Alderaan. I’m afraid I’m getting too old for this sort of thing."

And this was the third draft, from August 1st, 1975.

LEIA: "Whoever finds this message, I beg you see this R-2 unit delivered safely to the authorities on Organa Major. It is of the most vital importance to all free systems. I guarantee in the name of the United Assembly that you will be richly rewarded for your efforts… My Commanders, use fix Arra Code… X loc tan too nine, I am lost. The Sith Lord will surely take me to Alderaan. You must continue alone…"

The third draft was definitely a shot in the dark message, as it was addressed to anyone who found it and was hopefully a compassionate individual. Lucas fixed by having it be addressed to Obi-wan, indicating an intentional search which goes back to the second draft, where Luke's brother was looking for him. Katz and Hyuck had to be responsible for what it became, but Lucas also said that he tweeked their rewrites. So I wager that Foster's version might have been either the first revised version before Lucas did another pass, or was of his own pen.

9. CLee

CLee Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 18, 2017
    I don't see how Yoda would join the Rebels, if he did he would be a pretty different character. He did support the idea of helping the Rebels/fighting the Empire/restoring democracy but he thought it was much more important and efficient for the Jedi to return in a pure and incorruptible form, he was aware of errors he had made in the past but his response was to become more devout and secluded.

If he had played a big role in the Rebellion I think he would have expected to be at least one of the leaders which could have alienated other potential members.