Tucson What would it take to make a real Light Saber?

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Vangarian, Dec 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: DieWompRatDie
  1. Vangarian Jedi Master

star 4
    I propose a discussion on what it would take to make a real honest to goodness Light Saber? Same abilities as the movies and novels. I'll be throwing in my two cents on this shortly as time allows. (Right now however, I'm due to crash in prep for a delivery for 5:00 a.m., so...I'll be back.

Vangarian out
  2. TI-525 Jedi Youngling

star 2
    well you couldnt call it a lightsaber you would get sued
    so the best bet would be to sell it as a logging tool
    but it is impossible to make a real lightsaber
    some professer smart dude was on attack of the show one time and proved it was impossible
    but you can destroy a planet with a laser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  3. NightwalkerSabers Jedi Youngling

Well We have checked out alot of things, pertaining to this matter, the problem is the "lazer beam" being focused to a dircet point, and stopping is almost impossible when we get the info we have found we will post it asap!!!! There are ways to do this but it is very costly,and the hilt would be enourmous!!!!!!! I am game for any ideas also I have a theory......but as you know its just a thought.
  4. timstephens4 Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Being a chemistry major, one of my classes is how to recognize falsehoods in scientific arguments. One of the first things I learned is that extaroridanry theories requires extraordinary proof. Saying something is impossible is a very definate, extraordinary theory. In fact, there is plenty of evidence saying we can build a lightsaber, we just don't know how to do it. A lightsaber is possible and obeys the known laws of physics and the universe. Every Physics text book, and several professors have told me that a lightsaber is not possible at this time, but in the future, it might become a reality when we can build the devices needed. There are just a few things that need to be invented first.

-A plasma emitter that can emit plasma at the proper distance to be seen as a blade
    -Something to protect the user from the extreme temperature of the plasma
    -A power supply that can power the plasme emitter for a long time
    -A magnetic field to maintain the blade
    -A safety devise that shuts the lightsaber down when the magnetic field is compromised
    -All of the above must fit into the hilt, and be lightweight enough to carry

As of right now, these are just theories and these may not even work on an actual lightsaber. In fact, scientists have built all of these devices separately, they just have not made them lightsaber caliber. I believe I read that the plasma emitter that can project a plasma the farthest takes up half a room (not sure the size of the room). I don't think we want to carry that around and fight bad guys.

There is actually a book out called 'The Science of Star Wars' that explains limitations and flashoods scientifically within the SW Universe. However, this book is a bit old, and some of its proposals have been proven wrong. The book was published in 1999. One theory that had a lot of evidence supporting it was that a planet cannot exist in a solar system with more than one star, but that was proven wrong. I believe Hal found an article that says NASA found a planet orbiting a trinary system. I have not read all of it, but have read some. I found it a good read, but then again I am a science major. Hope this helps.
  5. TI-525 Jedi Youngling

star 2
    yeah but if we get sued because some geek decides to put on his jedi garb and slices his arm off thats his fault
  6. cathiecat Jedi Master

star 4
    I think that getting sued would not even come into it.. GL was be so ecstatic that someone managed to pull off a real one.. when you look at it.. GL is pretty lenient on copyright laws.. or so it would appear.. granted one should not take advantage of the situation.. but I doubt on this GL would care to prosecute.

also.. it is pretty much a guarantee that somewhere out there .. several groups are working to become the very first to master a REAL lightsaber.

I myself am not talented in machinery... so obviously it won't be me.. but hey... I am sure I have as good an opportunity as the next guy to know the soul that does accomplish this feat.
  7. Vangarian Jedi Master

star 4
    Ok, I'm back, at least for a while.

Power source: Please look up [link=www.searleffect.com][/link] for a look at an invention that has been all but ignored here in the United States. If properly down sized and set up in series such a device would be able to operate in overdrive within a handle of a "LightSaber". Overdrive causes the temperature to drop to 90 degrees Kelvin and less as the generator's rings and rollers draw off heat much like a nitrogen bottle venting compressed nitrogen gas. Super conductivity would result, thus no resistance to the current. The only short coming that I'm aware of is that when an object becomes superconductive, it becomes super antigravitic. (Recall the discovery of super conductive wafers cooled by liquid nitrogen back in the 1980s and how they affected magnets in their proximity.) At least that's what happened to Mr. Searl's first successful generator. This was due to the fact that the superconductor was interacting with the earth's magnetic field :) I'll be back with more insights, commentary and theories later. We've still got other technological hurdles to jump.

Vangarian out.
  8. cathiecat Jedi Master

star 4
    I know what Kelvin is.. but admittedly not much else.. I am going to do my best to participate though.. I will go to the link mentioned and give my humble thoughts..
  9. TI-525 Jedi Youngling

star 2
    um are we actually gonna try to do this?
    and if so goood luck to ya
  10. cathiecat Jedi Master

star 4
    who is to say.. but it is fun to discuss the possibilities.
  11. cathiecat Jedi Master

star 4
    as I said.. I don't know much about this subject.. but I have been reading the link you supplied.. in my limited ability.. is this saying that there is a way to create energy by using magnetics. it seems plausible for sure.. why has the United States chosen to ignore this technology.
  12. timstephens4 Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Actually, we use magnets to run every power generator on the planet. An electric generator is nothing more than coils of wires, with a magnet rotating on the wires. What rotates the magnet is what gives the generator its name. The rotating magnet creates an electric current that is then used to power everything else. That "new" flashlight I see on TV a lot that never needs batteries uses a similar concept. It is just a magnet and a coil of wire that powers the light. This is actually one of the first concepts of electricity I learned in Physics. It is one of the most simple and efficient ways to create electricity. I have not read any of the articles, so this may not even be what you meant, but we do use magnets to create electricity all the time.
  13. cathiecat Jedi Master

star 4
    it is from the link Vangarian posted.. [link=http://www.Searleffect.com]here's the link again.. in case you missed it[/link]

I don't know if that is what I meant or not.. you would have to look at the link.. I am not sure I even took from it what was intended.. I studied history and english in college.. no science or mathamatics beyond the basics. Guess I should have.. but I was going into journalism originally. Funny.. I wound up getting married instead
  14. thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Padawan

star 4
    As someone with a history major background (earth science minor), I will offer up my opinion. As heretical as it may sound, a working, fully-functional lightsaber is NOT PRACTICAL!
    Think about it. It is only the Jedi's training and ability to use and/or manipulate the force that makes the lightsaber a "useable" weapon. Without that training and ability, the lightsaber is obsolete, an antique best kept displayed over the mantle and passed down from generation to generation. If it is such a great weapon, how come no non-Jedi use it? It is as outdated to the common joe or josie involved in the wars in the STAR WARS universe as swords are in our age of firearms. If you still aren't convinced, you can have a fully-funtional lightsaber and, ten feet away, I will have an AK-47. Your blade is on, my safety is off and my finger is on the trigger. Who do you think is going to walk away?

Cut through walls? So will a shaped-explosive charge.

I will readily concede the point that R&D along the lines of lightsaber technology could lead to practical applications elsewhere (medical surgury, perhaps), but as a weapon of war, blasters would be more practical.

Would I love to have a fully-funtional lightsaber? YEAH, sure!!
  15. cathiecat Jedi Master

star 4
    speaking on the thread of thinking that MrWookie just posted. I will say that unless you had the power of the force behind you.. a blaster would be better.. no one without the force guiding them would be able to repel gun fire with a lightsaber.. mere practice wouldn't cut it.. or so I think.. you would have to be an extraordinary person of perception and will to weild a lightsaber.. .. perhaps there exists such a soul.. but definitely far fewer than the actual Jedi turned out to be.

Just picture Indiana Jones and the machete carrying warrior in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

I still want to build a real lightsaber though.
  16. Vangarian Jedi Master

star 4
    OK. Back again. It does my heart good that so many are participating, (in one way or another) on this forum topic. Now for the "blade". I'm inclined to lean in the direction of a special Laser focused into a narrow cone with a laser beam focused up the center and aimed at the tip where the laser cone's tip would form the point of the "blade". Further I'd use the pulsed frequency necessary to ionize the air molecules around both lasers. Then I'd provide a powerful electrical charge from the series circuited Searl Effect Generators up the center laser and use the cone laser as a return circuit back to the SEGs. With a strong magnetic field formed by a room temperature superconductive material (say crystalized hydrogen) at the hilt area. Has anyone out there come across any break throughs in Laser manipulation and focusing of the sort I'm discribing? It seems to me that I've seen the Japenese do some amazing things with lasers as far as a circular emission that was hollow in the center. comments?

Vangarian on stand by :)

PS By the way the, Searl Effect Generator when in over drive generates more than 14 million volts of electricity. The reason I say that is because Professor Searl took measurments while gradually upping the speed of his first successful generator's rotational speed. The last measurement he took was 12 million volts. After that he upped the diesel motor's speed only to find that the generator's rotational speed didn't level off, but continued to climb. Further, the generator rose up out of its cradle and broke free from the power transfer coupling, all the while speeding up more and more. It then rose up to tree top level and ionized the air around it, causing it to glow and discharge electricity similarly to a Tesla coil. As the air was ionized more and more, it was pushed outward away from the generator by magnetic flux lines and the Columb effect. When the last of the air was ionized the last of the resistance was gone. At this point the generator achieved zero apparent mass and shot straight up into outer space. It was never seen by young Mr. Searl again. All this having been started because the generator was becoming colder and colder until it reached the critical temperature of 90 degrees (kelvin) above absolute zero, thus resulting in near zero resistance in the circuit. Less resistance = faster rotation, which = even lower temperature, which = even less resistance, which = even faster rotation, etc. An Uber chain reaction to say the least resulting in overunity (more energy being put out than what was put in initially.)
  17. cathiecat Jedi Master

star 4
    Once I sleep for several hours.. I will attempt to understand this latest post.. in the meantime.. I know Jake will enjoy reading it.
  18. TI-525 Jedi Youngling

star 2
    well now you dont need the force to turn on the saber so its not exactly obsolete
    you turn it on by a buttion
    a blaster would be a more practical weapon
    but wielding is and always will be a different story......
    you need to be like a black belt times like 1 million
  19. Vangarian Jedi Master

star 4
    But as I recall, this thread was titled, "What would it take to make a Light Saber?".

Ok. That was a bump. ;)

I'm off to check on all things laser and such for some tech support on the subject.

I'll be back. [face_peace]
  20. Vangarian Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, I've got some more information that seems to be heading in my general direction of thought.

Here is the web site: www.exn.ca/starwars/lightsaber.cfn

I believe it should serve as further enlightenment when it comes to the laser portion of this thread's discussion.

Vangarian out, for now.
  21. Vangarian Jedi Master

star 4
    So has anyone checked out the latest website I listed for this thread?
  22. timstephens4 Jedi Youngling

star 2
    The link doesn't seem to work for me. I get a "We're sorry, we can't find that page" thing when I try to open the link.
  23. MasterJediDragonSir Jedi Padawan

star 4
    hello there. I get the same thing when I attempt to look up this link as well.
  24. cathiecat Jedi Master

star 4
    the same thing happened to me when I tried it..
  25. Mugen Jedi Padawan

star 4
    To create a real lightsaber to the spects we are thinking, we would need alien technology that we cannot yet comprehend. Soon maybe...but just not possible as of today. :(
Moderators: DieWompRatDie
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.