main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson What would it take to make a real Light Saber?

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Vangarian, Dec 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    I think it is possible with today's science.. but not sure how.. though they have already created laser beams.. just have to find a way to shorten the beam.. so it is not continous.. or so I think that is the problem.

2. TI-525

TI-525 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 30, 2005
    watch AOTS
    (attack of the show on G4 im tellin ya you would have to find the rerun but.....just try to watch it if you can,probly find it at the website www.g4.com)

3. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    what is in this show.. how to make lightsabers

4. Mugen

Mugen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 7, 2005
    you are not understanding Cat. For what we picture being a lightsaber in all aspects....we DO NOT have the technology as of yet. Think this out before you anwswer....focusing crystal, deflection emitter, power cell so it fits within a hilt, a hilt that will not super heat youre hands off, wire that will also stand up to the internal temps, a blade length adjust, the means to stop the plasma so that it will not continuously fly through space..and piss off some alien race so they come and kill us all.....once more...WE DONT HAVE THE MEANS TO MAKE WHAT WE WOULD CONSIDER A LIGHTSABER....yet.

5. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005

laser technology is being used everyday in medical and military fields.. just no way at the moment to harness the energy into a short beam. Let alone a beam that would last for the amount of time required.. most likely.. but the laser technology is there.. just in a different way at the moment.. we don't need the alien technology.. we just have to advance the technology we already possess.

though not me personally. .. but I have been reading up on this stuff.. I'm not just shooting off unknown facts.. laser technology is already a fact.. not a myth, just the way the beam is harnessed for a larger blade is what is needed..lasers are used in dermatology, Lasik's eye surgery, some ulcer surgeries, some angina patients, and laproscopies to just name a few ways the actual cutting laser beam is used..

the technology is already being used..it's not a matter of if someone can create.the technology to do it.. but when they will create the technology to do it..

we have already found a way to keep a doctors hand from burning off while he wields a laser, and they already have found the small power cell.. as it is in the laser the doctor uses.. or the doctor would not have the laser to use..

while this is not the same as a lightsaber.. it is a laser beam being used to cut and cauterize as well.. the same thing a lightsaber does.. only on a much smaller scale at the moment.

6. Mugen

May 7, 2005
    A laser is a beam of light that will burn at the contact tip. Where ever the beam focuses it can burn or cut...not on the edge like a sword. To have a lightsaber "Blade" the only source you could use to do what a lightsaber does is plasma, not a laser. There is no way that you could contain plasma in a metal tube the size of a pipe its just not possible, yet. Damn.

And the alien technology talk was a jest...but you just confirmed what I said. We dont have the tech...yet. ty

7. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I'm not saying at this moment an exact lightsaber is possible.. I am saying that at this moment the technology is most likely there..as we are already using lasers in real life.. though when SW came out.. there was no laser surgery.. it was still a work in progress.. by the same token.. the technology was there.. they just did not know how to use it yet.. the same applies to the lightsaber, they have to discover how to use the technology.. they are already working on it.. though why is another story, well.. that is not true.. the why of having a laser blade.. it could be extremely useful in factories.. the blade could serve many useful purposes.. though as a weapon.. I still agree with Jack.

nah.. I didn't confirm.. cause I think we already have the technology.. we just don't know how to do it yet.. I am speaking of technology in the sense that we have the parts that go together.. but putting them together .. no one has figured that out yet.

8. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    Dr. Marc Nantel of Photonics Research Ontario said this about making a lightsaber...

"Laser beams are parallel rays of light - they'll go very far at the same intensity. That's what they're good for," begins Nantel. "If you put a lens in the way, you can bend the rays of light so that they converge to a focal point. After that the rays start diverging. The intensity will get weaker and weaker the further you go from your focus."

Nantel explains that you can get more intensity from the same laser when you converge on a single point rather than simply beam parallel rays. By the same token, if you use what he calls a "strong" lens, one with a very short focal length, you get a stronger cutting focal point than if the focus converges over a longer distance. Nantel himself uses a 12 watt laser that has to be tightly focused on the object he is cutting. The rays of light converge very quickly, then diverge only a short distance behind the target plane.

But a laser that focuses less sharply, in more of a "tall" X shape rather than a "short" X shape, will still remain hot along a longer length, though its focal point will never get quite as hot as it would if it was more sharply focused. "At the very focus point is where it's going to cut best, but near the focal point it will cut too, as long as you're above the damage threshold of what you're trying to cut." You would have, in effect, a laser with a limited length over which it would be able to cut through objects. Just which objects would depend on how strong your power source was."

Brahm Rosensweig said this in response..

Well, it's not quite a lightsaber, but it's a laser blade that can chop someone's head off without burning a hole in the ceiling. There's only a few problems left. One is the issue of reflective surfaces. If you shone the blade into a concave reflective surface, it could refocus at some unknown point and burn something unintended, possibly yourself. When we see our reflection in a spoon, Nantel explains, our face appears upside down because it has become refocused by the concave reflective surface. "Don't use the weapon in a kitchen," he cautions.

Then there's the problem of an adequate power supply. As technology goes nowadays, we simply can't cram sufficient power into the handle of a lightsaber to output a searing laser. But who knows what the future may hold? As Nantel points out, "Nobody would have thought a laser pointer would be possible when the first laser was such a clunky thing, but now we have laser pointers powerful enough to cause damage to someone's eye."

Cathiecat said..

so they are saying that while it in fact already exists.. it is not a very good one.. and needs more time and yes.. technology to make it more feasable.. and again.. it was mentioned the error of making one in that it would likely be dangerous to have.

now I gotta go do some more research...

9. Mugen

May 7, 2005
    Now you're contradicting yourself... You originally said that we had the means and technology to create a lightsaber. I responded with "not yet" .....but you are still not getting it. A Hand held device about 2" diameter, 10-12" in length with a plasma..not laser blade that is just that(a blade)can cut and pierce through any metal or material,has blade emitter, and focus crystal and have the power contained within its hilt is not pheaseable....you can quote whatever you want,read 50 books about it, but its still going to come out to the same thing...We DONT have the technology to do this yet. I know there are lasers in the world that can do any number of things...but this is all about whether or not we have the tech to make on now. I say no. I wish the technology was here, and we were able to do this.....it would be the coolest thing, but alas...we dont...YET.

but I am done with this, this grows tiresome I-)

10. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I disagree. but that is just the way it is. In any case.. I feel good.. I am actually participating.. and researching the subject.

11. TI-525

Oct 30, 2005
    no
    theres an episode where a scientist/some other samrt jobs
    but he was on there and explained alot of how we cannot create a lightsaber
    he also explained how he used to work with hydrogen bombs and lasers and such yada yada yada
    we cAN BLOW UP OTHER PLANETS
    blah blah blah

12. Vangarian

Vangarian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2003
    Yes I know that dude. Wasn't he the one that was hanging around nagging the wright bros saying, "if man was ment to fly he'd have wings."? Yada, yada, yada. ;)

Ok so back to the Searl web site for those of you who don't think we have a potent enough power source. [face_frustrated]

Vangarian out.

13. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    It would take someone with allot of venture capital to find out what the commercial application (or military) would be and how much it would make them to even get the ideas any further than "just" paper and theory.

14. TI-525

Oct 30, 2005
    Yes I know that dude. Wasn't he the one that was hanging around nagging the wright bros saying, "if man was ment to fly he'd have wings."? Yada, yada, yada. eh eh eh e he he no

no
    i actually believe this guy
    i mean come on
    somethings are better left alone
    flight was not one of those things
    we dont have the technology and we cant make one
    if anyone does ever ill give them a standing ovation
    but right now no

15. MasterJediDragonSir

MasterJediDragonSir Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    I tend to agree with Jack,(and Han Solo), that there is no match for a good blaster. I think that even though all the components of lightsabers are around, no one has figured out how to put them all together and make a woking saber.... We are a lot closer to making a working blaster(s) (and "phaser(s)" (Star Trek)),than we are lightsabers.....They already have particle beam lasers capable of locking on a target, say a missle, and destroying it in mid flight...speaking in referrence to the Strategic Defence Iniative or "Star Wars" Project proposed by Ronald Reagan back in the 80's.......tests weren't that acurate, but the technology is there.....I don't know how acurate they are now or if they are still in research, but like I said blasters will come first:D
    I'd like to have a working lightsaber as much as anyone, but I think it will take a while for scientists to figure out how to control the plasma so it forms a "blade", and put it in a small package; such as a hilt.
    Well, that's my outlook on the subject for now.
    TTYL

16. TI-525

Oct 30, 2005
    in fact the guy on AOTS
    almost said that whole exact thing thats crazy
    but he gave more explanations and alot more info
    but hes right

17. Vangarian

Mar 9, 2003
    Gentlemen, with all due respect for your opinions on what can and cannot be done with a lightsaber using current technology, I would like to point out that this is not an impossibility. For instance, current laser technology already has produced the edge emitting lasers. These lasers emit an edge on stream of laser light that can be focused into a long cone. Now it is a fact that we have current technology that can be used in lasers to pulse them at a high frequency and thus ionize nitrogen in the atmosphere. When you do this you can more easily manipulate the ionized electrons and guide them down the beam as a light quided Taser. Now, let's take this a step further. It is a fact that if you collide two lasers, you cancel them out at the point of intersection, where they revert to ambiant light. Now I stated earlier that a cone shaped laser, prefocused by the edge emitting laser, (in this case) could be intersected by a normal center emitting laser aimed up the middle from the hilt to the point of intersection. Hey guys here's your length of rod for your lightsaber. This then would bring about the needed cancelation of the two beams and eliminate the length problem. I also stated earlier if you conveyed the electrical charge up the middle of the pulsed center laser and used the outer cone shaped laser as your ground return you can have the circuit return to the in series circuited Searl Effect Generators. Now, I've already made mention of the sheer power of those SEGs when they go into over drive. And of that I'm dead serious! :mad: Lasers of high power are currently used to temper and align cylinder bores of diesel motors used for diesel electric trains. They are very dangerous, so much so that they are always pointed downward to prevent an accident. If you were to convey eletrons along the length of a laser of that sheer power, whether the center emitted variety or cone shaped edge emitting variety, they are going to be excited enough to convey some uber heat. The natural tendency of the electrons is to repel everything else. That is your columb effect this can be your means of super heating things on contact and at the same time bringing about ridgidity. Yes experimentation is obviously in order to bring it all together but it is definately do-able. Now is there any body out there who is catching the fire?

Vangarian out.

18. TI-525

Oct 30, 2005
    ok but since we dont have the technology as of yet
    why are we worrying about it now?
    if you know we dont, why do we keep on discussing the impossible for our technology
    its not gonna happen anytime soon
    and......blasters will come first and i seriously doubt anyone will be able to wield a lightsaber without havin a bad accident
    and third of all the blaster would be a better weapon for war fare
    if we did invent the lightsaber the combat would be hand to hand close type of combat
    not many soldiers will be able to do that with a saber
    will you be able to ricochet blaster fire off of our sabers...probly not dude
    man was meant to fly but he was not meant to make a lightsaber....ok not yet and we all know it

19. Vangarian

Mar 9, 2003
    What do you mean we don't have the technology yet? :)
    If you have such a passion for Blasters TI-525 why not start a thread on "What would it take to make a real blaster?" ;)

Now as for a Lightsaber being useless there is nothing to say that its length has to be limited to one meter or even three as with the great lightsaber. Its length can be as long or short as one wishes. That can be done with a lense for crying out loud. Sheesh what's the big deal you make it seem so hard. But I can see that on this subject we can agree that we disagree. Never the less no hard feelings towards you TI-525. With sincere respect to you and all others who are not yet convinced. [face_peace]

Sincerely, Vangarian

20. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I somehow have the feeling Vangarian.. that you and I are in the minority.. with MasterJediDragonSir coming around to our way of thinking little by little.. but we may never get the others on board.. either way.. what you said about cones and the like.. I read this the other day on the canadian research site.. but for the life of me I can't find this link now.

21. TI-525

Oct 30, 2005
    im sorry but why do we even care about the sabers so much?
    i dont care about blasters that much same with sabers
    the blasters will come first
    for shizzle

22. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    it's simply for the sake of discussion.. it is fun to think and discuss about the idea of working lightsabers, for no other reason.. than just enjoyment.

23. Mugen

May 7, 2005
    ()))))))))()))))))))))))))))))))))))

yes, I love to talk about sabers....I will love to whack you with mine, when I get my Nightwalker Sabers. [face_beatup]

24. Vangarian

Mar 9, 2003
    To quote a familiar phrase from Alfred E. Newman, with respect to worrying about Light Sabers, "What? Me worry?".

25. TI-525

Oct 30, 2005
    i would love to see you try to hit me with your nightwalker
    you know why......
    cuz i have 2 custome sabers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    you do not want none!!!!!!!!!!!
    and all you who think we can build one....you shouldnt worry yet (i think im under alot of stress because in this whole thread im like bashing...too much stress sorry)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.