main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What Would Mace Windu's Fate Have Been Had Lucas Not Accomodated SLJ?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Darth_Fruit_Fly, Jun 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r8hitman

r8hitman Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2004
    Young fella I think you need to stay in your place and let the man answer his own questions.....when I get ready for you I will let you know.

NOW let's get back on topic and please let SithStarSlayer answer my question.

2. JediCouncilMaster

JediCouncilMaster Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 23, 2005
    All right all right. Carry on.

3. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    Thankyou.

SithStarSlayer??? ......

4. JediCouncilMaster

Jun 23, 2005
    Forget about it he probably ran away since you scared him off, lol jk.

5. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    He'll be back.[face_mischief]

6. prefontaine

prefontaine Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2005

I actually think purple works well for the character, particularly in light of the novel where it is claimed that Windu can be a conduit for the Dark Side of the Force. Naturally, it would fit that his saber color reflects both red and blue, thus giving us purple.

I'm sure it didn't hurt that SLJ also wanted that color...

7. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003

Ahhh.... r8hitman knows me too well from our past clashes in other threads.:oops:
    Good to see you again, my argumentative friend.:eek: [face_mischief] :D

I do enjoy any, and, all robust dialogue.

NOW, to ANSWER you question, I must pose a question: Which of the sources are referring to?
    The OS, various Magazines, online publications and a whole littany of other sources have bits and pieces relating to SLJ and his "PLEA" to Lucas.

All of them have lent some weight to my personal conclusion that SLJ influenced the direction and characterization of Mace Windu.

The fact that the entire scene was re-shot is one of the MAIN reasons I believe SLJ had such input...

Now, I hope we can begin again...

in earnest...

8. legion_of_me

legion_of_me Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 6, 2005
    The presence of an extra ability doesn't automatically mean that Sids is better than Yoda. There's a lot of other factors(i.e Yoda hundreds of years of experience for one)that would weigh into that.

9. farrellg

farrellg Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2005
    The presence of an extra ability doesn't automatically mean that Sids is better than Yoda.

In the Emperor's case, apparantly it does make him "better" than Yoda since that's they exact word Gillard used.

10. legion_of_me

Dec 6, 2005
    Yeah, of course he was screaming. When lightning goes through your body it hurts. The human body wasn't made for that. According to that neanderthal way of thinking, we'd all be punks.

I don't think everyone has the same perception of the word. In SLJ case, he didn't want to go out in a death scene that he perceived to be beneath one of his character's abilities. It's really all about saving face so to speak.

11. legion_of_me

Dec 6, 2005
    I really can't say. He asked that I not use his name and I gotta respect that. I'm not even sure that there is a racial angle to this. Maybe it is racial I don't know.

12. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Yes, I heard somewhere that SLJ offered GL, Mace's hand in exchange for saving his face...:oops:

Just for you r8hitman...
    ;)

13. legion_of_me

Dec 6, 2005
    Vaapad was that form that was on the edge of the darkside. He developed it with the help of two other Jedi. One of which I believe fell to the darkside.

Mace is no pushover like some of the Anakities and Kenobites want to believe. His fight scenes probably should have been done with an expert swordsman for realism.

14. legion_of_me

Dec 6, 2005
    Ok guys, it's only a movie let's lower the testosterone levels a little bit.

15. JediCouncilMaster

Jun 23, 2005
    LOL [face_laugh] Good one. Yeah guys chill out. Cool it. I think SLJ did a good job conveying Windu's character. Excellent. But it was his destiny to fight Sidious and lose.

16. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Mace was cool...

like the other side of a pillow.

17. JediCouncilMaster

Jun 23, 2005
    Totally wrong. Vaapad or otherwise known as Juyo (Form VII) was specifically made by another Jedi. Depa Billaba, Quinlan Vos, Sora Bulq, and Mace Windu performed this task. Depa And Sora fell to the Dark. Quinlan didn't finish the training. And Mace Windu finished it successfully. Simple as that.

18. MystikalMaceWindu

MystikalMaceWindu Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2005
    Hey r8hitman,
    I still remember some people even referring to his first name. MACE. It's a medieval weapon, a spiked ball on chain that gives you big OUCHIES if it hits you.... now, I don't know if they were serious, but, that idea is even more practical than the far crazier stuff people tossed around, and still toss around.
    About the whole Mace is overly aggressive, that's funny, because the Mace bashers lift up every rock, and deem all his acts as being aggressive, but for the likes of Obi-Wan (both young and old), for Yoda, and even for Anakin, they make excuses and justifications for their behavior, as if Obi-Wan wasn't aggressive when he fought and killed Darth Maul, as if Yoda wasn't aggressive when he fought Dooku, or if Obi-Wan wasn't aggressive, etc. etc.
    Jedi are aggressive at times, and not just Mace.

and in addition, let's not forget how many said that Mace was a traitor to the Jedi, while we all know just who exactly are the traitors. Anakin and Palpatine, and, with the PT, Count Dooku. People show more sympathy to Anakin than they do Mace Windu. I thought Mace's death was one of the saddest/shocking/moving moments in the PT, even more so than Anakin's maiming and burning. Mace had the chance to keep the Empire from oppressing the Galaxy, but Anakin helped to kill him. So with the death of Mace, and then Yoda's failure against Sidious, that led to the Emperor oppressing the galaxy. When Anakin was burning up, it was his just desserts. I still find it cool how Obi-Wan carved up Anakin. Too bad he couldn't slice him in half as he did Maul. But Mace? He was doing the right thing. And let's not forget that Mace has that pre-cognitive ability -- he was right about Anakin (about Anakin being so close to Palpatine, and about not being able to trust Anakin) and also about Palpatine (he's too dangerous to be left alive....) and we do see why in both ROTS and the OT.

19. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    NOW, to ANSWER you question, I must pose a question:
    FIRST OF ALL....to answer a question, you dont present another question.[face_tired]

All of them have lent some weight to my personal conclusion that SLJ influenced the direction and characterization of Mace Windu

All of WHAT??? Y'see you say all of this but you STILL havent answered my question. Post SOMETHING that explains this "opinion" that you have about Sam controlling the outcome of his character's death.[face_tired]

EDIT:
    Keep in mind, I'm not asking you to present evidence that explains fact or fiction...I'm asking you to present something that explains why you even think how you think. And this should be easy.

(Unless of course, you really dont have a reason.o_O )

20. JediCouncilMaster

Jun 23, 2005
    Jeez dude, take a breather. No need to get picky. Have a beer or something. The testosterone levels here have gone way too high LOL

21. OriginalJedi320

OriginalJedi320 Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, and Luke would have said, "who the hell is Mace Windu".....LOL. Seriously, I like the character of Mace Windu. Interestingly enough, no one called him by his first name in the movie. He was always referred to as "Master Windu".

22. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    "Picky"???

Is that what it's called now???o_O

[face_laugh]

Truth....Logic....Common Sense....I've heard all of these before but "picky"....[face_thinking] that's a new one.;)

23. JediCouncilMaster

Jun 23, 2005
    lol
    I'm only messing with you. But I hope your reply was a compliment.

24. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003

Nope. That isn't MY post. That's from someone else that I quoted IN my post.

I have read more information about Vapaad than I care to admit. Here is a small sample regarding Juyo, which as you masterfully pointed out JediCouncilMaster, is the basis of Vapaad.

For the record, I co-host a training thread centered on balance(footwork), saber combat, and, fencing styles elsewhere.

Enjoy:

Form VII: Juyo
    Form VII was an incomplete form for millennia. It was further developed by Jedi Master Mace Windu, who could complete it with his Vaapad fighting style. The most challenging and demanding of all forms, Form VII requires intense focus, high levels of skill, and mastery of other forms. Only three Jedi have ever mastered Vaapad fully: Mace Windu, Depa Billaba, and Sora Bulq, who instructed Quinlan Vos in a few of its basics. Sora Bulq helped Windu develop Vaapad, but Bulq and Mace's Padawan, Billaba, proved too weak to master the flow of the light and dark sides, and fell to the dark side. In this way, Vaapad mastered them.

Sometimes used as another name for Form VII itself, Vaapad is in fact a "sub" form of Juyo. Standard Juyo contains sleek, fast movements with strong strikes, whereas Mace Windu's specialized Vaapad focuses the use of the Force and emotion to fuel attacks (which explains why Sora and Depa both fell to the dark side in using it, and explains why Mace Windu decided to attempt to kill Darth Sidious without letting him stand trial) normally used in Juyo. Regular Juyo can be mastered (or at least "sub-mastered") much more easily than Vaapad, but Juyo can never truly be used to its full extent unless training in Vaapad is taken. Standard Juyo is not as powerful as Vaapad, but lessens the risk of falling to the dark side.

Intrepid, somewhat direct movements are used in combination with very advanced techniques involving Force-powered jumps and motions. Form VII does not appear as fancy as Form IV, but the technical details of it use very open movements resulting in a very unpredictable battle style. The staccato swings and flow of the form make it seem as if the attacks are not linked?but in reality, it is merely confusing the opponent.

Form VII demands the emotional and physical intensity of Form V, but it much more effectively controls it (if mastered). Form VII, when fully mastered, results in extraordinary power.

However, Vaapad borders on the edge of using the dark side, as it channels one's anger and darkness into the attack. Only Windu's mastery and concentration of the light side prevents him from succumbing, which is why Vaapad is rarely practiced and very dangerous. As mentioned above, the only two other known practitioners of Vaapad, Sora Bulq and Depa Billaba, both fell to the dark side of the Force.

4000 years before the Clone Wars, Juyo was one of the lightsaber forms that could be used, showing that even though Juyo was incomplete, it was still an effective form for millennia before Mace Windu completed it with Vaapad.

Darth Maul used a variant of Juyo coupled with his knowledge of martial prowess.

Vapaad gives the user a unique position for fighting darksiders, for when mastered, it allows the user to draw upon the dark side's

25. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    :confused:
    I'm confused......what does any of this have to do with my question or the movie?
    (not the novel mind you, THE MOVIE?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.