main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What Would Mace Windu's Fate Have Been Had Lucas Not Accomodated SLJ?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Darth_Fruit_Fly, Jun 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    r8hitman, read the edit of my last post...

I only had time to answer one of you.

Until the morrow...

2. legion_of_me

legion_of_me Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 6, 2005
    I had always thought that Mace developed it. My fault. I stand corrected. Thank You.

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Let's get the facts straight. The Mace vs Sidious duel was not reshot in it's entirity. What was reshot was the everything surrounding the duel. Anakin was originally going to stay in Palpatine's office, having decided to side with him. Mace learns that Palpatine is Sidious from another source, quite possibly Obi-wan who had learned it while on Utapau. Mace and the Posse arrive to arrest Palpatine. Mace tells Anakin to stand beside him, but he doesn't budge. Palpatine then uses the Force to snatch Anakin's saber and attack the Posse. The fight remains virtually the same, except for certain edits to remove as much of Anakin's saber as possible from view. The fight ended with Mace managing to disarm Palpatine, but it never specifies how, just that he does. Anakin is witness to the entire duel. Next, Palpatine fires the Lightning at Mace and it's deflected back, changing his face. Palpatine never says that he's too weak and that he needs Anakin's help. Mace moves in for the kill and Anakin takes up his Lightsaber to attack Mace. Mace dies and Anakin pledges himself to Palpatine, becoming Darth Vader. This is all talked about in "The Making Of Revenge Of The Sith." Lucas was told that he should change it, since it wasn't quite clear that Anakin's struggling to do the right thing. What we see now is what was done in 2004.

The only other change was that Lucas told Gillard that he wanted to change what he had worked out, prior to filming. At least, I recall reading that one.

4. Get_in_Gear

Get_in_Gear Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 29, 2004
    Exactamundo.
    This scene caused Lucas quite a few headaches, in that what Nick Gillard had prepared, didn't really translate easily into the way Lucas wanted to shoot it, and Coleman was trying to convince Lucas that digital replacements may offer a solution to some of the issues.
    The first day of work on this scene pretty much ground to a halt with a discussion about where close-ups of the actors' faces were needed, and the problems this caused.

Much of the footage captured from that version of the scene, however, remains in the film.
    Several shots of Palpatine and Mace have been "zoomed" and recropped to remove Anakin from the frame.
    Others where Anakin was more prominent in the frame, were dropped altogether - and shots of Anakin in the temple/making his way to the office were inserted in their place.
    Very little, if any, of the actual duelling was reshot.
    Just everything after Palpatine is disarmed, and the disarming itself.

5. darthvader88

darthvader88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    LOL![face_laugh]

6. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003

Well, I made an error then.

I should have said, "The fact that the entire sequence of the Posse vs. Sidious was COMPLETELY RE-EDITED..."

Is THAT better?

Anyone who watched the bonus DVD knows about the troubles they encountered when filming, writing, choreographing, and, digitizing those scenes. Poor Gillard had to change it all on the fly.

Besides why wouldn't GL listen to SLJ? I mean he's really Shaft!

7. MystikalMaceWindu

MystikalMaceWindu Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2005
    Now that the discussion here has moved forward a little (I think, err, I hope....), well, i'm going to throw this out here.
    I will first say, i'm a big-time SLJ fan, and I still do think he had the right look/demeanor and coolness for Mace Windu, dating back to Attack of the Clones, I have wondered what it would have been like if Djimon Hounsou (who's younger, and in better physical shape) played Mace Windu. He likely would have brought a slightly different feel to it (perhaps a more worldly humanity while SLJ brings that cool, simmering intensity). But again, my main point is, he very well could have been more believable with the physicality of the role. he's been in numerous movies where he had to do action scenes, involving swords, and he was a dancer, etc. etc., and if there's one thing that bothered me slightly is that SLJ hasn't been ultra convincing with the physical part of the role.

8. Roger Goldleader

Roger Goldleader Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 1, 2000
    Well, regarding the subject question, he could have choked to death on a tuna sandwich.

But that wouldn't have been as exciting or tragic as what's in the movie.

And regarding his death, is it (a) ironic that Mace died by being thrown out a window, or (b) is his last name a bad pun (or foreshadowing) on being thrown out a window?

9. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Nice question MystikalMaceWindu! The dude from Gladiator and Constantine, right? Yeah, I see what you mean if that's him.

10. Blu-Bladed-Jedi

Blu-Bladed-Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    I dont think it would have made a difference. Yes the lightsaber wouldnt have been purple but frankly the purple is awesome. But I saw some original concept art (i forget where I saw it) that showed Mace's death at the hans of Boba Fett. IMO Boba would never have been able to kill Mace.

11. JediCouncilMaster

JediCouncilMaster Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 23, 2005
    I thought that too since it was likely the act of revenge. Mace would've owned Boba Fett. Never mess with the Jedi Master!

12. ANAKINOS

ANAKINOS Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 25, 2002
    i think his fate would have been sar laac pit hahahahah
    the same as boba

13. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    There's only two places you could've seen it. 1.) Supershadow, which is not a credible source. 2.) In the "Visionaries" book, which is considered Infinities and thus just the ILM staff killing time until Lucas gave them his initial plan for the film.

14. camifladge2

camifladge2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2005
    Super Shadows is a fraud.[face_skull] [face_laugh]

15. MystikalMaceWindu

MystikalMaceWindu Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2005
    Yup, that's the guy.
    He has also been in In America, Biker Boyz and Amistad.
    I just picture a more fluid fight scene. They could use a stunt double (that Kyle Rowling guy) for Palpatine, and then Djimon Hounsou could have easily handled all the Mace Windu scenes himself.
    Oh well..... That fight scene just felt stiff.... not as fluid and energetic as the Darth Maul/Obi-Wan and Anakin/Obi-Wan fights.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.