main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What would suck for the EU:

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Valiento, Feb 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Val,
    It depends on how he did it...
    "If lucas decided to show in episode 3, naboo is destroyed by a giant freeze ray and becomes the planet hoth."

If he used the Omega Frost to do it, then it would actually strengthen the EU. :D :D

2. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    Naboo = Naboo.

3. JadedofMara

JadedofMara Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    Well...if Naboo wasn't destroyed, dont you think SOMEONE would have written it into the EU? Stackpole wrote in the Nubian ship that padme had, and didnt Vector Prime mention padawans? (I think i might have made that up)

So naboo could be something else...i like the naboo=dagobah idea, myself :D

Now we know what the thing that almost ate artoo was....a giant, mutated Gungan!!!

:D

4. sith1137

sith1137 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2001
    but naboo is in the maps in the NJO books.

5. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Note that the EU doesn't dictate what happens in the movies. The movies are always subject to change on his whim. But honestly we just have to wait and see.

6. JadedofMara

JadedofMara Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    I know it doesnt, bt maybe none of them are writing Naboo because LFL put the "no go there" sign on it. Like the Clone Wars...

7. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    The EU writers aren't writing anything about Naboo because they simply don't know either way. Even if nothing happens to Naboo, Lucas wouldn't want to confirm that to anyone by letting the EU run with it. It's all supposed to be a surprise for the film.

Personally I don't think there's any reason for anything to happen to Naboo. It wasn't mentioned in the OT because it wasn't relevant to the story.

8. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    JadedofMara...
    "Well...if Naboo wasn't destroyed, dont you think SOMEONE would have written it into the EU?"

Welcome to the understanding of SW Limbo. While it's understandable to think like that, you sort of have to throw common sense out the window here, when dealing with Star Wars.

There are so many cases of "if XXX, then shouldn't someone have written it..." that are around, it boggles the mind. In fact, there's also so many of the opposite cases. Why did Thrawn, Mara, etc. just suddenly appear in 1991 and not before. Where were the Ryn hiding out prior to NJO.

Naboo exists in SW Limbo, because Waru, Ken, Kyle Katarn, Fenn Shysha, Danni the Zeltron, High Inquisitor Tremayne, etc. are all partying on Naboo. Sometimes, characters and places get tired of limbo and come out to play with their old friends. Sometimes they like it in limbo and like to stay there. And sometimes there's characters in Limbo first who manage to make it out and retro-actively set up an entire life outside of limbo.

9. Keyan_Stele

Keyan_Stele Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2000
    In response to the original message on this thread.
    Bah!
    A video game certainly is no basis for measuring canon. And I love video games, so don't get me wrong here. I think the Starfighter team had very little inside knowledge on something like Episode III (since Lucas hasn't written the script yet). Just because Hoth has an asteroid field and Naboo has an asteroid field, then they're one and the same?
    No.
    And if that does happen. SW will have reached a new low.
    OH, and what would suck for the EU? Well just about anything at this point as it's now been ruined totally and utterly by things like the Corellian Trilogy, the Black Fleet Crisis, Darksaber, Children of the Jedi, Plaent of Twilight, and the entire NJO.
    I think a controlled burn should be done on the EU and let's shrink it down a bit heh? There's way too many cult favorite characters now.

10. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Actually it was the TPM dvd that said lucas is behind many of the ideas in the games, and makes sure they are consistant with his vision, and storytelling, it was a video about starfighter and it's sequal.

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Probably the worst thing would be saying that Bel, Bail and Mothma didn't forge the rebellion. But then, that's unlikely since the rebellion obviously couldn't exist for 20 years without winning a victory, so it's doubtful we'll see it formed.

12. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Actually Bria forged the Rebellion. :D :) [face_plain] It was done with based in part on the successful exploits of Han Solo, Lando, Rik Duel and the other Smugglers Alliance members of the time in beating the Empire.

But, she wasn't "strong" enough to hold together her coalition of Sullustans, Mon Cals, and the other she got together. So, she passed it off to Mon Mothma.

13. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Quote:
    "the rebellion obviously couldn't exist for 20 years without winning a victory, so it's doubtful we'll see it formed"

I wouldn't necessarally jump to that conclusion. Stealing the Death Star plans was the first major victory. There's nothing to indicate that the Rebellion couldn't survive for 20 years, building their forces without winning a major victory. It's unlikely that some kind of rebellion wouldn't start immediatly after the Empire's creation. I for one am hoping that Padme starts the rebellion. That would be much more fitting, at least for the films.

14. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    If someone is going to ignore a videogame as being canon, you might want to disregard the Battle of Geonosis in Jedi Starfighter. [face_plain]

Also, the Star Wars Galaxies team went straight to Lucas to ask permission to use Naboo during the OT times, and he said "Yes".

This is a case where it's obvious that Naboo is not destroyed or morphed into another planet.

15. Wyl_Transerwnnyr

Wyl_Transerwnnyr Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2001
    I don't know, man. You never see them in the same place... [face_devil]

16. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Yup, Sturm's right. I read in an interview that GL was 'deeply' involved (at least it seemed really interested) in Galaxies. He wouldn't allow Naboo to be in if it was going to be destroyed in EPIII, I think.

And again, the asteroid field in Starfighter isn't located in the game, it could be anywhere in the GFFA...

And Genghis, you sure about that ??? Didn't she join one of the first groups of Rebellion, which was later or currently going to be all united by the Corellian Treaty ? I always thought she was no more than an officer, so to speak, and not an actual leader.

17. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    I wouldn't necessarally jump to that conclusion. Stealing the Death Star plans was the first major victory. There's nothing to indicate that the Rebellion couldn't survive for 20 years, building their forces without winning a major victory. It's unlikely that some kind of rebellion wouldn't start immediatly after the Empire's creation. I for one am hoping that Padme starts the rebellion. That would be much more fitting, at least for the films.

Yes, I agree.

As most EU fans know, the seeds for the Rebellion were certainly placed during the days of the Empire's formation.

Shortly after Palpatine announced himself as Emperor is when Mon Mothma left the Senate to aid the new resistance forces springing up, and the Ghorman Massacre occured. This was when anti-tax demonstrators were crushed by a ship commanded by Captain Willhuf Tarkin, later Moff. This was the point in which Bail Organa threw his lot in with Mon Mothma, and who knows, maybe Padme. ( I guess we'll see in a novel someday. )

Over the next 18 years or so, the various anti-Imperial groups were basically known as "rebels" ( uncapitolized ), "Rebellion", or "the Resistence" ( see Han Solo Trilogy. ) It took Organa, Mothma and Garm Bel Iblis to combine their main forces, as well as unite the others scattered across the galaxy, to become the Rebel Alliance, about one or two years before ANH.

The "space battle" alluded to in the ANH opening scroll isn't necessarily the first victory for the Rebellion, which had been having many succesful hit-and-fade missions over the years ( see X-wing as well as the CCG cards for the ANH Y-wing pilots ), but certainly the first major frontal attack made by the Rebel Alliance, which was won.

Oddly, this decisive battle is still not concretely shown in any sources. Some people think that it is the first succesful mission for the X-wing fighter at Turkana, seen in the opening scene of the X-wing game, but that happens months before ANH.

The radio drama hints that this battle was the one in which one set of the Death Star plans were stolen, from a convoy heading to the Imperial Vaults at Coruscant from Eriadu. ( The other set would be on Danuta, like the first set, also making its way to Leia with Operation Skyhook. ) The Marvel comics series shows that space pirate Crimson Jack retrofitted an Imperial Cruiser that was damaged and abandoned during this battle, in which he recieved funding from Jabba the Hut.

Personally, I consider the battle to be the one seen in the opening shots of the Rebel Assault game, for whatever reason.

18. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    "but naboo is in the maps in the NJO books."

So is Alderaan.

19. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    Yeah, but the point is Naboo is there, along with Hoth, Dagobah etc and all of the planets everyone says Naboo might be.

20. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    But of course they don't have a script of episode 3. If lucas decided he wanted to do something. Lucasarts would fix the problem by ripping naboo out of the game. As well LFL would say in demolition that track on naboo would also have to not exist.

Remember lucas prerogatives change like the winds. Ideas he created before, he forgets he did, or he alters the ideas. It doesn't cause much problem for the EU because they just make a fix. But there is quite a bit of knowledge that lucas has changed ideas before, just by looking at the annotated screen plays for one. So it's not useally useful to use the games even if he was involved with them to try to prove what will happen in the movies. It's why we have to wait and see. Naboo could get destroyed, altered, modified etc. Or maybe it will remain it's prestine self. We will just have to wait and see.

21. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Wild idea Val, but Lucas cant hate us that much! Besides,im wondering how many jedi he'll leave us to kill after 3.

22. palpatineson

palpatineson Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 7, 2001
    Actually Sturm, the battle for the death star plans are shown in Rebel Dream when Bria is stealing the plans for the death star on the surface of a planet and she just barely beams them up before she and her group are killed.

Obviously, this isn't very realistic since it is said that it is a major victory, but the end of the battle is still shown, and since they did get what they came for it can be considered a victory. I mean look at Vietnam or Afganistan.

Also, wasn't this story about Naboo and what planet it currently is been discussed before and discarded because of the positioning it would have to be in to be those planets and where the movie generally places it?

PrinceXixor, that asteroid field could be anywhere, but it is probably in the general area of the Naboo system since that is what the game is based around.

Ooh, and for Ghengish, Mara and Thrawn did not just appear, they were created just like a lot of things in the marvel comics or SotME. And the Ryn also did not just appear. It was explained that they were travelling nomads who had no home planet and were kicked out of any permanent settlement they tried to create, forcing them to travel the galaxy, making them almost an unamed species. They were probably some on Tatooine in TPM.

23. chissdude10

Jul 26, 2001
    Marvel didn't creat Thrawn!Zahn Did!

24. AdmiralZaarin

AdmiralZaarin Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2001
    Marvel didn't creat Zahn!Thrawn Did!

25. chissdude10

Jul 26, 2001
    Thats the second time you did that!