Chic, IL What would YOU combine with Star Wars in a media crossover?

Discussion in 'Mid West Regional Discussion' started by ThomSolo, Feb 14, 2006.

?

What would YOU combine with Star Wars in a media crossover?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
Star Trek 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Battlestar Galactica 2 vote(s) 13.3%
Firefly 1 vote(s) 6.7%
Farscape 3 vote(s) 20.0%
Doctor Who 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Transformers (a real crossover, that is) 1 vote(s) 6.7%
JLA/DC Comics 0 vote(s) 0.0%
X-Men/Marvel Comics 1 vote(s) 6.7%
World of Warcraft 2 vote(s) 13.3%
Other (list below) 5 vote(s) 33.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThomSolo Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Over in [link=http://boards.theforce.net/chicago_il/b10152/23045147/p1/?26]this thread[/link] discussing the upcoming Star Wars: Legacy comic miniseries, we got onto the subject of a Star Wars/JLA or Star Wars/X-Men crossover. That got me to thinking... while an actual crossover would most likely be pure drivel, it's a common fanboy dream to take two favorite worlds and mesh them together. So in that spirit of fun, what would you cross over with Star Wars? (if only to spite Lucas)

(edited for clarification of intent)
  2. Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Since all of those (except for WoW) have a galaxy/universe/setting based on Earth (either directly or indirectly), so to me, any crossover would seem too stupid and contrived to stomach. The superhero stuff would especially be hard to swallow. The only two that I think could be explained with the least stupidity (though still be stupid) would be Trek since each crew seemed to end up at one time or another in some bizzarro universe every few episodes. Having a crossover end up in the universe is one thing, having Darth Vader fight Wolverine is pure puke...and anyone writing such drivel should be the first up against the wall when the revolution comes.

Bosh
  3. MusicTrooper Jedi Master

star 4
    I voted other____STARGATE____would be my suggestion.

StarGate travels seem unlimited, and of course they got that
    quantum mirror thing.

also, think that the Foundation series from Asimov, has possililites,
    as the robots seem to have almost unlimited life spans, but there are
    probly others who know this better than I.

but, I am happy to have Star Wars remain in its own universe.
  4. ThomSolo Jedi Padawan

star 4
    The usual formula, even for the better crossover stories that I've read, involved a hyperspace/warp drive/jump drive/etc. malfunction that ejected a set of characters from one universe to another, thus bypassing the whole "we're based on Earth and you're not" scenario. An alternative to this would be the "naturally occurring (or freak/unnatural) transdimensional warp"... the mechanics of HOW a crossover occurs can be dealt with, the real difficulty would be in making the character interaction interesting and believable on all sides.

Or you could simply chuck continuity and logic, and throw a suggestion in there just for fun. That's really what this is about, not a serious discussion of viable crossovers. :) So, ignoring viability and going for fun, what would ppeople jusr love to see?

Dave,you don't have to answer again.. :)
  5. ThomSolo Jedi Padawan

star 4
    See, MusicTrooper has the right attitude about this poll. :)

BTW, one vote for Transformers needs to be switched to Doctor Who... I clicked the wrong button. [face_blush]
  6. FettFan79 Jedi Youngling

star 2
    oh yeah--Dr. Who would be a good one! I chose X-Men just because I like the movies...not saying I'd want to see Darth Vader/Wolverine, but hey, mutations among biological life forms can happen in any universe right???
  7. darthgoat Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I think the idea of crossovers is stupid. 99% of them are so hideously bad that there is no point but a simple marketing ploy.

With that in mind, I picked, to noone's surprise, WoW. I didn't pick it in the way that you think. I wouldn't want a crossover where Luke and Tyrande Whisperwind head out to the Emerald Dream to have tea with Malfurion Stormrage or where Chewie and Han go smuggle thorium and arcanite to Thrall in Orgrimmar. That is crazy talk. How could anyone besides a moron in marketting think that could work? It would be an exercise in retardation. What I would want is to have Blizzard take over development of ALL Star Wars games.

[rant]
    It used to be if you saw the LucasArts logo you were assured a superior quality product. You could buy it without reading a review because just seeing that logo meant you got your $50 worth.

Those days are long over.

LucasArts can't produce a good game. In fact they've produced two over the past 5 years that are truly memorable. I speak of course of KOTOR and the Jedi Outcast. Sure Academy and Republic Commando were ok but they weren't really ground breaking.

It has become clear that they have become EA. They have lost control and vision of their property.

The solution?

Blizzard.

The reason?

The abyssmal failure of Galaxies.

Galaxies should be the greatest game ever created in the universe ever. Instead it was a miserable piece of poo. Now the core gameplay has been changed so many times that the game itself boasts 10000 subscribers at peak hours. ONLY 10000 PEOPLE ARE PLAYING SWG. Nobody is interested anymore.

Take Sony out of the picture and give Blizz the task of creating a new SW MMO. Look at WoW. Incredibly fun to play, easy to pick up. It has everything a good game should. This is the formula SWG should have followed.
    [/rant]

8. Hazmatt Jedi Padawan

star 4
    WoW x SWG = Awesome, and by that I mean friggin' sweet.

Crossovers are indeed mostly stupid. I did enjoy AVP more than I thought I would, though.

The crossover I really want to see is the Hazmatt/Natasha Henstridge one. I'd pay real money for that to happen.
  9. Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I'm all for a Hazmatt/Henstridge crossover s'long as I'm directing.

The big problem with most franchise crossovers is that it tends to be much more about exploiting two markets than it is to actually create something cool. Crossovers tend to work best with comedy, where the ridiculousness of the crossover i s part of the joke. It also usually works well with superhero comics as the suspension of belief for the "world" tends to be on par with the suspension of belief required to believe the crossover.

Sorry Thom, I didn't realize that you had some set parameters about what kind of discusion you wanted...I'll try to conform.

D'
    "CROSSOVER THESE!"
  10. DarthAstuart Jedi Padawan

star 4
    you guys are inspiring me to write a very silly sprawling crossover of ALL these universes.
  11. Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master

star 4
    The best Star Wars crossover has already been done. That would be with the Muppets. It worked great in The Muppet Show although not as well in Return of the Jedi.

A crossover with the JLA could have been fun. I would imagine they would have had some mission in space and some accident (or boom tube) would have sent them to the GFFA. The major credibiltiy problem would be that if Superman and pals arrive during the Rebellion, why didn't they just round up and defeat the Empire? Of course, Superman is vulnerable to Kryptonite and magic. I would wonder if the Force counts as magic. If not, he could get zappeed by the Emperor and comment that it tickled.

I think a fun crossover would be with Flash Gordon. It's more in the line of space fantasy of the Original Trilogy. Lucas went on to make Star Wars since he couldn't get the rights to do a remake of Flash Gordon. Al Williamson has even drawn both properties, so they do have that in common.

Phil
  12. Hazmatt Jedi Padawan

star 4
    If you have not seen [link=http://www-fi3.starwreck.com/]Star Wreck: In the Pirkinning[/link], go download it now. It's not the best written or acted thing out there, and it's is Finnish, but it certainly is one of the best produced fan films I have seen.

It's a Star Trek/Babylon 5 crossover and the space scenes are stunning. Better even, I would say, than the [link=http://www.theforce.net/fanfilms/shortfilms/troops/]Troops[/link] follow-up, [link=http://impstherelentless.com/tek9.asp]I.M.P.S. - The Relentless[/link].

A word of warning: in "Star Wreck" they are definately trying to be dumbasses. Don't think that the subtitles are the result of bad Engrish translation. When they call photon torpedoes "light balls", it sounds as silly to a Finnish person as it does to you. That's part of the 'comedy'.

I think it shows what a motivated group of fans can do when you live in a country where the sun does not shine for 4 months out of the year.
  13. ThomSolo Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Now that would be very silly indeed. I want to read that.

Some fictional worlds lend themselves to crossovers more than others. As was pointed out, the super-hero genre is particularly ripe for such things. Star Wars is not, but it's fun to contemplate when you know it'll never happen.
  14. lordstarscream Jedi Youngling

star 1
    ROBOTECH nuff said imagine veritech fighters going after tie fighters how cool would that be:)
  15. darthgoat Jedi Padawan

star 4
    That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
  16. Fett402 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Agree
  17. Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Remember that 3-D multi-player Robot-Tech game room they had down on Navy Pier back in the mid-90's. I always had the call-name "Red 5" when I played. So obviously me and StarScream are great minds who think alike.

Bosh
    "Jesus wept." -John 11:35
  18. Fett402 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Do you realize how scare that statement is?
  19. lordstarscream Jedi Youngling

star 1
    that battletech center at north pier was awesome. my friends and i were there all the time .my call sign was tarkin think about it veritech fighters in the rebel fleet the imperials would not know what hit em :)
  20. lordstarscream Jedi Youngling

star 1
    hey goat you got any better ideas? nows the time to say them..
  21. darthgoat Jedi Padawan

star 4
    omg you cannot be serios r u serios?
  22. Fett402 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    DUDE!!! I think he's serios!!!!!!!

I could b wrong thouhg (I am a lil drunk....)
  23. Hazmatt Jedi Padawan

star 4
    You are wrong. This is a little drunk:

[image=http://www.decalfx.com/celeb2.jpg]
  24. Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan

star 4
    And this is a little Serios:

[image=http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/8970000/8977747.jpg]

D'
  25. Warsie Jedi Youngling

star 2
Thread Status: