main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What would you like to see @ CE?

Discussion in 'Archive: FanForce Conventions Europe' started by Lord-Tice, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    Okay, I confess. I've been paying extortionate amounts of money to gain information on Showmasters parties :rolleyes:
    I went to the last Collectormania Mk party they threw, plus I know a few crew members who usually mention about their parties (and not just the show related ones). So I hope that's good enough for you :p

The tricky thing with the party is deciding if it should be for over 18's only, or more family orientated. Either way, some kind of Star Wars live tribute band would be great, and one of those duelling bouncy castle things:
    [image=http://www.bounce-a-lot.co.uk/Glada1.jpg]

Maybe not for eveyone but seeing Jedis & Sith do battle would be priceless :D

2. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    That is tricky, how are they going to make it more family directed without taking away the alcohol. To be honest I can see a lot of people not going to the party if that happened. I know I wouldn't, well that or do what I did for the last CM party I went to which was drink before going.

3. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    The nice thing about the UK - not so anal about supervised children and alcohol - Some of the chain pubs have 'family' sections, so a party wouldn't have to be dry.

I'm going to reiterate the drum banging about having creative writing panels - not all fan fic is trash awful Mary sue, and I think it would be a great place to discuss the idea of a fan fic complation book ala 'Strange new worlds' for Star Wars.

4. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Well based on previous showmaster parties they had under 18's and didn't divide it up as it was impossible to do. Mind you that wasn't the concern of previous showmaster parties, it was the price of entrance, price of the alcohol and how it ran out part way through the evening.

I didn't go to the last one as I didn't have the money but I have a report from my friends and it didn't seem that it had been that much improved. Personally I would want to see what they have planned to see if it is better than their previous ones before I decide to go (that is if I a job in time)

5. gaiatha

gaiatha Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    At the risk of sounding old the bands at C@C3 were a little too loud for my taste :p
    I'm okay with loud bands (ask me about my ears meeting queens of the stone age :p) but at a party I'd prefer to talk to old and new friends rather than shouting at them ;)

6. jamierichards

jamierichards Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    hey lordtice,i reckon i could take you on one of those gladiator-style things!
    bring it on.
    ;)

7. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    I wont get too bogged down in nitty gritty details just yet, but you can still have alcohol at a family orientated party, it just means tighter controls needs to be put in place for buying alcohol (i.e going down the wristband route for over 18s). Also, the Collectormania parties have taken place at other venue's away from the convention venue's, meaning extra (big) costs needing to be covered by Showmasters. The idea of a CE party would be for it to take place at EC, so those additional costs wouldn't be quite the same. As for running out of alcohol, I didn't experience that last time but again, the venue they used was more a hospitality suite then a party/concert hall, so not a fair comparison.

The party could also be split into two parts. Family fun & games (a quiz, raffle, bingo....) at the beginning and then the live band seeing the night out for the later half. I don't think people will be put off by that, but for those that are then they can spend the evening in the pub if they prefer :p

I accept your challenge Jamie! But don't forget the damage I cause with that Cricket Bat ;)

The fanfic gathering/discussion would suit the ideas we have for a 'fan room' very nicely, so that'll be suggested :D

8. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    That has a big potential not to work

How about people actually asking for ID? ;)

As for running out of alcohol, they did big time. But considering they knew how many people were going as you had to buy a ticket it should have been planned ahead. As I said, after that my friends and I never drank at the parties again because of this and the prices they were charging.

9. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    To get a wristband, you have to show ID. It's what they enforced at C@C and recent gigs I've been to and means you only have to show ID once and then you're set for the night.

And if they ran out of alcohol, it's the MK National Hockey Stadium's fault and not Showmasters. They are incharge of the facility, SM just hire it. A party at EC would be a slightly different kettle of fish, after all EC is used to holding huge concerts while the MK hockey stadium is used to holding football matches for the MK Dons*.....nough said, lol. :p

* MK Dons are currently in the forth divison of English football ;)

10. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Matt, they still hosted the party. They sold tickets therefore they are still in charge and knew how many people there were going to be. I don't know about parties you go to but ones I go to the organisers are in charge of making sure that there is enough of everything.

All they have to do was check with the stadium and if not get them to order more in, bad organisation on their part for that.

11. veritasuk

veritasuk Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2004

I for one will join the 'get Denis Lawson to a celebration' campaign.

A really good costume exhibit would be nice.

That film showing all the SW tv ads because it makes me nostalgic.

12. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    I'm sure Showmasters will make an offer Mr.Lawson can't refuse.....or maybe not, perhaps :p
    I'll make special mention about him, along with Trish! :D

I also have a VHS tape full of toy ads from the 70's and 80's. It does start to drive you mad after a while, but it is very nostalgic and perfectly healthy in small doses ;)

13. pwinklespi

pwinklespi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 30, 2004
    Well, if the guy doesn't want to be there, I wouldn't want him there. We're there to have fun. If he is too good for it, or needs a big bag of cash to show up, let him stay home. If it wasn't for Star Wars, I wouldn't know who he was. It's not like he's Harrison Ford. He's wedge for pete's sakes.

14. pwinklespi

pwinklespi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 30, 2004
    Darth Lars, let's watch the yanks talk there. OK friend? MTFBWY!

15. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    *coughcough*Anchorhead*coughcough* :p

Damn, I'm really addicted to that now :p

16. Lord_Ogli

Lord_Ogli Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    I'd love there to be some full size props in there, If not a whole X-wing then atleast the cockpit so I can get in and have my pic taken. [face_praying]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.